Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Help With Working Out / Training - Clueless.

So here's my story. I was sleeved on 12/31/12 - started at 302, dropped to 182... now knocking on four years out I bounce between 195 and 202 after that initial rebound. I wanted to hit 175, but that didn't happen.

I'm now 36. I've never worked out in my life. Never lifted weights, no sports... nothing. I want to improve the way I look by the time I turn 40 - I've got 3.5 years to do it. I want to knock the weight down to 175, and add muscle in the process to just have a nice build by my deadline.

I'm clueless where to start - the gym is intimidating and when I browse the net I get overloaded with so many different articles, and most of them are aimed at people who have at least some experience with weight training.

I was thinking starting with running to burn the fat and get it down before starting to lift. Thoughts? Should I start lifting/weight training at the same time? What are good exercises for literally a beginner - I have no strength at all and would have to start with ridiculously low weights.

Thanks for any help.

Following

I know this is posted in the "mens room".. but ill put my 2c worth anyway.

If you have not been exercising you should build up to it, otherwise you will be sore and could possiby injure yourself if you do too much too quick...

Start by doing cardio, walking and a pace that is vigorous enough that you have to slightly catch your breath to have a conversation...

Then once this gets easier increase the incline and speed.. when you get to the point that it is no longer a struggle, alternate between cardio and weights...

Aim to exercise 4-5 times a week, allow yourself 2 rest days, preferably after your weight training days.

If you can afford it, perhaps meet with a personal trainer to create a plan for you... and to teach you to lift properly and give you the right amount of repetitions for each target area.

If hiring a trainer is not possible... invest in a range of hand weights, dumbells, kettlebells and resistance bands....( there are literally hundreds of videos on youtube that have info on what to do and reps required.. just search for the target areas... bodybuilding.com has some good advice too.

Edited by AussieGirl81

Get a trainer. You're just going to injure yourself without guidance. It doesn't have to be a ton of sessions, just have the trainer teach you how to start and go from there.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

A trainer is always a good option for beginners as they don't just tell you what to do but show you how to do it...which is just as important, if not more important...especially for avoiding injury.

There is also a site where you can either build custom workouts or choose pre-made workouts for various muscle groups and each exercise is illustrated to show you the proper technique as well. Many of the exercises can be done at home with no equipment or minimal equipment if you want to invest in a workout ball, bosu ball, or resistance bands/dumbbells. It's a great resource. It's called workoutlabs.com

Best of luck.

Call the gyms in your area, talk to them , also another suggestion is to do a class like a booty fit , or a boot camp- many of these classes uses your own body weight and can help you with positioning, some indoor classes uses small weights like 2-15 lbs as well - so see what's in your neck of woods and choices of support , and make your decision from there in my opinion anyhow

Elliptical and Water aerobics are great low impact exercises.

Gyms can be intimidating places, especially for men. But it can also be nice to have a dedicated space and time for exercise.

As the others have suggested a trainer can be a great resource but not in everyone's budget.

Spark people is a good site for beginners. They have videos that are good too. Fitness blender is another good site/app. You can customize what type of workouts you want. E.g. body weight exercises, dumbell, etc

I would pick a simple set of exercises from the sites and give them a try for 2 to 4 weeks.

2 most important things are: be as consistent as possible and take it slowly! Building up takes time.

Talk with your doctor.

Best of luck!!

You want to enjoy your new undertaking; it's a discovery voyage. As a clueless person, you'll do well to join a Y, community center or private gym that includes a free session or two with a CPT at sign-up. Get started and, if you still feel the need for guidance when you're ready to step it up, pay for another session or two.

I think a gym is intimidating only when you don't what you're doing and looking at. You'll not be the only beginner. Most people who are advanced at considerate if not helpful. They haven't forgotten their virgin days. Anyone who looks at you in a sneery fashion deserves to dwell in that mentality.

When it comes the all the strength machines, it's important to know which to stay away from as a newcomer and until muscles in certain parts are in good shape. Otherwise you're courting injury. This is why a trainer is important. You also want a trainer so that you learn how to adjust and use the machines properly.

Speaking in basic terms, you do want to do cardio and strength...in that order. Schedule yourself for two or three days of rest during a week. Muscles need recovery time.

