Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues with Co workers after my surgery

I work in hospice and palliative care. My company is awesome. However, I'm getting some push back from Co workers. Although we have alot of people with weight issues. I feel like I won the lottery. Did anyone else have issues returning to work?

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Jealousy issues?

I sure have. we are short staffed and I got a lot of the lousy jobs/shifts assigned to me and generally treated poorly due to some people (my supervisor included) not being pleased that I went out on FMLA for my surgery. after all this time it has settled down and sorted out - and I have a perfectly effective working relationship there - but I won't forget.

see, I view this surgery as being needed and perhaps even saving my life.

they viewed it as an elective choice and I should have waited 6 months or so until other positions were filled and trained.

I have one coworker who just stares me up in down when I'm in front of her. She can't seem to help but look at me. It does make me uncomfortable but she's overweight also and I think she was just more comfortable around me when I was heavier.

I haven't had many problems at work, but I work in the hospital I had my surgery at. I have had some people tell me, "if I could lose weight before hand why couldn't I just continue on my own?" That is about the worst I have experienced. Those ladies (and I use that term loosely) in you workplace should be ashamed of themselves, and maybe look into what options that have to build their self confidence.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I have one coworker who just stares me up in down when I'm in front of her. She can't seem to help but look at me. It does make me uncomfortable but she's overweight also and I think she was just more comfortable around me when I was heavier.

I had to remind everyone that extreme makeover was a yr long story they cut into 45 min show

I haven't had many problems at work, but I work in the hospital I had my surgery at. I have had some people tell me, "if I could lose weight before hand why couldn't I just continue on my own?" That is about the worst I have experienced. Those ladies (and I use that term loosely) in you workplace should be ashamed of themselves, and maybe look into what options that have to build their self confidence.

Smiles I had that comment too. Even a nurse practioner offer me supplements so I wouldn't have to have surgery..lol I'm thinking jeesh stone age....lol

Yes I'm very open about getting mine done and I have had many people complement. But somehow I think they think I'm not as heavy as I am...I had to lose 20 pounds before I have surgery and one girl was like wouldnt you be 270 or something and I was like no! Lol I'll still be in the 300's haha ... I just laugh and smile at what ppl say.. Call them out but not infront of others that way it's not trashy like :) .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes I'm very open about getting mine done and I have had many people complement. But somehow I think they think I'm not as heavy as I am...I had to lose 20 pounds before I have surgery and one girl was like wouldnt you be 270 or something and I was like no! Lol I'll still be in the 300's haha ... I just laugh and smile at what ppl say.. Call them out but not infront of others that way it's not trashy like :) .

Smiles thanks, I've been taking an ambassador role and encourage people to ask questions.. that was until I got the.. "I thought you'd be smaller" comments. And I explain I've lost 42 lbs on my journey. But more importantly my diabetes is in remission. Then smile sweetly...thinking all the while "I thought you were smarter"...

Smiles thanks, I've been taking an ambassador role and encourage people to ask questions.. that was until I got the.. "I thought you'd be smaller" comments. And I explain I've lost 42 lbs on my journey. But more importantly my diabetes is in remission. Then smile sweetly...thinking all the while "I thought you were smarter"...

That is so awesome, great way to look at it!

People are a trip. If someone treats us different due to weight loss, we should kill them with a huge flow of happiness. We shouldn't allow nothing or no one to kill our joy of getting healthy

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I sure have. we are short staffed and I got a lot of the lousy jobs/shifts assigned to me and generally treated poorly due to some people (my supervisor included) not being pleased that I went out on FMLA for my surgery. after all this time it has settled down and sorted out - and I have a perfectly effective working relationship there - but I won't forget.

see, I view this surgery as being needed and perhaps even saving my life.

they viewed it as an elective choice and I should have waited 6 months or so until other positions were filled and trained.

I agree I catching Hell right now from my job it's so bad that I haven't returned back and looking to leave! Keep the faith....????????????????

I'm so sorry for all your experiences. I told everyone at work about my surgery and they have been nothing but supportive. I am still out on FMLA and haven't been back to work yet but I'm sure they will continue to be as supportive when I get back. I also am the manager so maybe they just act nice in front of me but hey I don't care I'll take it!! Stay positive and remember what others think is not important, we have to take care of ourselves and our well being. Keep on losing and keep on smiling!!!!