Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruitcake (Yes You Read Right!)

So let me tell you about my holiday experiences. I will admit that over the holidays I ate some bad stuff. I had a few Cookies, a couple of pieces of candy, a small glass of eggnog and booze. I'm not concerned over that stuff. What concerns me is something that I would have never dreamed possible. You see, I was given a fruitcake as a gag gift. I always hated fruitcake. The smell, let alone the taste, was usually enough to make me gag. This was not a full blown cake but the rectangular slices sold in Walmart. Anyway, I found myself opening up the package and taking a bite. To my shock I loved it! I kept eating until I couldn't eat anymore. I repeated this for 3 days until I finished the entire thing. What the hell is wrong with me? The only thing I can think of is that it's because of all the nuts.

Has anyone else noticed any wild food taste/preference changes post sleeve? I know that before the sleeve I loved cream of mushroom Soup but now it just tastes like dirt to me.

That is scary. Maybe you should see a psychologist? I am farily certain that no sane person eats fruit cake.

I've heard rumors that some people actually like fruit cake.

Now, I had to avoid some really delicious smelling spice cake over the holidays. I could understand eating one of those!

Yes.. My taste buds have changed. Only 11 days post op and I actually like cream of Tomato Soup. I would never eat it before even when I fed it to the kids. My oldest is 22 and she thinks it hilarious that I like it now.

Taste buds have definitely changed. In weird ways. Lol. Good luck with that one though!

I suddenly LOVE cottage cheese and I thought it was revolting before. fruit cake, though... wow.

This is a topic that is doubly funny to me. First point, I am one of those people that actually like fruitcake. But not the ones that people give out in the circular tins. A friends mother used to make them from scratch and thats when I learned what they were supposed to be. The store bought ones I swear have starburst and juju-B's scraped off a movie theater floor baked in them! But what is supposed to be in there are fruits that have been preserved with brandy! Hello! Much different than what we think of normally as fruitcake.

And secondly, to your point about tastes changing... oh man have they ever. Pasta no longer taste good to me, nor does the texture feel pleasant. Which is a good thing! I tried it once and now I do not crave it. But what I found the most incredible is green Beans.

I have hated green Beans for over 25 years. I mean hated. You couldn't sneak a sliver into something without me tasting it. Time and time again my in-laws, parents, wife, and friends would see if they could sneak it past me, but as soon as it was in my mouth, I'd either gag or have to find a napkin to spit a mouthful of food out. Growing up, we were what my mom called "on a budget". As an adult now, I know that actually meant poor. We had a garden that had more square feet than my current house. The green bean section was easily half of that.

So I'd get up and pick green beans...

Then snap the green beans...

Then mom would cook the green beans...

Then we would eat the green beans on Monday...

and Tuesday...

And Wednesday..

And then we would pick more green beans!

My hands would smell like green beans. They would be stained green. There would be little green bean giblets in my hair from snapping them... god I cannot express how much I hate green beans!

But just a month ago I ordered a coconut curry chicken Soup from a Thai place. Guess what was in it? A string bean, the skinny little brother to the green bean. Out of curiosity I tried a bite.

And I didn't gag.

So I ate the thing. It wasn't "good", but it wasn't repugnant. So I ate the rest for the nutritional benefit. Now I am not saying I am going to go on a green bean rampage, but I can now stomach them. (see what I did there?!)

@@BigViffer One time my girlfriend's mom tried to force me to eat peas and I threw up right there at the table. So I totally get where you are coming from with your aversion to green Beans. I haven't tried any peas since my surgery.... maybe I should give them a shot?

The barfing story reminded of when I was in the 3rd grade and ate a half a bag of puffy Cheetos and got really sick afterwards. Still can't eat those things! I hate peas too and always have, big sister tried to force them on me. I say respect people's palates, even kids.

Well, my OD'ing on a food and never wanting to be in the same room with it again was...fruitcake. I was five. I thought it was amazing. And I was five. And - don't even get me in the same room with candied fruit. I have no interest in testing changes in taste with fruitcake postop, thankyouverymuch.

I DO think it would be really interesting to see a study done about postop changes in taste/texture preferences, though. I'd especially like to see if different surgeries led do different taste/texture changes; or whether typical preop preferences influenced postop preferences in any way.

@@BigViffer

That is so funny, because since surgery, I actually like green Beans now! I HATED them before.

Still hate peas, though.

The barfing story reminded of when I was in the 3rd grade and ate a half a bag of puffy Cheetos and got really sick afterwards. Still can't eat those things! I hate peas too and always have, big sister tried to force them on me. I say respect people's palates, even kids.

I am that way with pancakes and Syrup. I threw up after eating them when I was 5, and to this day I can't stand them.