Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 15 days post op and would love a sip or two of Coke Zero. Has anyone had any carbonated beverage or diet soda? I know it's a no no but wonder if anyone has had it. My Mom is 10 years post and and loves Coke. Probably has 1-2/day and hasn't gained a pound since losing 150lbs. I know everyone is different.

It's not advised ever to drink carbonated beverages because it can do damage to your pouch, but I don't know of any surgeon anywhere who is going to tell you it is ok at 15 days post op mainly because your stomach is still healing and that fresh suture line will never be able to hold up to the acidity of that soda nor to the gas from the carbonation. It's really just a bad idea.

It's not advised ever to drink carbonated beverages because it can do damage to your pouch, but I don't know of any surgeon anywhere who is going to tell you it is ok at 15 days post op mainly because your stomach is still healing and that fresh suture line will never be able to hold up to the acidity of that soda nor to the gas from the carbonation. It's really just a bad idea.

Never thought of the suture issue. I thought it was just the gas problem. Thanks for the input.

Carbonated beverages are very much debated on this site with folks feeling strongly about both sides of the argument. Regardless though, I would say that at 2 weeks post-op, it is definitely too soon. It will hurt. Don't do it.

I'm 9 months post op and just recently had my first carbonated beverage... a half a beer after playing my first hockey game in 15 years. No issues with it, but have zero plans to make it a regular thing since drinking calories is not my thing. Obviously calories aren't a concern with Coke Zero, but I'd be worried about the acidity and gas that close to surgery.

I would follow your surgeons plan as to when you can have carbonated beverages. Most likely that's not on the approved list at 15 days post op. I could be wrong as every surgeons plan is different.

My surgeon's plan did allow carbonated beverages (and straws) but I wasn't allowed that until 30 days post op.

I enjoy one Cherry Coke Zero a day.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Why go against what your doctor told you this early out? Not to sound rude, but there are rules in place for reasons. No, it may not have bothered you, but you knew going into this that things would be off limits... some of them for months, some forever. The taste of cake, or a chip or two, or a piece of garlic bread may not bother you either, but if you start 'breaking the rules' only a few days out of surgery, you are setting yourself up for failure down the road.

The first year is the easy part... following the rules are to set you up for success after the honeymoon phase is over.

It's not a game to see what your new pouch can handle.

Why go against what your doctor told you this early out? Not to sound rude, but there are rules in place for reasons. No, it may not have bothered you, but you knew going into this that things would be off limits... some of them for months, some forever. The taste of cake, or a chip or two, or a piece of garlic bread may not bother you either, but if you start 'breaking the rules' only a few days out of surgery, you are setting yourself up for failure down the road.

The first year is the easy part... following the rules are to set you up for success after the honeymoon phase is over.

It's not a game to see what your new pouch can handle.

Well, you do sound rude. I truly doubt that you have been absolutely perfect. I was asking a question, which is what this forum is for. Not for people like you to place judgement. I don't have a bad relationship with food. That is not what got me here and you know nothing about me so with all due respect take your holier than now opinion elsewhere.

She really wasn't being rude. Everything she said is absolutely correct. And a lot of people did follow their post op plan set by their surgeon perfectly.

She really wasn't being rude. Everything she said is absolutely correct. And a lot of people did follow their post op plan set by their surgeon perfectly.

And I have too. It's Coke Zero for goodness sake. No calories and it was one sip. Most importantly, I was asking a simple question.

It's not about the calories. It's about the carbonation. And you're still healing. What is your surgeon's office stance on Coke Zero 15 days post op?

I have heard a lot of people that have no problems with carbonation and some that do. If you don't hurt after having a sip or two, it's probably fine. I tend to go with all things in moderation as long as there are no ill effects.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I'm of the opinion that people need to weigh the pros and cons of their dietary habits for themselves. I personally plan to eat in moderation in the long-term and not knock anything off my list unless it bothers my stomach or is not congruent with my own health values. My doc eats like a rabbit and has advised never to return to white foods, eg potatoes, chips. Good advise but I'd eventually like to eat a little serving of chips and salsa at some point. I personally don't plan to resume my Diet Coke habit at any point due to my tendency to then not drink enough Water, but that's me knowing my personal limits. Others are different. I think it is highly unlikely that two sips of carbonated beverage is going to wreck your suture line.

No one on this site would be here if we all couldn't have used some tough and candid feedback with our issues of which got us all here. AC Jordan is on point and her direct feedback is on point. We have all drank and eaten beyond the norm. This is your chance to make better decisions outside of what you'd like to put into your body with what you need to. Breaking any rules this early is a slippery slope and indicative of things to come. Stick to what you know needs to be done so you develop sustainable habits for the rest of your life.

I'm 9 weeks out and down 42 pounds. Listening to these responses and writing this Message is a great reminder for me too to not deviate as my old self would have, but to just yield to the new me.

Don't take anything personally, it's all to help. If you ended up never having that soda, it worked...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App