Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded this week and the healing is going well. The reason why I am writing is because I just spoke with my family about the conversation that they had with my surgeon once he was done with my procedure. The things that my doctor told my family are not only odd but a little scary. He told them that he does not support the surgery and that the risks of me being sick are high. He informed them that I am way more prone for infections and such. He then told them the high likely hood of organ erosion because of the band or stretching of the band, all of this right after he was done with my surgery. Now I have done my research on this procedure and nothing made it sound as risky or harmful as what the surgeon told all of my family. He told them that I knew about all this and I still wanted to go through with it. When I met him he never told me that he was against the procedure or of the “high” probability of complications like organ erosion. I did get a bad feeling when I initially him but he was the only surgeon that my insurance would cover! So I swallowed my feelings about him and went though it.

So now, I am 5 days out of surgery and regretting my decision. I felt like I was finally taking control of my weight problem and making a commitment to change my life when I was still young. And now, all I can think is that I made a horrible mistake that can’t be changed.

The wonderful thing about the band is if it does cause problems, it can be removed. you have done nothing that can't be changed.

I was banded in Sept. 06. I have had no problems.

From my own research and the things I have read on this board, the probability of infection or erosion is very low.

I think this guy just fed your family a bunch of hooey. If he doesn't believe in the band, why does he do the surgery at all? Is he primarily a bypass Dr.?

I don't think you made a horrible mistake and would wait and make your own judgments in a few months or years

Thanks Lynne. Yes, the surgeon is primarily a bypass doctor. The only surgery that was approved by the insurance was the lapband. I agree! sounds like a bunch of bull but not what you want to hear from the man who just operated on you.

I think it was almost mean for him to freak out your family. I'm sure they have been really worried about you.

Just remember to follow the rules right now. This is a very important time. There is a theory that this healing time is when you can stop future problems. Follow the diet given to you, let the band get secure and scarred in around your stomach. I think if you do that you can avoid most comp;ications in the future.

The next time you see your doctor, ask him what he was talking about. Tell him your family seemed to have gotten some worrisome ideas from some things he said, and you want to get the straight story from him directly. Was he talking about you specifically due to some health condition? Or was he just giving them his standard postop follow-the-rules-or-else scare speech?

It sounds extremely odd to me, so you should give your doctor the benefit of the doubt and ask him firsthand what he said and what he meant. Then make a judgment.

OH you poor thing, from the research that I've read and the NUMBERS of complications that my CLinic publish... Band Erosion is like 1% and band slippage usally only occurs IF you are abusing your band... for example

if you OVER EAT amounts of food

if you progress to SOLIDS too soon

Drinking CARBONATED beverages...

if you follow the BAND rules of eating you should have a successful journey and weightloss outcome...

Can you see someone else for Fills and post surg. follow up??? this Doctor sounds like a goof!

Or is it entirely possible that your family misunderstood his comments or took them out of context ????

I agree with the other poster above, call him on it and have him :check his comments: face to face

That is great advice; I will call him first thing in the morning.

I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but this surgeon has said off things like that before. I told my family how much I disliked him and they did not understand until their conversation with him. Regardless, I have already found someone to do my fills closer to me. It was just the reality of what he said that really affected me.

I would absolutely call him on his comments. Respectfully of course. After that conversation I would call your insurance company and get a name and address of who to write a letter to regarding this matter. If he is the only doc they will pay for, they need to know of his practices. I would write a carefully worded, non-accusatory letter stating what was said to you and to your family. If they can give you specific quotes, include them. And if they are willing, I'd have them sign it. It is blatantly unfair that your insurance company should force anyone to go to a non-supportive, uncaring surgeon without the ability to go see someone else.

Bless your heart...I bet that has kinda freaked you out....well, there have been lots of people that has had the band and I think the record speaks for itself...maybe he would make more money doing the bypass and that is why he is against the lapband...

I'd say the doctor just fed your family his own personal opinion and not one supported by fact. Not the kind of things he should really be saying to anyone but you.

Doctors all have their biases and preferences and he may have reason for what he's saying, these things ARE possible but whether or not they are a high likelihood is highly debatable. But I'd be rather cross that he'd spoken to my family like that.

Hi Dont be scared, It sounds to me like the surgen has a problem with how he presents things and possibly a problem with his personality. Please dont let someone that gave you a " bad " feeling from the beginning discourage you from the happiness that the band can bring you. I was banded June 5th and I had a wonderful " friendly " " positive " surgen that actually had me very excited for my big day. You could of had the same feeling if your Dr had presented himself and the surgery differently and in a postive way to you and your family. The risk of being overweight on your heart and on your body are so much more risky and so much more common than complications from the band. Keep your chin up and look here for your positive feedback after all we all have Drs and have been throught it or are on our way to be banded. Keep us posted on your progress and Congradulations !!!! You have now lowered your risk for diabeties, heart attack, high blood pressure, ect..... which your band will help you lower those risk :)

Sincerely Kim

What a jerk! I'm very sorry for you and your family. I can understand your worry, but the TRUTH of it is that statistics are in your favor and you will be just fine. You've done the right thing, even if you had to settle for Dr jerk personality.

Keep in mind Drs are just your average run of the mill humans. They have good days, bad days, good personality, bad personality, personal problems, good skills, bad skills, etc. Just like you at your job. Maybe he's just a jerk with a bad personality, but a very good surgeon-- that's how my step-dad was.

Just be sure to take good care of yourself and never be affraid to fight for your rights!

No, that was not my surgeon. Did you have a similar experience? <br /> I want to thank everyone for their support! This process would have been so much harder if I did not have this resource to use! This support system has really been amazing

Hello

Can you tell me more about why your band slipped? I am due for banding on Aug 9/07

Thank you

mslisa