Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happened at preop appt?

I have my pre op app. Nov 4 for surgery on Nov 9th. What should i expect ? What did the surgeon talk about ? Ect? Please and thanks.

I don't meet with my surgeon again before surgery - but had my pre-op testing (ekg, chest xray, labs, etc) on Tuesday. November 9th can't come quick enough!!

Your pre-op appt is just to go over what happens the day of surgery and discuss your test results. Take a list of questions. Be sure you understand everything about your procedure. If you are having the sleeve, do you know you will no longer be able to take ibuprofin or aspirin? Have they told you about chewing your food 30 times and not drinking with your meal? These are little things but very important. If you are not having the sleeve there are different rules. Be sure you understand them. Also attend in person support groups after surgery. Go before surgery too if you can. You will learn so much from others. This will change your life. I wish you well.

Edited by cindi gant

I didn't have one pre-op appointment. I had 3 visits at my program. They do the team approach.

Visit 1 - Nurse weighs, checks vitals, review written H/P (history & physical - the paperwork I filled out, etc...). I then meet with nutritionist. She reviewed food log, makes recommendations for increasing Protein. I receive my handbook that covers the process start to finish, sample foods for pre and post-op life, listing of recommended Vitamins and supplements, listing of recommended Protein powders, drinks and shakes. A section on contact list for the program and pre-op testing required so I can check them off as complete them and a section for note taking. I am to bring this handbook to each appointment. I then meet with the Nurse Practitioner. She also reviews the H & P and give prescriptions for the needed testing. Psych stops by and I am given 6 page survey to complete and bring back at next appt. I meet with the surgeon and his resident. He reviews the surgery, what it entails. Pros and cons, and what precautions they will take.

Visit 2 - I see all the people above except the surgeon. I see the resident instead. They update what test have completed and what is scheduled. I spend the most time with the nutritionist who reviews my food log. Told to practice eating slow and separating eating from drinking. Hand in psych paperwork, spend and hour with psych. (Psych eval was covered by insurance, I paid $200 for nutrition class) I am informed that insurance may or may not pay (it varies depending on insurance) for psych eval and nutrition class & how much each will cost.

Visit 3 - I see all the people I saw on appt 2. Again spend time reviewing food log w/ NUT. After appointment I have a 2 hour nutrition class with other WLS pts. I am given a free Water bottle. I then go to pre-admission testing and get bloodwork done. I am given a duffle bag for my hospital stay. Between visits 2 & 3 I had received my approval letter from insurance and the surgeon's assistant has called and given me my surgery date. Informed hospital will call and give me surgery time a week before surgery.

As part of my pre-admission testing I also was required to attend at least one support group meeting. My doctor also felt that I should have an IVC filter as a precaution so as part of my pre-op testing I also had an ultrasound of my legs and meet with the doctor for that. I had my IVC filter put in the day before surgery. I was given a mini garment bag for my clothing since that was same day short procedure. I now have hospital logo weekend luggage complete with a wooden hanger! :P

Mini garment bag & duffle bag courtesy of UPenn

I only met with my surgeon once before surgery. In my program they called it a three in one, because on that same day you meet with the surgeon, an internist, and have the psych evaluation.

All three had copies of paperwork we were required to fill out beforehand. The surgeon went over types of surgery and which I wanted (I could choose and was approved for either sleeve or bypass), the pre op diet, and that I wasn't to gain any weight before my surgery (after losing close to 30 pounds already), what to expect, hospital stay, took my vitals, checked my stomach, and I think that was about it. We were also given a CD to read that went over a lot of the same stuff.

I also had a PREP appointment at the hospital the day before surgery. That's where I made my co pay, vitals and weight were taken again. They gave me the breathing spirometer to practice with, and the special sterile soap to wash with the morning of surgery. They explained hospital procedure and the program that allowed for a family member to stay with you in your room 24/7. And that's about all I can remember.

Good luck!

More labs? uhhh! What is a ekg? They didnt tell me about having xrays. I will email my surgeons office bc i fell i should have been told what to expect. I only thought this what about talking about surgery, and paying.

More labs? uhhh! What is a ekg? They didnt tell me about having xrays. I will email my surgeons office bc i fell i should have been told what to expect. I only thought this what about talking about surgery, and paying.

Prep-op testing varies program to program. I had ultrasound of legs for the ivc filter, chest X-ray, Upper GI, blood work, sleep study, respiratory stress test, psych evaluation and I think a bone density test. It was all listed in my handbook. I also had the special soap to wash with before the ivc filter and day of surgery.

From what I understand the Upper GI or EKG and chest xray are designed to find out if you have a hernia or any other issue such as an esophageal stricture that may effect swallowing or make you susceptible to extremely high levels of acid or reflux. This could lead to ulcers or and/or make healing painful and uncomfortable.

Just has my pre-op yesterday. You get surgery day instructions, when to arrive, showering directions, what pills to take if any, and then I had labs, chest film, and EKG done. That was it. Took about 1.5 hours.

Surgery day is Friday this week.

I also had pre op labs but it was way before I met the surgeon. We had labs before entering the six month classroom phase, and then again upon graduation. Ours included an EKG too.

Chest xray to rule out pneumonia. EKG to make sure your heart is functioning normally. An EKG is simple... they attach little sticky pads on a few places on your body and the pads are attached to the machine with wires. A sheet with your heart activity prints out and gets read. It literally takes a minute. Your doc's office may not require it.