Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Sample Menu

Okay - so I really can't do Protein shakes. As soon as they hit, the come right back up. I've tried 6 brands and endless flavors. What are your guys' days look like with *only* Protein from food?

Female, VSG, 7 weeks post op. SW 310. CW 264.

Cottage cheese. I have also added flavourless protein to some of my meals to boost. Eg cottage cheese with puréed berries to sweeten and 1tbs Protein powder. I have also added a tablespoon of Protein Powder to my chili, Soups etc. , ground chicken works well for me. Eg had 1/2 bell pepper with a ground chicken mix for lunch...was delish! Beans are good options that work for lots of people, Made hummus for Snacks...eggs work for Snacks as well.

So it might look like cottage cheese for Breakfast

Egg for snack

Chili with protein powder boot for lunch

Hummus for snack with cucumbers

Sashimi for dinner

I've also done

2 poached eggs for Breakfast with 1/4 squash

Cottage cheese for snack

Soup with protein boost for lunch

Hummus snack

Stuffed pepper for dinner.< /p>

I prefer the shakes for my mornings or I end up reducing the protein portion as I don't want a lot of food in the morning. I've been blending my shake with 1/2 banana and 1tbs of PB2 and drinking that for breakfast. I've never been a breakfast eater...used to do a Starbucks mocha for breakfast...my replacement is much healthier...though I do miss the coffee flavour!

Edited by Travelher

I really like Fage Total 0% greek yogurt - plain. I'll mix it with onion dip mix or ranch dip mix to make a veggie dip and eat with some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers ... tried carrots but my pouch isn't quite ready for those yet. I can also make it "sweeter" rather than savory and mix it with one of my sugar free Torani syrups and just eat it. Sometimes I will mix some oatmeal into it. 1c gives you 23g of protein! I can't eat 1c at a time, but i can eat it throughout the day to get the full cup. It's been hard for me to really EAT much. I have been relying pretty heavily on my Premier Protein vanilla ready made shakes. I mix those with coffee flavored Protein powder - I've tried Fit, Click and Chike. I like both the Fit and Click brands best. I use the vanilla latte flavor in both brands. I mix that in with the vanilla shake, my benefiber and my Miralax and drink for breakfast - it actually takes me all morning at work to drink it, but it gives me like 50g of protein. Sometimes, I add a little salt just to take away the "Sweet" flavor...just depends on my mood. Egg whites, if you can tolerate eggs, are also good protein. Non-fat re fried Beans are good protein. I eat those mixed with some reduced fat shredded cheese - good protein. I find that i need to add in some of the organic chicken stalk to them though - to make them a little easier to get down. One thing I was doing for awhile was taking reduced fat cheese slices, cutting into four little pieces, place on a baking tray and bake for like 5 minutes to make cheese crackers. So good, but do that sparingly!! Lots of fat if you eat too much. Check out the world according to eggface website - she has SO many great recipes, ideas, etc. I lived on her site for the first 6 weeks after my RNY surgery. She's on pinterest too. Good luck!!

Here is what I did yesterday:

9:30am: Scrambled eggs (7.5 g of protein)

9:35am: Dry Period

10:05am: Drink Period (50 oz water)

11:06pm: Dry Period

11:42am: String cheese (7 g of protein)

11:50am: Dry Period

12:30pm: Drink Period (16 oz water)

12:46pm: Dry Period

1:15pm: Salmon/Green Beans (13 g of protein)

1:20pm: Dry Period

1:50pm Drink Period (16 oz water)

2:11pm: Dry Period

2:45pm: Cottage cheese (13 g of protein)

2:53pm: Dry Period

4:15pm: Salmon/Green Beans (13 g of protein)

4:25pm: Dry Period

4:55pm: Drink Period (8 oz Decaf Iced Tea)

5:15pm: Dry Period

5:52pm: Scrambled eggs (7.5 g of protein)

5:57pm: Dry Period

6:27pm: Drink Period (8 oz Decaf Iced Tea)

6:45pm: Dry Period

7:15pm: Salmon/Green Beans (13.5 g of protein)

7:25pm: Dry Period

7:55pm: Drink Period (8 oz Decaf Iced Tea)

8:15pm: Dry Period

8:45pm: Cottage Cheese (13 g of protein)

910 calories/18.5 carbs/86.0 grams of Protein

Edited by blizair09

Im trying to add some variety. I don't like the Protein shakes either. But Premier Protein Shakes are about the closest I've come to tolerable shakes.

Today I had:

8am: coffee, small

9am: Oikos Zero yogurt, 5 oz, eaten over an hour

11:30 half of a Quest bar

12:30 Half of a Premier Protein shake. (If you drink them really cold, they are ok-ish).

2:00 tuna salad, 2 oz

3:00 cardio workout

4:00 1/4 cup cottage cheese

5:00 1 oz of rotisserie chicken (I keep fresh rotisserie chicken in the fridge when I want a quick fix)

7pm 2 oz of ground turkey with Tomato sauce

10pm 2 or 3 oz of oikos yogurt (eating as I type this :-)

60 oz of Water drank throughout the day

According to my fitness pal I consumed 75grams of Protein and 28g carbs for the day.

Thanks! I've tried premier cold - if I have to drink one, chocolate is the only one I can get down without the instant nausea. I'll look into these options.

You guys are doing great! I cannot eat that much - but it's definitely not good to be at the 500ish calories I am!

Okay - so I really can't do Protein shakes. As soon as they hit, the come right back up. I've tried 6 brands and endless flavors. What are your guys' days look like with *only* Protein from food?

