Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to quit smoking prior to surgery, whichis required but i want to do!!! My mom is paying for my surgery and she is giving me a week to quit. Any suggestions???

In the last 5 days i have went on medifast which is all liquid diet per my surgeon and pretty much gave up diet coke (i drank a couple 2liters a day). Alot of major changes in a short time!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Don't buy any, if you need one just think of the surgery. Do you want to live longer or die from cancer or pneumonia? You need strong lungs after surgery so you don't get pneumonia which kills very fast. And depending on which kind you could be stuck in a nursing home under isolation. Also look up why they want you to stop smoking for gastric bypass.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I smoked for thirty plus years and quit cold turkey. The first week was horrible but I made it. I got to the point that this surgery was more important to me AND I'm a worrier and I did not want to freaked out as am being wheeled into surgery about the complications from smoking. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

CHANTEX HELPED ME A LOT!!

Yes I smoked for ten years and I quit cold turkey Dec 26th. To be honest it was not hard for Me because I was so ready to quit. And that's the thing. You have to be for real ready and determined on your own to stop. I had already been weaning myself off of them over the years until I got down to one cigarette a day and couldn't seem to let that last one go. It took lots of prayer. But I just started associating cigarettes with my past life which wasn't good, so it made it easy for me to stop. Now I can be around people smoking and no lie, I have NO DESIRE to smoke. It actually makes me a little nauseous. You can do it. Your mind tricks you to make you think you need it. Once you fight your mind, you are good. It's the same with these surgeries, you also will have to fight your mind to stay on course and not give in to head hunger or cheat. Thus surgery helps in more than one way. Just know you're not alone and you can do it.

Missb1982 is so right! It's a mind game. I quit after smoking over 20 years. I found that trying to wean myself off of them really didn't work because like she said, you still have to put down that last one and make up your mind that you will never lick up another one. When I would want one, I kept telling myself, "you are not a smoker any more". Don't tell yourself you are "trying" to quit, tell yourself that you "are" quitting.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

I smoked over a pack a day for nearly 30 years, and was required to be nicotine-free 3 months prior to my surgery. I was also not permitted to gain weight during this time. I used Chantix and then the patch for about 2 months, I worked out, I ate well, and I was successful. I'm now about 18 months quit and feel great. I get tempted from time to time, but I don't ever want to have to quit smoking again, so I refuse to slip. I did it and so can you. Best of luck! It's really, really worth it, I promise!

Right! And let me tell you the BEST feeling in the world. You know how you go to the doctor and you have to fill out your health history and the nurse asked Me if I was a smoker and for the first time I was able to answer no or write no. I was so used to writing yes and then putting how many cigarettes I smoked a day and then hearing the doctor fuss at me . When I said no I didn't smoke I was Like "wow, I don't smoke anymore. Like I really don't smoke anymore!" It's a great feeling and saves you a heck of a lot of money too

I have to quit smoking prior to surgery, whichis required but i want to do!!! My mom is paying for my surgery and she is giving me a week to quit. Any suggestions???

In the last 5 days i have went on medifast which is all liquid diet per my surgeon and pretty much gave up diet coke (i drank a couple 2liters a day). Alot of major changes in a short time!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

My PCP gave me Contrave which is a diet pill 8 months ago to lose weight and one of the side effects is you lose the desire to smoke. I quit smoking the 3rd week and kept taking the pills for 2 more weeks. I haven't smoked since. The pills made it so easy to quit and I was smoking 4 packs a week

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by lorellen73

I am pleased to say that on July 7th I will be 1 year smoke free. I haven't even taken a puff. I quit cold turkey and think that is the best because you have no excuse but a lack of willpower. Before I tried with pills and inhalers and gum and invariably o didn't have that crutch handy and used it as an excuse to smoke again. Every time I wanted a cigarette this time I went for a walk around the block. Sometimes that was 15 times at work. I told them

I was quitting and may be doing this. They were supportive. I also had a few buddies at work that when a craving got really bad I made them walk with me. Days 3 and 4 were the worst for me. But if you can get through 1 week it is gravy from there. I just told myself I wanted the surgery more than I want that cigarette.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Gum is good too. I chewed lots and lots and lots of gum