Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well that's an interesting development.

Had a liver biopsy with my sleeve. At the check up yesterday they said I have excess Iron in my liver slice. So I may have hemochromatosis. Got to get tested more by my pcp. If so I get to get drained by a pint or so every couple of months for life. Depends on severity etc.

Symptoms of it include diabetes, cirrhosis, heart failure, fatigue, joint pain, liver failure.

Heh one weird assed heart attack at 19 and now a possible genetic disease 1 out of 200,000 people have. I'm starting to think I should stay indoors during storms.

Or, maybe you are a lucky duck this is discovered and can be treated, I surely didn't get a liver biopsy with my sleeve!

Some people really are snowflakes. :)

And maybe you don't have that hemawhatsis either. Further tests may reveal it's nada.

But even if you do have it, aren't you glad you found out now?

Your pal,

Pollyanna

:)

Oh yeah. Not complaining.

Treatment literally is having a pint of blood or so taken out every couple of months. I don't mind that. My fear of needles had to be left behind when i got my first tattoo.

If your diagnosis comes through as positive, and you don't have any other health issues, please look into becoming a regular blood donor. My mom has hemochromatosis and the Red Cross LOVES her. Her blood type is B neg and she donates every 6 weeks on the dot.. She actually has a letter from her doctor which allows her to donate more frequently than the normal 8 weeks. If she goes longer than her 6 weeks she feels like crap. She holds some crazy record for the most blood ever donated at the local regional Red Cross district.

Before this thread I never heard of hemachromatosis. ;)

So much stuff I don't know!

This is the first post I have seen mentioning this disease. My ferritin level is high and they of course suspected hemochromatosis. I was tested and they say I am a carrier, but I do not have the disease. They, the GI, doc and the bariatric surgeon, are recommending I see a hematologist. Have not gotten that far yet, as I had the sleeve 8/3/15, then total knee replacement 12/22/15, then recently acquired a thumb infection, etc. So tired of docs, but I will go and get it checked out in the very near future. Good luck, I hope all turns out well.

I hadn't heard of it either. Though when in hospital with the heart attack they did take a pint out with the reason, your blood is too thick. That with an IV of blood thinners going.

Rather unpleasant as they took it one vial at a time because i was on thinners.

All will be well :) I'm no stranger to hurdles. I'll take and clear this one the best I can

I have hemochromatosis and at this point it is well under control. I only have to get drained once every 12-16 months now. its not really a big deal for me now. when I was first diagnosed I went for blood draws every two week s for almost three months to get the Iron levels back to normal.

I think with the modified diet of gastric bypass I should never have to get a blood draw again.

I have haemmochromotosis. I have not needed venesections and likely will not need to until menopause (as you are bloodletting each month naturally).

You can control it somewhat through diet. I started drinking black tea (decreases Iron absorption) and reduced my intake of Vitamin C. This got me from just above normal to normal levels.

Post surgery, you are eating so little that it is unlikely your levels would increase. Just let your nutritionist know as they may want you to take an Iron free Multivitamin.