Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I understand that this site probably makes its money mostly through adverts but I've just had two in a row that seem rather inappropriate - one was for McDonalds and the other was for a bakery, complete with gorgeous colour photos of pastries. Is there a way to get rid of these unhelpful, and potentially triggering, adverts?

I haven't seen any McDonalds or Pastry Shop advertisements on this website. So I cannot see what you are seeing.

I do know that the internet has become rather intrusive in the last few years. If I perform a search using google on a topic, somehow that search then triggers a number of advertisements that become inserted into various websites. Then I also get a number of emails on the topic. So it may be the search engines that are triggering this type of advertisement. And as Samara1974 mentioned, you may be able to block this type of advertisement using the proper search engine and selecting blocks for pop-up ads.

second the recommendation for adblock plus. I never see any advertisements, big data companies can't track me as easily, and my computer is not susceptible to malvertising.

This site is not inserting those ads on your computer.

Your own Web site visit history or the terms you're typing on your computer (probably using Google) is what's sending those ads to your computer.

The Internet knows all.

;)

I almost exclusively use the app on my phone so I'm not sure how to use ad block. I'm 99% sure that the ads I'm seeing aren't geared towards my search history since most of them are actually for online video games which I've never looked for in my life. I'm glad other people aren't seeing them though.

Edited by Indieflickers

I have never seen any ads on this site outside of Bariatric Pal products. I also use Firefox and have never had any pop-up issues. If you have an iPhone and you have it linked to a Mac, or any other iPads or iPhones on your account that your family uses, sometimes it can pull in activity from websearches that are done on those devices. I know this because my iPad that I generally just use to look at email on had some Facebook ads for a website I only ever visit on my Mac. My Macbook also has some cookie-generated things for ebay that I had looked at on my Mac, but never looked at on the laptop. If you're on a family network, maybe that could be the issue.

So I understand that this site probably makes its money mostly through adverts but I've just had two in a row that seem rather inappropriate - one was for McDonalds and the other was for a bakery, complete with gorgeous colour photos of pastries. Is there a way to get rid of these unhelpful, and potentially triggering, adverts?

You shouldn't be seeing ads from outside advertisers, especially the likes of McDonalds!! Help me out so we can figure out why and where this is occurring, please.

Are you using the app or website?

Are you on a desktop computer or using a mobile device?

Where are these banners appearing on our page?

@@Alex Brecher I only ever see them on the app. It's only happened twice and just in the past day. Whenever I get on the app and go to the sidebar to navigate the site an ad pops up. Usually it's for the Google app or some online gaming site. That's where the ads popped up.

When I open the app I get a full screen advert for any number of things. I have seen McDonalds, Google .....I must watch it for something like 5 seconds before I am able to access the app content.

You shouldn't be seeing ads from outside advertisers, especially the likes of McDonalds!! Help me out so we can figure out why and where this is occurring, please.

Are you using the app or website?

Are you on a desktop computer or using a mobile device?

Where are these banners appearing on our page?

I am getting the same thing she is talking about. When I use the app NOT a direct browser I get ads for games in the app stores or food places too.

@@Nurse_Lenora yes! That's what I get. Often I can just click the X in the corner but sometimes I have to wait 5 seconds before the advert gives me the option to close it.

@@Nurse_Lenora yes! That's what I get. Often I can just click the X in the corner but sometimes I have to wait 5 seconds before the advert gives me the option to close it.

Those are called interstitial ads and they're in our app. There was a glitch yesterday and this morning where outside advertisers were being shown but from now on you should only be seeing ads that are appropriate to our community.

When I open the app I get a full screen advert for any number of things. I have seen McDonalds, Google .....I must watch it for something like 5 seconds before I am able to access the app content.

Ditto all this.

House of Cards season 4 will drop on Netflix on March 4, 2016. I want to wait for a free weekend to watch this (all in one big non-appoligitic weekend). Best binge watch if you have never seen it.