Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble Sleeping anyone ? (4 weeks post op)

Hi everyone!

I have an interesting question... I will be 4 weeks Post on Tuesday (sleeve surgery was May 10th) ..

For some Odd reason I'm having trouble sleeping at night for more then 2-3 hours. I don't nap during the day at all.. I'm pretty active..and can I mention exhausted at night, but after two - three hours I wake up and can not go back to sleep.. Its so odd... Has anyone experienced this ?

Its been going on now for almost two weeks .. I no longer take pain meds..

Could it be protien related or not enough Water ?

Should I take something to help me catch some zzzz ?

Please help !!!

Thank youuu

after two - three hours I wake up and can not go back to sleep..

@@BBweightlossjourney

no i never had sleeping problems

sorry you are dealing with this issue

(i doubt this is Protein related!!)

i would talk to you GP about lack of sleep

"maybe" he'll prescribe something to help you sleep

4 weeks PO, you are still a newbie and you need your rest

getting only 3 hours of sleep is not good for anyone

good night

sweet dreams ;)

kathy

I'm thinking its hormone related... Any problem you have just blame it on hormones lol... Serious I'm in Peri menopause when I first started I was up several times a night, the exhaustion was killing me... The hormones seem to be back in check and I'm sleeping great... Could you be hungry? Maybe eat something high in Protein before bed... I can't function without my sleep.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I did, and still do have sleep issues.

Mine are due to my thyroid disease, the more weight I lose the higher my Thyroxine dose becomes, this makes me hyper-thyroid again, and I either stay up all night, on some nights, or fall asleep really late, or wake up really early.

My Thyroxine levels are being adjusted, but it takes weeks for each adjustment to work.

For now, I got sleeping tablets from my GP.

My bariatric psychologist suggested a sedating anti-depressant called Valdoxan, as it does not stimulate appetite, however my GP did not want to prescribe it for me.

I also take Melatonin, but without the sleeping pill or a tranquiliser, it does not work for me.

Early post op, hunger also kept me awake, and I was advised to have a small Protein snack at night.

Good luck, sleep is important for a good recovery.

Hope you find a good solution soon!

PS. As suggested here, a thorough hormone check could be a good idea, both for female hormone levels and the thyroid.

Just to add, I researched herbs and found dong quai was helpful for hormones... Ever since I'm taking that I'm sleeping very well most nights

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

I'm 8 days today and have been having sleep issues. I'm averaging 5 hours a night where I would normally average 8.

I know a number of people in my local support group who do.

one thing I have as a snack is a few dried cherries, about 4 days a week or so (with almonds) and that can help with melatonin. I am actually sleeping better than ever.

I hope you can get it worked out, sleep is golden.

I had HORRIBLE sleeping issues post-op for a month and a half after surgery. I was getting all of my Protein in and Water. My surgeon said that it wasn't related to the surgery but I found so many people on blogs that have had the same issue. I don't have any thyroid issues and I was never a light sleeper. I was waking up multiple times throughout the night and was an extremely light sleeper.

I recently went on sleeping medication after trying melatonin and all of the other over the counter sleep aides out there. I would try melatonin or another related sleep aid--getting sleep is so important to this process! Good luck and you are definitely not alone.

Edited by DNCE