Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am targeting a VSG in mid February. I'm a remote employee and work mostly from home. Is it unreasonable to think I can get away with just taking a week off from work?

I work as desktop support and I took one week off. I travel a half hour to and from work. Looking back though even though I sit at a desk all day I would have taken two weeks off only for the fact that I was so tired from recovery.

I slept mostly for the two weeks I took off, but if I was working remotely, I might have been able to handle just one week, and then worked a few hours, nap an hour, work a few more, nap...

But I was really, really exhausted. Like the worst tired you've ever been and it drug on for over a month as I slowly was able to increase my calories.

It may be okay, but you're the only one that really knows your workload and how much contact you have to have and whether you can take frequent rest breaks/naps during working hours and maybe just work later to make up for the breaks.

1 week...surgery Dec 28... Back in office January 4

I telecommute full time - I was operated on Friday and worked 1/2 days the following week. I couldn't have done more than that. It gave me time to keep in contact and keep my inbox from exploding, but allowed me time to rest, walk and sip Water, which is a huge chore when you're newly sleeved.

Best of luck to you!

@@AlishaMay79 I think a week off in your situation is entirely workable.

@@AlishaMay79 - I could've gone back the Monday following my surgery on Wednesday. I have a pretty physical job - but not everyone feels the same way. If you can work 1/2 days that may be your best bet, just to be safe. if you company is OK with testing out the 1/2 day thing maybe you could do that for a few days and then get a weekend and then go back to a FT schedule.

it doesn't hurt to ask.

you will be tired and remember to stay on track with Protein & Water, Water, water......

It really depends on when you get your energy back. My surgery was on Tuesday and I returned to work (at the office) the following Monday. I could have gone back the previous Friday but just didn't feel like I had enough energy. Even at that my first day or two back were a little challenging while I regained energy.

You will have been through a procedure that takes a toll on your core. Couple that with the effects of the pre-op and post-op diet which is likely several days to a week of Clear liquids and your body can take some time to regain enough strength to get through a day.

I had my procedure on Friday and was back at work the following Tuesday. I have a job where I do a lot of walking around and that was particularly helping since I needed to be walking anyway. One day at work and there was no remnants of gas pain left whatsoever.

It really is up to you. As you do work at home, 1 week may be plenty. However, just be sure you are up and walking as much as you can.

Your primary struggle in the first couple of weeks post-op will be fatigue. You will be very very tired. I went back to work 15 days post-op and I was still very tired and usually went to bed as soon as I got home from work that first week or two back. If you need to go back at one week post-op and work from home, I would suggest maybe doing partial days or breaking your day up in such a way that you can get a nap in?

I telecommute full time as well. I honestly took 3 days off, surgery on Tuesday I was back at work on Friday.

Thankfully I didn't have any pain or issues though and I work in healthcare so everyone was sure to check on me a lot.

I had RNY surgery and was back at work after 1 week. I work in an office and am pretty remote. The first week I was back, I only worked half days because my energy level was low. Everyone is different, so I would see how you feel.

Good luck

@AlishaMay79......No No No ( only my opinion)...I only took a week off and it wasn't enough for me mentally or physically.

I like Isopure and kept my Protein levels high which kept my energy level high. My advise is keep your supervisor ready for the worse and surprise him/her with the best case.

Edited by OKCPirate

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate your experience! I like the idea of taking a week off and plan on half days the second week. It seems like the Protein intake is a crucial factor in the recovery process. What are/were your favorite clear Liquid Protein options?