Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Torah observant Sleevers?

I am a newbie here. I added this subject to another forum and was directed here. I have been told by others that the Torah is against this surgery. I am scheduled for sleeve surgery 11/16/15. I loved what another person on this site said but thought I would move the subject here. I still struggle as if I'm doing something wrong but know beyond everything that if I don't my quality of life will continue to decrease! Has anyone else struggled like this?

Have you talked to your Rabbi? I'm not jewish but I would think that would be the best place to go to find out exactly the doctrine of your faith on the subject.

Maybe because some may interpret you are mutilating what God created in his image?

But then isn't obesity to some extent?

Maybe ask a Rabbi who is of the Reformed faith. I believe God will judge me on the content of my character not my surgically altered stomach.

I am a newbie here. I added this subject to another forum and was directed here. I have been told by others that the Torah is against this surgery. I am scheduled for sleeve surgery 11/16/15. I loved what another person on this site said but thought I would move the subject here. I still struggle as if I'm doing something wrong but know beyond everything that if I don't my quality of life will continue to decrease! Has anyone else struggled like this?

Hi I am curious, do you have a rabbi who said that the surgery is against the Torah? I find that strange since I know many orthodox and very observant jews with many forms of bariatric surgery. It would never have occurred to me to discuss this with my rabbi since Judaism clearly supports life and health over any other law. I would be curious to hear what your rabbi said about this since you seemed to feel that it was against the torah.

Not my Rabbi, but family members who are leaders in our cummunity. I'm also new to the Torah as well. I'm not Jewish, I'm sure this sounds difficult, it's hard to explain. However those words had me in a very dark place because of my love for Torah.

The Torah has changed my life in so many ways! And because I've learned to honor and respect leaders I took their word. However I have not spoken directly to my Rabbi. When I have tried to have conversations about it, I'm shut down not able to speak because they feel it's against Torah and if they listen to me try to explain all the benefits, they are supporting what Torah is against.

I was also told that I was taking the "easy way" out. I know now that my decision is the right one. I even found a blessing over the internet specifically for this surgery!

Hi! I've got some resources for you:

http://www.rabbiblock.com/archive/the-mitzvah-of-weight-loss-surgery/

http://www.timesofisrael.com/health-concerns-weigh-heavily-on-jewish-clergy/

https://www.ou.org/jewish_action/03/2015/second-chance/

Now, I'm not a rabbi, but I'm a big ol' Talmud geek. Chief among the arguments for allowing for bariatric surgery is the central precept, "and he shall live by them" (from Leviticus/Vayikra 18:5). Basically, the phrase "shall live by them" is interpreted rabbinically that following the mitzvot should (with one or two possible exceptions) never endanger your life. When there is a choice between living and following a mitzvah, the choice should be for life. That's why it's permissible to break shabbat for life threatening illnesses, or even things that *might* at some point become life threatening. That's why it's not only okay not to fast on Yom Yippur if you're diabetic, it's REQUIRED that you not fast -- that is, you don't get to choose to endanger your health.

So, even with regard to loss of a body part, no reasonable rabbi would say, "Oh, you're going to die of gangrene if they don't amputate your leg? Too bad, you'll just have to die!" And in the same way, if removing part of your stomach would help save your life -- because obesity can be life-threatening -- then there is no halakhic justification for refusing to allow it.

Now, I can say that, but ultimately, you have to live in your community. But one way you *could* try to approach such a thing would be not to make the argument yourself, but to have a doctor say, or write a letter saying, "This patient needs this surgery, it's serious, and her level of obesity is life threatening." Bonus for it being a male doctor.

You could also look at some of those links -- at least one of the rabbis who had the surgery was Orthodox.