I doubt that you'll need "ridiculously low weights." If you can lift that baby with one hand, you're a powerhouse. Sort of. Even if you need two hands, you're a powerhouse. Where you start is less important than where you're headed.

Think "Tiger." Grrrr.

Body alignment is very important!! You only have one back. So a place that has free trainers is planet fitness it only cost $10 a month they have a lot of machines too. I use the elliptical, treadmill, and the 30 min room.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Forgot to mention in my original reply. I do think it's important to lift some weight during workouts (once cleared by surgeon of course for those still healing). The reason being is that most of us are on a low-carb diet and our bodies will use stored fat for energy, but they will also use muscle for energy as well. I think it's important to workout with weights to build up this muscle and prevent/replace the loss. Also, Protein helps repair the muscles after workouts so be sure to keep your protein intake where it needs to be.

A trainer is always a good option for beginners as they don't just tell you what to do but show you how to do it...which is just as important, if not more important...especially for avoiding injury.

There is also a site where you can either build custom workouts or choose pre-made workouts for various muscle groups and each exercise is illustrated to show you the proper technique as well. Many of the exercises can be done at home with no equipment or minimal equipment if you want to invest in a workout ball, bosu ball, or resistance bands/dumbbells. It's a great resource. It's called workoutlabs.com

Best of luck.

AND trainers push you and you find you can do so much more than you think. When I had a trainer, we learned not to tell me what weight I was lifting until I had already lifted it. It was SHOCKING the amount I could lift, safely and sometimes even easily! Now I can't afford one but I definitely wish I had one!!!! HIIT is a good way to lift but you need to watch form carefully and I'd recommend finding a class to join as they usually have trainers teaching them that can give you guidance throughout.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Oh! And about the gym... Remember 2 things: 1- most of the folks there are too absorbed in themselves to notice what you're doing, 2- you are improving YOU the best you know how and... those who matter to you are glad for your efforts and those who aren't glad or don't care don't really matter to you. ♡ besides, you sound pretty slender already sp the judgment from the small minded, there to make fun of people, jerks won't be making fun of you. :) there aren't nearly as many of those as you'd think. I used to go to a BIG Gold's Gym and the intimidating people were far too absorbed in staring at themselves while they worked out and the judgmental people were easy to steer clear of - just find a place away from them to exercise and you forget they exist!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I hate to be the one to go against the grain, but I personally do not like trainers. In my experience trainers in gyms like Gold's or Planet Fitness and etc... will do the bare minimum to keep you paying for their services. All of the ones I have had dealings with wanted to show my the latest exercise fad or the "quick way" to get ripped or burn fat... they are fitness marketers. I was told how to do so many exercises improperly and told so many outright stupid things in the beginning because of my belief that my trainers knew what they were talking about. Half of my injuries are my own fault, but I do blame the rest of the bad information I was given from trainers.

A sports physical therapist however is all about safely strengthening. If you can get an appointment with them, you'll be getting some good information. And depending on your insurance, it might be covered!

Now, as for getting into the weight room and building muscle, we all have to start somewhere. If you see anyone with judgmental looks, you know to never take their advice because they are there for the wrong reasons. Those are the ones that are there for posing; trying to look hardcore or there for selfies... ugh, hate those douchebags. More often than not, after a few weeks of seeing the same people, I find the true vets will come up and sometimes give advice or talk. I'd take whatever they would give me and verify it online or with my doctor before trying it. Or I just wouldn't try it because it didn't fit into my goals.

Oh, and I would like to mention that when I started back at the gym after surgery, I was the guy with the ridiculously low weights and being completely exhausted after 20 minutes of "working out". You just have to stick to it. Show your determination and leave your ego in the locker room. Bringing ego or machismo into the weight room is a recipe for injury.

If you want, you can look at a couple of the threads I have on here about my routine. I am obsessed with avoiding injury, so it should be pretty safe. But always, ALWAYS, verify with your doctor, internet, or therapist before starting.

I just posted a similar thread in the fitness section. I have had trainers in the past prior to surgery and, now that I've been sleeved I have found it to be a lot for me to just dive into an intense workout regimen. I would suggest that you try doing some at home stuff to get you moving and build some stamina. I use the YouTube app on my smart tv and have found that the fitnessblender channel has a lot of great workouts to help get you started and lay a good foundation for your body and muscular system. Check it out.

Kyle