Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in the midst of completing my check list before I get a surgery date. I have 4 out of 8 things accomplished. I was just reading up on what to expect after the surgery and when I start eating again and what worries me is Dumping Syndrome. I have already told myself I will stay completely away from sugary and carbohydrate containing foods, yet I've read some articles that Dumping Syndrome can happen even if you stay away from these things. How often in eating small portions of healthy food, does someone suffer from Dumping Syndrome.
How do I drink 64 ounces of Water and take in 80 grams of Protein in one day without experiencing this?

The first 2-3 months are the hardest, but yet the easiest because you really do not feel hungry. It is a chore to eat and drink. Then For the next 3-4 months you will be very wary knowledgeable of what you are putting into your stomach. You can say you will not eat sugars, but so many things are made with it, it's impossible to avoid it. I will be 1 year post surgery May 28th and am still figuring out what works and what doesn't. The good thing with dumping is, it will happen almost immediately., but generally with a 1/2 hour. i find the foaming a lot worse than dumping. This is where you eat too fast, or too much and the salvia/ acids in you stomach starts working over time to settle things and before you know it your. Out his watering, you start having I g a lot of salvia you are spitting out and then vomiting foam. you feel,like death is near until you manage to start vomiting mucus and finally the food you ate. After you feel absolutely fine. The only other problem I have had is a sugar hangover as my husband calls it. Because we are so concerned at the beginning I got we really restrict our sugar intake that if I think I can cheat and have a piece of pie , sugar candy or ice cream I pay for it. Instead of the wonderful hyper sugar effect, it is the opposite a crash! Light headed nauseous, and literally unable to function for a good 30 minutes. Forcing in some Protein like a cheese stick does help reduce it. I was craving a blueberry muffin one morning before work (I teach) I ate about 1/2 of it thought I was fine and the minute I got up to greet the kids it hit me. I found coverage and had to go to the nurses office for 20 minutes.

That was a lot of great information. Very helpful.
It does sound terrible, the foaming and saliva part. I'm worried about the sugar intake. We have whey Protein Powder in our house but there's 2 grams of sugar and I haven't checked how much carbs are in it but I'm sure there is some. I'm thinking of getting Protein Shakes that contain 0 sugar and carbs. However maybe the 2 grams of sugar isn't such a bad thing, so my body doesn't freak out when I DO eat something that has sugar in it. I just don't want to mess up the staples or whatever by vomiting a lot the first week out of surgery, you know?

I am only 7 weeks out and have not dumped. But like you I FEAR it! Therefore I have kept away from anything that can cause it.

The foaming? Omg. What a horrid freaky experience. I ate a meatball too fast. I was out when it started 20 min later. The chest pain, THICK saliva pouring into your mouth and then the foaming. I felt like a rabid dog!

How long it lasted I can't recall. I went right home and into bed. Woke up a couple hours later ( snuck in a nice nap!) and was back to normal. I gave my tummy a break the next day and dos Clear liquids.

I think you are asking great questions and I understand wanting to be prepared for what could happen. I am just about 5 weeks post op, and I've had one experience with slightly overeating. I had the pain in the chest, nausea, just plain out felt like poop! I ended up face in toilet, spitting up and thought it felt like food was coming up, but it actually didn't come out, but I did feel much better afterwards. It lasted about 15-20 minutes. I learned my lesson about pushing the boundaries that night.

I had no problems right after surgery. I did not experience extreme pain but more like discomfort. I probably took pain meds for about 3-4 days and then stopped. Pain was manageable. I am now on soft foods and this evening I was actually able to participate in taco Thursday at home. I had some finely ground lean taco meat, some refried Beans with cheese, a few pieces of diced avocado and a few slices of black olives. I had just a tiny squirt of sour cream. I'd say total was 1/2 cup of food and it was absolutely wonderful!! Who needs the shells! Not this girl. I did miss the lettuce and Tomato, but that's not going to happen for a few months. I am at the point where if I didn't know it happened, I wouldn't even believe that I had surgery less than 5 weeks ago. I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

Don't get yourself too worked up over all this. Just relax. Be prepared by making sure to have your Protein shakes, Water, and Gatorade. Everything else will work out.

I am only 7 weeks out and have not dumped. But like you I FEAR it! Therefore I have kept away from anything that can cause it.

The foaming? Omg. What a horrid freaky experience. I ate a meatball too fast. I was out when it started 20 min later. The chest pain, THICK saliva pouring into your mouth and then the foaming. I felt like a rabid dog!

How long it lasted I can't recall. I went right home and into bed. Woke up a couple hours later ( snuck in a nice nap!) and was back to normal. I gave my tummy a break the next day and dos Clear Liquids.< /p>

I had foaming with the band when the food would get stuck... It's amazing how heavy saliva would feel in my pouch when that was happening... Sometimes it would last for an hour... Worst ever... Glad I am getting it removed tomorrow:)

All the talk about foaming is creeping me out. I haven't had my procedure done yet, the info is really important to know for later. Thank you because I do not want to start foaming anywhere ik

This is the first I am hearing about foaming and I'm almost 5 weeks out. Basically don't overeat and definitely listen to how your body is responding to a newly re-introduced food. Follow the guidelines that have been set up by your team and you will be fine.

Fear is good. Paralyzing fear is bad. If fear keeps you on your toes so you pay attention and are careful about what and how you eat, it will only help you. Don't let the fear keep you from doing the surgery. I've had a couple of episodes described above. Once for eating too fast. Once for eating the wrong thing. Once for eating roast beef. That was months ago when I was learning what my pouch would handle. It happens, you live with it and you try not to do it again. That's good fear! It keeps you honest.

You can do it.

pam

Thanks guys, for your responses and advice! I guess I'll just take it as it comes and try to stay away from a lot of sugar and carbs! That's pretty much all I can do!