Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting in Protein

I am 2 weeks out and I'm feeling good but I'm not able to get in all 120 mg of the Protein that I'm needing. I sip Water and Gatorade all day can't finish one in a day this is really troubling I'm not even hungry I eat Jello a lot I'm tired of jello I can start my soft foods tomorrow so hopefully I can get more protein in with that. I ordered GENEPRO protein to make the size of protein to go in the food or drink and not change the consistency. Any other ideas on getting in protein?? Help me!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Thendy Are you drinking Protein shakes? Instead of the Jello - try some Protein shake/drink - many have 20-30 gms of protein in a serving. You can replace the Gatorade (hopefully not full sugar one) with Isopure (Protein drink) or Atkins Lift. It's unlikely you'll be able to meet 120 mg of protein on foods this early out. You will have to supplement.

Wow......11 months out and it's likely I've never gotten 120 grams in for more thatn a day or two in a row.

I guess I'd be using shakes if my goal was that high.

Generally in the beginning you should be drinking Protein shakes. As time goes on after a few months you can begin to transition to Protein Bars. For the first couple weeks after surgery, your body is in a major heal mode and it is common for patients to be unable to meet the Fluid and Protein daily requirements that your surgeon provide you. But just keep trying to meet your daily requirements and you should be able to get there soon.

The rule of thumb is 30 grams at 30 days, 60 grams at 60 days and 90 grams at 90 days. I came nowhere near that. I wasn't able to eat 50 grams until 6 months out. So I supplemented with a Protein shake everyday for the first 2 years.

You're only 2 weeks out! Hydration is waaaayyyy more important than Protein right now. Keep sipping and walking. BTW, I ate 1 tsp. of scrambled eggs (as a meal) when I was at your stage and then I was full. In addition, it took a long time for any hunger to return. Thankfully, it does. :)

If you PM me your email addy, I can send you the documents my DS surgeons & nutrit. distribute. There are meal ideas in there.

You're right to aim for 120 grams, eventually. I eat more than that a day. But you have an infant DSers' stomach right now. You'd never be able to get 120 grams in at 2 weeks out.

Edited by Postop

@@Dub I just saw my dietitian and she wants me to get 110g/day. I HAVE to supplement to do it, which makes it seem like an unattainable goal for me. I consistently get 80-90 but she's not happy :rolleyes:

I shoot for an average of 100g of Protein a day. But some days it just doesn't happen. But it is my eating priority.

I am 2 weeks out and I'm feeling good but I'm not able to get in all 120 mg of the Protein that I'm needing. I sip Water and Gatorade all day can't finish one in a day this is really troubling I'm not even hungry I eat Jello a lot I'm tired of Jello I can start my soft foods tomorrow so hopefully I can get more Protein in with that. I ordered GENEPRO protein to make the size of protein to go in the food or drink and not change the consistency. Any other ideas on getting in protein?? Help me!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The best thing I have found is Premier Protein shakes at Sams Club. 30 Grams of Protein for 11 oz. You can sip on it till you finish it because it has a cap you can put back on and put it back in the fridge or a cooler at work. I am now 4 months out and drinking at least on of them a day is the only way I can get enough protein.

120 g of Protein is a lot, especially at two weeks out. My plan calls for 40-50 g right now, and I am getting a little over 50 every day. My nutritionist is asking me to top out at 80 g when I finish moving through the stages. I think that 100 g is probably more appropriate, but we'll see when the time comes. (My nutritionist and my plan are both very conservative.)

As a matter of reference, during my six-month pre-op low carb/high Protein diet, I generally came in between 100-120 g of protein per day, but it was usually below 120 g. And that was having eggs and bacon at Breakfast, a premier Protein shake at lunch, and a dinner anchored by 6-8 oz of some kind of meat.

Edited by blizair09

I am a week post-op and still on modified liquids. I am supposed to aim for 64oz liquids/day and 60g Protein. The two things that have been very helpful for me are milk (nonfat, which has between 10-13 grams of Protein depending on the brand) and adding whey Protein powder to Vitamin Water (thereby making 16oz of Vitamin Water have 37g of protein). Also, I sip bone broth throughout the day instead of regular broth (10+ grams or protein in 8 oz).