Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill at 2 weeks??????

Hello All!!

Well, I was banded on July 24, 2007 and I return to my Dr. tomorrow for my post-op (he was out of town last week) has anyone ever heard of getting a fill at 2 weeks? I just thought I would ask. I know, I know it's the healing time, but I am HUNGRY. I understand I can start soft/mushy foods on tuesday and that will probably help, but I don't want to gain the weight I have already lost in between tuesday and the fill. Which I think is normally 6 weeks right? Well, I just was wondering if anyone had heard of a fill that soon or if I shouldn't even worry about it (safety wise). Thanks for the input. I love everyone on here!!!!

Kelli:help:

Hi Kelli, not sure how much I can help because I had my surgery a day before yours.. For what it's worth my doc is giving me a fill after three weeks. I asked if that was an issue for healing and he said no. Not sure about two weeks but I was pleasntly surprised that he was getting me started with restriction three weeks out. Good luck!

Kelli, hi there! I, too had my Lapband Surgery on July 24. I started the high-protein food supplements supplied by my doctor on 7/13. I have lost 18 pounds! Saw my surgeon on 8/03 says I'm doing fine and that he will do my first fill in four weeks. I'm surprised that you're getting you're fill so soon after surgery. I went to Michigan Medical, PC Weight Loss Center (Center of Excellence) in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Surgeon is Dr. Randall Baker. I believe studies have found that the Lapband is more successful waiting for six weeks to have first fill. You might want to wait till then. Oh, my surgeon said that weeks 2-6 will be the most difficult losing wait with the Lapband because the stomach swelling has gone down from surgery and that their is no restriction until the first fill where I will then have the 'full' feeling to again start losing more weight. Yes, I feel hungry, too - which is normal for right now. You might want to call MMPC (Michigan Medical) in Grand Rapids to inquire about when and why they wait 6 weeks to do the first fill. Better to be safe and wise. Take care and wish you the best.

Thank you all for responding. I guess it's wishful thinking. However, I do want the safest time to get a fill. Everything so far as been wonderful and easy. Good luck to all of you with your weightloss journey and know we are just beginning. Thanks, Kelli

Think of it this way...you have stitches in your stomach that are designed to help hold the band in place (the stomach is brought up over the band and stitched in place). Eventually, as your stomach heals, scar tissue is formed to "cement" the band in place. Do you think that that has happened at 2 or 3 weeks? Most likely, it hasn't.

My surgeon wants his patients to wait as long as possible for a fill...8 wks at least. He has a very low slip rate and I think that's part of the reason. I know everyone is eager to start losing the weight, but if it's the difference between keeping your band for the rest of your life, or having complications, waiting another month isn't that big of a deal.

Cindy

Two weeks is just way too early, for the reasons outlined above me. I'm amazed someone is filling at three weeks. Though I don't know the dates, could be more like three and a half weeks. I can almost see that. Every surgeon is different. You never know.

Please remember that the first fill will likely not gove you restriction for any long period of time. It usually takes a minimum of two, bot more often three or four fills to get good restriction. It is frustrating, but that's the way it works. Time does fly, though. I never would have thought I'd be six weeks out from the band already. It seems like yesterday I went to the informational seminar (that was in February).

I had my surgery on July 19th and they are making me wait until September 12th for a fill. I'm alittle nervous because I am hungry already and afraid I will gain weight once I go off liquids. In fact, I gainned 3 pounds back while on liquids. I'm not sure why, because I am walking every night. I thought it would come off faster.

I had my surgery on July 19th and they are making me wait until September 12th for a fill. I'm alittle nervous because I am hungry already and afraid I will gain weight once I go off liquids. In fact, I gainned 3 pounds back while on liquids. I'm not sure why, because I am walking every night. I thought it would come off faster.

Not having a band yet myself. I dunno if this would still apply.

But one doctor I used to see always told me never to worry much about 5-10lbs gains/losses cause they can be very deceptive. You can, depending on what your weight and BMI are gain/lose up to 10 lbs in a day or two of Water weight in the body. Also differences in scales used to weigh. Can vary drasticly. He always told me to pick one scale and go by only what that scale says. And not use the scale more then once a week.

He also told me after my apendix was removed to expect the body to react by some slight gain as I was healing. Just to not let it get out of hand.

Long as your following your Doctors directions. I wouldn't worry to much about a slight gain.

Well, I went to the Dr. yesterday and I go back Sept. 5 for a fill. So 6 wks total. That won't killme. He said the earliest he would do it is 5 wks but I'm just going to play it safe and go by protocol. Thanks everyone for responding and talking about it with me. My dr. said he didn't even care right now how much weight I've lost because "we are in a healing phase, the weight will come off".

Kelli