Female, VSG, 7 weeks post op. SW 310. CW 264.

Cottage cheese. I have also added flavourless protein to some of my meals to boost. Eg cottage cheese with puréed berries to sweeten and 1tbs protein powder. I have also added a tablespoon of protein powder to my chili, Soups etc. , ground chicken works well for me. Eg had 1/2 bell pepper with a ground chicken mix for lunch...was delish! Beans are good options that work for lots of people, Made hummus for Snacks...eggs work for Snacks as well.

So it might look like cottage cheese for breakfast

Egg for snack

Chili with protein powder boot for lunch

Hummus for snack with cucumbers

Sashimi for dinner

I've also done

2 poached eggs for breakfast with 1/4 squash

Cottage cheese for snack

Soup with protein boost for lunch

Hummus snack

Stuffed pepper for dinner.< /p>

I prefer the shakes for my mornings or I end up reducing the protein portion as I don't want a lot of food in the morning. I've been blending my shake with 1/2 banana and 1tbs of PB2 and drinking that for breakfast. I've never been a breakfast eater...used to do a Starbucks mocha for breakfast...my replacement is much healthier...though I do miss the coffee flavour!

Do you use powder shake or premade in the morning?

I really like Fage Total 0% greek yogurt - plain. I'll mix it with onion dip mix or ranch dip mix to make a veggie dip and eat with some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers ... tried carrots but my pouch isn't quite ready for those yet. I can also make it "sweeter" rather than savory and mix it with one of my sugar free Torani syrups and just eat it. Sometimes I will mix some oatmeal into it. 1c gives you 23g of protein! I can't eat 1c at a time, but i can eat it throughout the day to get the full cup. It's been hard for me to really EAT much. I have been relying pretty heavily on my Premier Protein vanilla ready made shakes. I mix those with coffee flavored Protein powder - I've tried Fit, Click and Chike. I like both the Fit and Click brands best. I use the vanilla latte flavor in both brands. I mix that in with the vanilla shake, my benefiber and my miralax and drink for breakfast - it actually takes me all morning at work to drink it, but it gives me like 50g of protein. Sometimes, I add a little salt just to take away the "Sweet" flavor...just depends on my mood. Egg whites, if you can tolerate eggs, are also good protein. Non-fat re fried Beans are good protein. I eat those mixed with some reduced fat shredded cheese - good protein. I find that i need to add in some of the organic chicken stalk to them though - to make them a little easier to get down. One thing I was doing for awhile was taking reduced fat cheese slices, cutting into four little pieces, place on a baking tray and bake for like 5 minutes to make cheese crackers. So good, but do that sparingly!! Lots of fat if you eat too much. Check out the world according to eggface website - she has SO many great recipes, ideas, etc. I lived on her site for the first 6 weeks after my RNY surgery. She's on pinterest too. Good luck!!

Yeah, I did a ton of her mushy recipes!!! She's great [emoji4]

You may be lactose intolerant have you tried any non-dairy based Protein shakes?

Jay Robb makes egg based Protein Shakes and Syntrax nectar makes fruit flavored diary free shakes as well.

I am 3 years out but...I still need to supplement my Protein to get enough. I use GENEPRO nonflavored Protein, I add it to my coffee every day. It has 30grams of protein for 1 Tablespoon. But you need to put it in some warm Water and whip it a little before you add it to your hot stuff. It is the only one I have found that is not gross. MYOPLEX Rich Dark chocolate isn't bad either. I can't stand Premier Protein. I am Lactose intolerant and that is what the DR had me use for 2 weeks preop and 4 weeks postop. Needless, to say I suffered from the back door trots. That is NOT the way to lose your weight for sure!! Good Luck on your Quest.

I am 3 years out but...I still need to supplement my Protein to get enough. I use GENEPRO nonflavored protein, I add it to my coffee every day. It has 30grams of protein for 1 Tablespoon. But you need to put it in some warm Water and whip it a little before you add it to your hot stuff. It is the only one I have found that is not gross. MYOPLEX Rich Dark chocolate isn't bad either. I can't stand Premier Protein. I am Lactose intolerant and that is what the DR had me use for 2 weeks preop and 4 weeks postop. Needless, to say I suffered from the back door trots. That is NOT the way to lose your weight for sure!! Good Luck on your Quest.< /p>

Thank you!

@@rolosmom7 One thing I did early on that helped me get the Protein shakes down was to blend them with ice. It increased the volume a bit, so the shake wasn't so heavy and it really helped me get my fluids in when it was so hard to do.

@@rolosmom7 One thing I did early on that helped me get the Protein Shakes down was to blend them with ice. It increased the volume a bit, so the shake wasn't so heavy and it really helped me get my fluids in when it was so hard to do.

Thanks - me and cold things aren't friends these days. But I did finally find a Protein Bar I can eat!!! Oh yeah PB pie - coffee shop at work sells various bars, figured if I tried enough frogs I'd find a prince. So I'm excited about that!

Blending with ice definitely helps me as well. I seem to be able to get ice cold things in easier than anything else. I am 14 weeks out (tomorrow) and have been having a REALLY difficult time eating actual food. I've had a lot of nausea, vomiting, major Constipation (sorry, TMI I know). I've been on ALL kinds of medicine for all of those symptoms....the 24/7 nausea has finally started to pass, now it is only occasional, which is so much better. BUT, I really need to start eating actual food. Any ideas?? meat does not seem to work for me - I was never a huge fan pre-surgery, but since surgery, meat just does not agree with my new pouch. eggs seem to be too difficult as well. I need some high Protein, low carb, low fat, low sugar ideas.