Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thankfully your kids are old enough to understand that they need to take care of you for a while. Lap babies are more complicated to manage.

Most of us come home at two days. My experience was pain for a couple of days and nausea for a couple of weeks. Follow your program instructions. Many people have gone before you and your bariatric staff knows what works and what doesn't.

Don't expect to have any noticeable energy until you at least get on purees. For me it was soft foods. About purees......baby food and applesauce get boring very quickly. What I did was take whatever meat and veggies my main man had for a meal and put it in the blender with some broth or Water.

That way I at least got familiar flavors and had control over the seasonings. On purees, I made it real sloppy so that it would roll off the spoon. On soft foods, I made it the consistency of mashed potatoes.

Let the kids wait on you for a few days, and show the older ones now how to do laundry. Let them do the carrying of things for a while. Maybe you could fix some meals ahead so that all the older ones have to do is pop it in the microwave.

Right up my alley with the question! I too was wondering this. I have a paralyzed dog that needs my care. I will have to "express" him to go potty which means I have to lay him on his side and press on his bladder. Will I be able to do this as soon as I get home?!?!

Right up my alley with the question! I too was wondering this. I have a paralyzed dog that needs my care. I will have to "express" him to go potty which means I have to lay him on his side and press on his bladder. Will I be able to do this as soon as I get home?!?!

Most doctors send you home with a weight lifting restriction of 10 pounds, and I have heard of 5. So I think it will depend upon how complicated the process and how cooperative your furbaby, as well as how your recovery progresses. Some people feel just fine when they get home, others need a little more time. I had a difficult recovery, but I think I could have managed periodic puppy pottying!

I was just sore post op. I could walk and drink and basically care for myself.

As for caring for you pet, as long as you can position him so you do not have to pick him up, you should be fine. I

Ditto

I will have to roll him over on the floor and kneel over him on my knees. I'm a slow healer from other surgeries I have had so I wasn't sure. I'm really worried about him and being able to care for him too. Doing that is a true skill and it's not something just anyone can come in and do. I sure hope I can get down on the ground and do this????

I would make sure you do it near a piece of furniture that you can use to assist you in getting back up. A footstool, chair, etc.

Thank you everyone! I think with use of furniture like DaisyAmy suggested will do the trick! Can't let my little man down????????????

Make sure you have your post-op food prepared as much as possible.

If you're a side sleeper get extra pillows or a body pillow to help alleviate the pressure.

Edited by cindyw41

I am so glad I found this page! I am waiting for my surgery to be scheduled. I received my approval letter from insurance on Jan 11th. I too am a single mom of a 10 yr old. I'm trying to figure out meals for her after my surgery, as well as trying to figure out what I will and won't be able to do once I'm home. Being able to read what has and hasn't worked for some people is very enlightening. I look forward to sharing more and reading about all the ups and downs everyone experiences while being able to help and encourage others.

Jen

Edited by JenLyn81

@@JenLyn81 I would get some meal planning trays and make a few of her favorite meals that she can just pop in the microwave (for about a week post op) Cereal, fruit and just easy things for her to fix.

I wasn't able to bend over (it's still

Hard for the first week) and I have been so tired that I just want to sit and watch tv.

Ps. Taking a shower is the pits at first, she may have to help you wash your hair. It hurt and was so tiring to have my hands above my head for the first few days. It's better now at a week out.

Hope this helps ;)

Edited by cindyw41