Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a bad night

I'm day 2 post op and at home. Got home late. Just took my pain meds as nausea meds. I can't get comfortable at all. Last 2 days I've slept maybe a total of 3 hours. Now I'm sitting in the dark with all kinds of pain. Pain breathing (at the diaphragm, nothing I'm worried about) pain of my ABD and pain in my back most of all. I have a bad back but this is pain all over, especially my lower back. I'm not use to it. Ugh! Just needed to see if anyone else had this issue as well.

I'm miserable tonight.

I had one really lousy week post-op and then as soon as I got on soft foods at three weeks, I began to hurt less and feel more energized. Keep in mind that your stomach has been brutalized and just needs tender loving care while it heals.

The inconvenience we go through is worth the result in the end. Do you have anyone in the house who can give you a gentle back rub? If nothing else, get the heating pad out. It all gets better with time.

I am 2 weeks post and it does get better. Make sure you take your pain meds are directed so you arent trying to catch up with the pain. I cant wait for soft foods on Wed. First thing? Scrambled eggs!!

I agree with Cherri. Stay ahead of your pain meds. Take as often as prescribed whether you feel you need them or not so pain won't sneak up on you. What pain med do you have? Hopefully you have something prescription.

I'm staying on top of my meds now. I have oxycodone. It's almost not my stomach as much as my back. I have chronic back pain and haven't taken my normal meds since Weds. I took all my pain meds and was knocked out for maybe an hour. Just so nervous about all of this. Managing these things in the next 3 weeks. I got children's Tylenol but I think it's too sweet and made me sick last night. So I am actually crushing my Tylenol. Gross but the sweet sickly taste isn't making me sick. I got inspired because I am tired of my chronic pain. I use to be an athlete and this weight gain started when I tore my ACL and broke my leg playing co-Ed football. I loved volleyball and softball. I want to inspire my kids to be physically the best they can. Especially my daughter. I want to be around a long time for them and enjoy hiking and sports more. Thanks everyone for your support. I'll probably be knocked out here in about 5 mins. ????

Honestly my back pain was the worst for me too. And I don't have a bad back! I think the combo of sitting in less than ideal positions in the hospital bed for extended periods of time plus using back muscles to compensate for the stomach muscles that were out of commission did me in.

A heating pad helped. And time.

Hang in there!!!

Take oxy as often as bottle allows you. I was supposed to crush pills and did a few days then said screw it. It was as close to puking as I came. Get that oxy down girl! Good stuff.

You poor thing. I have neck issues (fusion surgery in 2011) and my neck was killing me for a few days after surgery. I think it's from being in weird positions during surgery and the cruddy hospital bed. Have you tried s heating pad?? Best wishes to you!

DaisyAmy. Next on my list of things is seeing what is wrong with my neck. I was rough on my body playing sports when I was younger. I hear it crackling all the time. Maybe just arthritis but other than what I do, I need to see if there is anything else available to make me pain free as possible.

I finally called my dr about the mid back pain. I thought I had a kidney infection. Dr said is normal pain - its your left over tummy cramping when we eat to fast, dont chew enough or just abuse it. I do ok almost all day. I ate 1 shrimp tonight and wish I had oxy!

@@Superstoked - my advice is invest in a heating pad. I used a heating pad on my stomach and back. The surgery itself wasn't painful at all for me. It was the gas pain that KILLED me. The heat helped a lot!

Edited by LosinLiz82316

A lot of the back pain can be from lying on the operating table.I had a revision and was on the table 3 hours.I had a lot of back pain. The gas pains that take a while to go away and the back pain was made better by walking around to relief the stiffness.

I just got sleeved 6/29. Walk around a lot! Like every hour for at least 5 min. It will help release the gas that's all in there.