Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance coverage but considering Mexico. Thoughts?

So, I changed insurances to one that covers VSG. As per usual, there are 983 hoops to jump through as well as all the co-pays, deductible, and co-insurance payment for the surgery. I'd probably end up paying the same amount after all that. Honestly, after reading so much here, I'd almost just rather forget the insurance crap & head to Mexico!! Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would still go with insurance. This way in case something goes very wrong you are for sure covered for everything.

There is also something to be said for having surgery/surgeon close to home.

I think there are some people who have chosen self pay though to avoid waiting.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Hi,

Jumping through the hoops can be aggrevating/discouraging, but will be worth it in the end. I felt the same way; time has flown by and now I am awaiting surgery scheduled later this month. I agree with Woo Woo, you want to be covered just incase something goes wrong.

Take care!

So, I changed insurances to one that covers VSG. As per usual, there are 983 hoops to jump through as well as all the co-pays, deductible, and co-insurance payment for the surgery. I'd probably end up paying the same amount after all that. Honestly, after reading so much here, I'd almost just rather forget the insurance crap & head to Mexico!! Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

If my insurance covered it. I would definitely wait. However, since mine does not by my employers exclusion. I am self pay. I have bounced back and forth on Mexico or local. Like Woo Woo said ...something comforting about having my surgeon local.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I went straight to Mexico but a lot of it was the type of insurance I could get through my employer was just as expensive but very restrictive.you could only get the surgery after 6 months of supervised weight loss and psych eval.both had to be done 250 miles away.That didn't include all the other test involved.If that weren't enough the deductable would be 4800.i knew people that went that route.they had complications.everyone who went to Mexico was fine.i asked the people who did it in USA and they felt that if they would have considered Mexico instead of discounting immediately

My sis in law had hers done in Mexico, m going to her doc there in feb for mine. She's been fine all along, no issues at all. If i had insurance that would cover it, i would stay here, but since i don't and the U.S. is soooooo expensive for self pay, I'm using her doc! Also the $4800 deductible is only about 800 more than I'll pay. Stay local if you can

50 year old me!!

My insurance covers wls however I'm going to Mexico. We don't have any in network providers here and I'm in Alaska so the option to travel to another city or state isn't available to me... my insurance will only cover 70% for out of network providers and the maximum out of pocket does not apply to bariatric surgery so I felt that ultimately it would be cheaper and faster for me to to go to Mexico

Edited by AK_Bookworm

A friend went to Mexico (A lighter me) she had a great experience and no issues. However I would be too paranoid to do that just in case something goes wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Hi!

My husband's employer excludes any weight loss services, including surgery so I am saving money to go to Mexico. My mom thinks this is crazy but I've read about great experiences. I also don't have 24 grand to spend. Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

I know about 10 friends and more friends of friends who have gone to Mexico now and they are all thriving :) no issues whatsoever. All of them came back with positive experiences and talked very highly about the cleanliness and professionalism there. They all live in Canada (as do I), where WLS is free if you fit a specific profile (high BMI...etc) however there is a long wait list- years.

I have chosen Mexico and confident I will get the best care there too. I have done intense research for a year now. Down to how they cut the stomach to the type of sutures particular dr.'s do and medical staples used. I also feel that these doctors are so specialized and doing these surgeries every single day, thousands of the exact same surgery over the years...so that comforts me too.

The only thing with choosing a place in Mexico is to choose carefully. My advice is do the research. Look at the doctors credentials, look at the professionalism in how they respond, their team they have hired, their ability to answer medical questions etc. Obviously finding a surgery for 2 grand may not be the "safe" option- beware of mall strip places lol

With that said, there are definitely very legal, very safe, very clean and very intelligent and capable surgeons in Mexico! I'm getting sleeved on Feb 9th with Dr. Lopez at Vida Health and Wellness hospital. I'm super excited and can't wait for this new journey :)

I feel the best overall advice for looking into Mexico is finding people who have went there and experienced it themselves. I chose my doctor by not only doing my own research but by compiling reviews from friends and others.