Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year Post Op Failure

Well, what can I say. I had surgery a year ago on March 17th. I lost around 75 pounds and was very strict until the holiday season began in November. To make a long story short, I have gained 20 lbs. since then, and stopped exercising. I feel completely out of control and feel as if my mind is blocking me from getting back on track. Has anyone else had this experience? I really need some advice from those who have had the same or similar problem. Please help.

First, you are NOT a failure. Yes, you may have things you want to do differently, but a Detour along your journey doesn't mean you can't get back on track.

Honestly, I would get some counseling to explore why you are self-sabotaging. There may be something about being successful that is scary for you.

I don't quite have the same problem,but at a year and a half out it is a lot harder to stay on track. If you don't do it, track your food intake every day. I use my fitness pal and definitely talk to your nutritionist and if your practice has support groups or get back on track support it wouldn't hurt to go to a meeting. Bye the way you are not a failure, you just got off track.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are far from a failure. You are still down 55 pounds. You have come here for help, so you know you need to turn things around. Definitely seek counseling or support. You know the physical things you need to do to get back on track. It seems that the challenge is more of a mental one here.

Go back to basics. Do a mini preop/liquid/puree/soft food over the next week or two. This will not only help you clean all the crap out of your system, it will stop your cravings, maybe tighten up your restriction a bit, and give you a mental reset back to when this journey began. Find pictures of yourself preop. Do you want to go there again? What motivated you to have surgery in the first place? Find that old motivation

And the best way to accomplish these things and get your head back in the game is to get help. You had a surgeon "fix" your stomach, now you need a mental health professional to help you "fix" your head. The latter is a much harder task than the former, and most people can't do it on their own.

I can definately relate. I am 17 months out and have never gotten to goal. My loss came to a screeching halt around November. I refuse to think of myself as a failure, I am determined to get to goal, regardless how long it takes.

I recently met w/my bariatric team. They recommended:

1) get over 20 g of Fiber a day (I was only getting about five)

2) make sure 2 days a week I include strength training, ,even if it's only 10-15 minutes, as this will speed up my metabolism.

3) work out 5/6 days a week

4) log my food. Side note, I recently bought a Fitbit and love it. Both work together and help me remain accountable.

5) and of course the old bariatric saying, "Protein first".

Remaining hopeful & wishing you success.

I fell off the wagon and hit the ground... hard. I was losing and losing and all of a sudden I was only eating sweets and sitting around. I think mine was partially due to depression but whatever the reason it was bad. I was lucky and didnt gain anything back but I did start feeling worse and worse and worse. I just literally sat down one day and wrote down all of my reasons for losing and being healthy. My first priority was my daughter, and all the things I needed to be around for and be able to do for her. I then took it hour by hour. Eat healthy, drink Water, make Protein shakes... just try harder! I still slip up more than I'd like, more than I should... but then I try to get back on track the next hour, the next meal, the next day. Whenever I can. I stopped beating myself up for my slips and instead trying to learn from them. Why did I eat that? Why didnt I drink the Water? Why didnt I remember my pills? Etc. then try and fix these problems... get it out of the house, set an alarm, whatever I needed to fix it. I hope it helps a little and know that there are a ton of us that have been there, and just think there are even more of us that wont admit it... maybe even not to ourselves. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat. I didn't gain 20 lbs but did gain and feel terrible about it. I have decided to start from the beginning again. It's frustrating and depressing to see the weight gain but I know I can do this! I just have to get back in the right mind set.

I am def going to try this. Thanks!

Stuck! I had my surgery on Dec 17. I have lost 40 lbs and feel great, but I have got 30 more lbs to lose and I am stuck. I haven't lost any weight in 4 weeks. Any suggestions?

Stuck! I had my surgery on Dec 17. I have lost 40 lbs and feel great, but I have got 30 more lbs to lose and I am stuck. I haven't lost any weight in 4 weeks. Any suggestions?

Have you talked to your NUT?

You just may need to go back to basics.

Are you:

following your program?

Tracking your food?

Getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day?

Meeting your Protein target every day?

Taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Avoiding starches, added sugars, and fried foods?

Exercising?

Getting enough restful sleep?

Eating mindfully, taking small it's and chewing thoroughly?

Without more information it is hard to offer suggestions.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Go back to basics. Do a mini preop/liquid/puree/soft food over the next week or two. This will not only help you clean all the crap out of your system, it will stop your cravings, maybe tighten up your restriction a bit, and give you a mental reset back to when this journey began. Find pictures of yourself preop. Do you want to go there again? What motivated you to have surgery in the first place? Find that old motivation

And the best way to accomplish these things and get your head back in the game is to get help. You had a surgeon "fix" your stomach, now you need a mental health professional to help you "fix" your head. The latter is a much harder task than the former, and most people can't do it on their own.

You are on it! I had my 1 year anniversary as well and hit a wall. Going back to basics and studying old photos has refocused my mind. Still struggling but working through it.

As for the OP, you are not alone! Never feel that you are. I suggest and am also working on finding a support group near me. WE have come too far for self-sabotage. Remember why you started this journey and where you started. Trust me, I know where you are coming from. We've got this! And we will NOT let the weight win. It will ALWAYS lose

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I think most of us have had slip ups here and there. I make sure I get a small treat every now and again... I buy dark chocolate covered raisins... to make sure I don't feel left out. Kids birthdays I take a small spoonful of cake... just enough to get a taste. and what I can tell you is... it stops the cravings. It matters and makes a difference. You are making life style changes but make ones you can live with... a small spoon of cake is not going to ruin all you have worked for. a single bite of potato salad is not going to mess it all up. Make sure you still have small things to keep you going... doing this is not easy... its down right hard but worth every effort made. You can do this. You can be healthy and happy. I love feeling better. I admit I am tired a lot more and with less energy and asked the doc why... he said well your body is always burning fat so it is working even when you are sleeping.... so its okay to be tired.... take a nap if you can I do.... sometimes I wish I had more energy... but I figure with me being so new to it... that time will come when I am no longer tired all the time... I eat little to no carbs meat Beans cheese and vitamins.... always protein... It is hard but it is WORTH IT! You CAN do this believe in you.... and weigh ALL food. nothing goes in me that is not weighed aside from liquids like Water and gator aide.

and weigh ALL food. nothing goes in me that is not weighed aside from liquids like Water and gator aide.

I weigh my Gatorade too. Not that I drink it often, since I don't want to drink my calories. But when I do long runs for my marathon training, I have to drink G2 to replenish my electrolytes and I do weigh it so I can accurately track it.