Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band no longer in place?!?

In an attempt to start 2017 on the right foot and use my band, I made an appointment to see my surgeon for a fill. He sent me for an upper GI which I had on Thursday. The radiologist showed me several of the pictures in which my port is placed, the catheter that transports the saline is there but there is no band placed around my stomach. He had me turn various ways and took pictures but he could not see the band at all. He said there was no indention in my stomach whatsoever. He expedited the pictures to my surgeon and I expect to hear from them early next week. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Background: I was banded December 2012 and lost a total of 67 pounds from pre-op diet to 2016. I recently put on 10 pounds after having my son.

Eeek, sounds like its majorly slipped or even popped during pregnancy (guideline here is total empty of band when pregnant so it doesn't snap).

Are you alright, no pain etc?

Keep us informed

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Wow, I had never heard of something like that happening before. I agree that it sounds like it must have come undone from all the anatomy shifting that pregnancy causes. I hope everything is ok for you.

The radiologist was completely dumbfounded. I have been having episodes similar to what happens when you are stuck for several months now. The radiologist is now wondering what is causing that considering the band is not around my stomach and my esophagus and swallowing were perfect on screen.

Fingers crossed for a quick diagnosis and hopefully not a hunting expedition - when do you see your surgeon?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I've never heard of it, but all things are possible. If the band in fact came undone and is floating, you probably should be glad that you haven't been in pain. All you can do is wait for the next step. Best wishes to you for not such bad news.

P.S. Are you sure your son didn't appear with an odd-looking object clutched in his tiny hand?

I've never heard of this. I hope all goes well and they figure out what is going on and it is easy to correct.

Edited by Treadmillwalker