Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puréed diet after surgery..Help!

Hiya lovely people,

Am just looking for some advice/support/info.

I have my rny bypass done on 11th May. All went great, it has almost reversed my diabetes which was completely unstable and was attacking my body.

I have lost 27 lbs since surgery which again I think is awesome.

My only issue is that I am really struggling with the puréed food. I am a really fussy eater and so can't stomach most Soups and some blended foods that basically becomes like mush or dog food.

I have found that I can stomach weetabix, blended beef in gray with a spoon of mash, small yoghurts, and blended tuna mayo..but other than that I am really stuck.

I am managing to get most of my fluids in each day and only have 2 weeks until I can start the next stage..but it feels like forever.

I have also been so emotional since my surgery, crying a lot and becoming withdrawn.

Did anyone else feel like this?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Am in the Uk if that helps any advice as we have lots of different produce here.

Thanks again x

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hey there.... it is completely normal to go through the emotions... your body is doing a big hormone dump due to the weight loss... it will get better...

As for purees.. i didn't have the bypass. . So i am not sure about what is allowed but..... have you tried having lentils and pulses? Mashed cauliflower, bean chilli, hummus, slow cooked lamb Soup (pureed).

I too hated the puree stage.. im a visual person... things that look like cat food isn't very appealing

Edited by AussieGirl81

It took me about 6 months to reach my happy state after RNY gastric bypass surgery, when almost all the problems seemed to melt away. There are a lot of transitions along the way. The three most important elements after surgery are meeting your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin daily requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. It is also important to get some exercise each day about 30 minutes of walking. Here is my observations after my surgery. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

@@addouk

I had my surgery on 13th and know exactly what you are going through. First day on purée food was horrible, I couldn't eat even 2 oz of food and was nauseous... Then I started to freak out on how I am going to do this and meet my Protein goals and Fluid goals. So I went back to liquids for a bit, it seems my body wasn't ready yet for purée. Yesterday I made blended hard boiled eggs with a bit of light mayo, little lactose free milk, some salt and dill and it was pretty taste although it took me forever to eat those 2 oz. I am easing into the blended food by doing one or two meals a day being blended he rest is liquids so I can meet my Protein goals. It seems to be helping.

As for the emotional, you are not alone, I was crying for few days straight, everything would make me cry... I started regretting the surgery, felt like I am not going to ever get better... But surprisingly the last 2 days I am a bit better, I still can't get all my liquids in so every day is a struggle and still get tired very easily but I have hope it will get better.

Congrats on the 27 lbs!

You just have to try different things and find what works for you. Oh I also made so pudding and added Protein powder to it so that can be a meal as well and I have had hummus with unflavored Protein Powder as well.

Hope you get feeling better!

Edited by UsernameTaken

Thank you all so much! It's so nice to know I'm not alone and not losing it emotionally. I jut had to endure food shopping with my partner and wanted to push everyone over who was buying food... What the heck is going on with me lol. Anyways I didn't push anyone over, I survived and came home. I'm supposed to be able to start the next phase of the diet on the 8th June so am kind of trying to focus on that. Am told it all starts to get a bit easier then. Thank you again for the support xx

I'm two days into pureed stage. Wow, big change from cream of wheat! I've had some soyrizo and egg, refried beans/cheese, some tuna/avocado/mayo/mustard, and the ricotta bake! Actually looking forward to meals again rather than dreading them like the last two weeks!

HW: 437

SW: 376

RNY on 5/16/16

Isn't ricotta bake more of a regular food than puréed food? I have seen it but didn't try it since j didn't honk it would be ok for this phase.

Same here, addouk. Had my gastric bypass on the 14.05 pureed stage as well. I made some carrot+celeriac puree and some chicken casserole but I didn't managed to eat more than a spoon. Today I was dying to eat an egg so I have poached one and I ve only had the soft yolk. I miss eating with my teeth and I have no interest in food whatsoever.

It's so hard isn't it Catalina, and it's hard for people around you to understand that you are trying but just have no interest in food. I did quite well today I think. I managed half a weetabix in lots of milk, 3 tea spoons of seafood cocktail (mushed up even more), 4 spoons of Tomato Soup, and half a petitfilou yoghurt (sorry for the spelling). We will get through this x