Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've chosen a plastic surgeon and will be moving forward with skin surgery in December! A flor de lis Tummy Tuck and breast implants will be my 30th bday present to myself!

It's been interesting to me people's reactions, opinions and concerns surrounding skin.

I've been told that it's not that bad and skin surgery isn't worth the risks.....have been told by a guy I was starting to get involved with that the skin was incredibly unattractive and the reason I'm single (screw you dude)...I have a family friend contemplating not getting the surgery because of fear of how the skin will look and feel after.

I absolutely get it. I've been told to stop losing weight by physician, yet I still feel fat because I have a good 10+ lbs of skin hanging from my tummy she expects to remove. That's a bowling ball!

I have transitioned my mind and gym towards becoming stronger and faster.....having more endurance and becoming more flexible.

I'm trying to focus on positivity....yes the skin isn't cute.....yes it's uncomfortable and requires compression tops to hold it in place (otherwise the gym is incredibly painful.....but at the end of the day it is absolutely worth it.

I am proud of my skin....it's a daily reminder of how far I have come and how hard I have worked. Do I want it gone, absolutely! Are there days it gets me down, of course. It's as much an emotional journey as anything else. But so incredibly worth it!

I'm excited that the countdown has finally begun for this portion of my journey. :)

*Stats*

I'm 5'11 and 29 years old...

HW 340lbs

SW 259lbs ((11/10/15))

CW 180lbs

post-261372-14672819962567_thumb.jpg

I am so glad you posted this! While I am considerably older (48), I have similar stats to you (5'10" / HW 336 / CW 170). I just booked my LBL and arm lift yesterday for October 13 but all I can think of is feeling guilty for taking risks on an elective surgery not to mention putting others out to help take care of me and to take time off work. (I am hopefully about to start a new job and though I have told them I needed to be out on medical leave for a few weeks when I first interviewed, they are acting now like it is a real inconvenience.). Anyway.... it was good to see your post and realize it is perfectly OK for me (and you!) To get this surgery. The skin IS uncomfortable and I do not want to continue to live in it if I do not have to! Best of luck on your journey!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I think that's a great BD present! Some people have plastic surgery to alter what I consider already a great body - you are having it to repair your body! After being so successful - you deserve it! Congrats on your loss - and hope you kicked that guys ass!

Edited by KristenLe

Um you're single because of douchebags like him. Yea, he was most definitely not a prize! Congrats on your weight loss and here's to moving onward with the final phase!! I started at a the same weight and am looking forward to getting where you are at!!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

'significant others' will often go for the soft spot when in the midst of an argument, or breaking up...or just wanting to lash out. Just know that if something else about yourself was an issue, he would have gone for that as well. If I was your age, I'd have done plastics as well. I opted not to because the skin sag is not horrible in that it doesn't interfere with my normal activities plus I've had children and I'm nearly 58 years old. Oh..and one more thing. Men my age I have found, are just so happy to be getting 'some' that they couldn't care less about some sags and scars. Besides..they have also passed their 'sell by' date as well. :D

Good luck! Send us post plastic pics so we can see how great the results turned out.

@@treblecutie23

People have no idea how painful it can be to have skin flopping around when you are trying to work out. Tell them to pound sand.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I like to think of myself as a pretty grounded guy, not actually vain about my appearance; however more and more lately I have found myself identifying with the people that have had skin removal. I have worked really hard and I believe I have some pretty good muscle development, but I can't see a lot of it because of the excess skin. On top of that, I am getting ingrown hairs, rashes, and these strange... hickey type marks. I don't know how to describe them, but when the skin gets folded while I am sleeping I wake up with long red lines all over me torso.

I hope your procedure goes smoothly and I can't wait to see the results as I am truly curious.

@@treblecutie23 - Don't know if this helps or not, but our thighs could be twins...I've been thinking about this myself as I get closer to my second anniversary. And great point that you are carrying a bowling ball around 24/7. I have two of them. ;-) I am with @@BigViffer, it's not only vanity, it's also quality of life. No guilt about spending the money for it.

If I was younger I would definitely have skin removal surgery. Being as I am not in the first flush of youth I'm not going to have it. But best of luck to you and I'm sure you will look fab after it too.

@@treblecutie23

I am right there with you on the skin front. I never thought it would bother me as much as it actually does. It hurts and can be a nasty place for body odor.

I feel like every time I spend money on clothes, I would be one or two sizes different if I simply had my arms, tummy and breasts done.

Also, I am forced to buy tops 2 sizes bigger because of the very large bat wings that live on my arms. Then the sleeves look tight and I look like I am drowning in the rest of the shirt. Most people don't realize that that loose skin pulls on your body making life very uncomfortable.

I will be 53 on Saturday and honestly don't want to go through the rest of my life feeling like I did not finish my journey.

I meet with a surgeon that I am very excited about on July 11th and if all goes well I will at least have my arms done ASAP. Then, down the road 1/2 year or so I will have my tummy and breasts done.

I figure I have worked hard and am worth it and SO ARE YOU! Congratulations on taking the next step!

@@Djmohr

Happy Birthday!

I'm excited for your plastics! I had a consult, and decided it's just not the right time for me. Maybe later.

@@Babbs - having a tough time thinking you need it lady. I've seen your pics ;-)

@@OKCPirate

You're sweet, but the boobs and tummy are kind of a mess.

Nothing a good bra and Spanx can't fix for now ;)

@@Babbs "You're sweet, but the boobs and tummy are kind of a mess.

Nothing a good bra and Spanx can't fix for now ;)"

You ladies are just so hard on yourselves. I bet hubby never says that. ;-) I can almost guarantee he means it very much. As much crud that guys get for being shallow (and the guys on this site give other guys grief when we hear of shallow men), when we love our woman, we really do. All of her. And we don't notice the "imperfections" that you ladies seem to find on yourselves.