Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will this process take?

Hello, I have just started this surgery track at umass in worcester,ma. I am 5'6 240lbs with sleep apnea and a few secondary conditions. I have my first consults with surgeon and psych next week. How long from these initial appointments is the average time until surgery?
I have been working with their weight-loss center for 6 months tracking food and exercise and have only fluctuated 5-10lbs. Nervous, anxious and excited to get the ball rolling.

For me, I started the process on July 22nd and had surgery Nov 1st. About 3 months. The time actually went by very quickly. Good luck!

It took me a year from the day I started my education/supervised diet (6 months of monthly classes) to when I finally was able to get it approved and scheduled. My insurer had a lot of prerequisites and then I just needed to find a good window of time where I could get it done.

I have my first appointment on Thursday for my initial consultation. My insurance does not have a waiting period so they told me it could be anywhere from 2-3 months depending on how soon I was able to schedule all appointments and if everything went smoothly. They said total would be about 11 appointments. I'm going to Lahey in Burlington, MA.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

From feb 16 until nov 28th of 16, surgery date. Depends on the insurance you have and their rules.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Thank You! This all gives me a bit of an idea of what to expect as far as timing goes. Especially since I have already been working with them for a few months it could be in the first quarter of next year! I'd love to have it done before I turn 30 in May.

I think it all depends on what your insurance and your doctor requires because my insurance didn't require any medically supervised weight loss so I didn't have to do the standard 3-6 months of weight loss tracking. My first appointment was on Sep 9 and my surgery is on Dec 5, I could of had it the second week of November but there were some scheduling conflicts, so for me less than 3 months

First consult was in January, then had to do 6 months supervised visits and surgery was 10/25. Almost a full year but the time is helpful to get yourself mentally ready.

Sent from my iPhone

I started in May, finished the program in August, I got my call to schedule surgery in October but needed to move to Nov. Having it at UMass Memorial on the 17th, completed my pre-op testing today. I believe it's up to your insurance company how fast it happens, I have Tufts

7 months, 1 week from initial appointment to the day of surgery. Approval came 6 months, 2.5 weeks after my initial appointment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

It took me a year to get the prereqs done, 2.5 months to unsuccessfully switch from BCBS medical to pure medical and 3.5 months to get BCBS to aporove. Total 18 months.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

I started in May, finished the program in August, I got my call to schedule surgery in October but needed to move to Nov. Having it at UMass Memorial on the 17th, completed my pre-op testing today. I believe it's up to your insurance company how fast it happens, I have Tufts

Are you having surgery at Memorial or University? I would love to pick your brain about the program. I also have Tufts.

I started my process June 22. Because I had been working out and tracking food each day, I was told that I could be approved closer to 3 months rather than the normal 6 months. Sure enough, I was referred to surgeon Sept 22. Due to a family medical emergency, I have decided to have surgery early January 2017.

Edited by John Pullen

I started everything in April. Got approved last week and have surgery December 6th.