Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is technically pre-op but I have questions about post-op.

I have my surgery tomorrow morning and I'm so beyond nervous!!! I'm scared I'll die, have a complication, the pain will be excruciating, etc.

I'm kind of just looking for support, kind words, prayers, and to see if anyone can tell me how bad their pain was and what the worst part was? Also, what does the gas pain feel like? It is bearable or is it horrid? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My pain was very tolerable. I was a lucky one in that I didn't have too much gas pain either. The nausea got to me more than anything but it's managed with the medication they give you. Just stay on top of your pain and nausea meds and you will be fine. It really wasn't a bad experience. You got this girl!!! Prayers coming your way.

You'll get a range of responses. Pain is individual.

I had very little pain. I didn't even experience the gas pain so many people report. I had some nausea, but never actually threw up. I have rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis and had to be off my meds for surgery, so by day 3 post op, that pain was worse than the surgery pain.

I was sore like I'd been kicked, and it was worse getting up out of bed, and I was slow to move, but walking helped once I got going.

I will tell you that the hospital will be prepared with meds to deal with nausea and pain. And they will push you to get up and walk because it does help.

You'll do great!!

You have this! My surgery is tomorrow too! Message me- let's do this!

My pain was very tolerable. I was a lucky one in that I didn't have too much gas pain either. The nausea got to me more than anything but it's managed with the medication they give you. Just stay on top of your pain and nausea meds and you will be fine. It really wasn't a bad experience. You got this girl!!! Prayers coming your way.

Thank you so much! I pray my recovery goes just as well :)

I had very little pain. I didn't even experience the gas pain so many people report. I had some nausea, but never actually threw up. I have rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis and had to be off my meds for surgery, so by day 3 post op, that pain was worse than the surgery pain.

I was sore like I'd been kicked, and it was worse getting up out of bed, and I was slow to move, but walking helped once I got going.

I will tell you that the hospital will be prepared with meds to deal with nausea and pain. And they will push you to get up and walk because it does help.

You'll do great!!

Thank you !! I'm so excited, just super nervous that something will go wrong.

You'll do great!!

Thank you !! I'm so excited, just super nervous that something will go wrong.

Nerves are normal. I've had at least 6 different surgeries and never had issues and I still got nervous. Everyone has different pain tolerances. for me the pain was manageable without medication after the first day. I walked a lot the first day...I think that is what helped with the gas pain. I had a lap band 11 years ago and I remember that being a harder recovery. I think i learned my lesson and was more diligent about the walking this time on day one. I asked to be released on day 2 but they wouldn't because protocol was 2 nights.

If you were not nervous I'd be worried about you. You are permanently altering your body. But it was the most important alteration I have made it my life. It not only made me healthier, but it has created more positive changes than I can count. I was up and walking within minutes of waking up. Pain? More like mild discomfort. But it depends on what you put in on the front end. I suspect you will look back in a few weeks and go, "why in the heck did I freak myself out?" But that's OK, we all do. Good luck tomorrow.

The day of surgery, and the first couple of days after weren't fun at all, but the pain and discomfort was no where near as bad as I thought they would be. By Day 3 post-op, I was firmly on the rebound and on my way to feeling much, much better.

My advice is the same as the others: walk as much as you can in the hospital and at home in the first few days, get back out in the world and walk (even if it is at Walmart or the mall) as soon as possible (I promise this is a very healing thing), and push yourself to meet your Protein and Water goals from the very first day.

Good luck! Nothing will completely calm your nerves, but trust me when I tell you that it isn't as bad as you imagine that it will be.

It's normal to be nervous. I had some nausea and discomfort-not really. Just follow instructions from doc and you'll be fine. I'm 6 weeks post and down 33lbs. You have lots to look forward to!

Nerves are normal. I've had at least 6 different surgeries and never had issues and I still got nervous. Everyone has different pain tolerances. for me the pain was manageable without medication after the first day. I walked a lot the first day...I think that is what helped with the gas pain. I had a lap band 11 years ago and I remember that being a harder recovery. I think i learned my lesson and was more diligent about the walking this time on day one. I asked to be released on day 2 but they wouldn't because protocol was 2 nights.

My plan is to walk as much as possible! So was your pain the first day unbearable then? Or just painful but the pain meds helped?

If you were not nervous I'd be worried about you. You are permanently altering your body. But it was the most important alteration I have made it my life. It not only made me healthier, but it has created more positive changes than I can count. I was up and walking within minutes of waking up. Pain? More like mild discomfort. But it depends on what you put in on the front end. I suspect you will look back in a few weeks and go, "why in the heck did I freak myself out?" But that's OK, we all do. Good luck tomorrow.

I really appreciate your response, thank you so much. Hopefully I have a recovery as good as yours! I've had terrible back pain and also very awful gerd. Hopefully this isn't worse than that :)

The day of surgery, and the first couple of days after weren't fun at all, but the pain and discomfort was no where near as bad as I thought they would be. By Day 3 post-op, I was firmly on the rebound and on my way to feeling much, much better.

My advice is the same as the others: walk as much as you can in the hospital and at home in the first few days, get back out in the world and walk (even if it is at Walmart or the mall) as soon as possible (I promise this is a very healing thing), and push yourself to meet your Protein and Water goals from the very first day.

Good luck! Nothing will completely calm your nerves, but trust me when I tell you that it isn't as bad as you imagine that it will be.

I seriously hope it's not as bad as I think! Thank you so much for responding.

I needed very little pain medication. I also have no memory of gas pains. I had severe nausea but the doctors and nurses helped manage it. Honestly this was the easiest surgery I have ever had. Sip and walk as much as possible. I am 8 weeks out and down 45 pounds.

I wish you the best!

I felt no pain , had no nausea aND no nausea. Went off pain meds after day 2. Don't expect the worst or you just might get it.