Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am excited. I started my pre-op prep diet. Week 1 is 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal per day and week 2 is all Protein Shakes. I am not using the brand they suggested because I already had some at home. The brand they suggested is 160 calories with 25g of Protein and the ones I have are 300 calories and 40g of protein. I only have a week of these and will likely switch to the Premier Protein RTD (Ready To Drink) pre-made shakes at costco which are 160 calories and 30g of protein.

I'm sure I'll lose about 10 pounds before surgery in less than 2 weeks!!!

I think this may be tough. Any advice would be helpful. I think it's ok for me to have tea and Water between shakes, so that should keep me feeling full.

Believe it or not I hadn't weighed in until today. My official starting weight is 303 pounds. I took photos of myself facing forward and a profile photo and a picture of the reading on the scale.

Edited by Radar

Congratulations! Now, let me advise you that I would check with your doctor to see if the shakes you have at home are okay to drink. The reason being is that 300 calories a shake is high in calories and if you drink 2 of them a day that's 600 calories there, not including your meal. Most pre-op diets are about 600-800 calories a day. Also check on the meal you can eat. Most people on pre-op diets are required to eat low carb, such as lean meat and leafy greens.

Otherwise, while on the pre-op diet expect that for the first 3 days or so that you will feel horrible. You likely will have a headache, be irritable, and may feel like you are going to faint. This is normal. It will soon pass. After about 3 days or so your body will begin to adapt to the new diet and you will feel fine again.

On my pre-op I had 2 Protein shakes a day (about 160 calories a shake) and lean meat (usually chicken or tuna) on a bed of salad greens. This was followed by a week of strict liquid only. I lost 25 lbs just during the pre-op liquid diet alone. I've even heard of people losing over 30 lbs just from the pre-op diet.

Good Luck! Pretty soon you will be on the other side!

You will do great! I actually felt better during my preop diet phase - It is more of a head game because you aren't eating like you want - think of it like when you go on a diet you want everything in site! Keep your eye on the prize - Good Luck on you Journey!

I have been doing the slim fast diet lately to get myself ready for the pre-op diet. 2 shakes and a 500 calorie meal. Same thing. It is tough for sure. But I am on day 5 and I have lost 8 lbs. Good luck to you.

I spoke to my nutritionist and she doesn't like the shakes I've been using but she does approve of the Premier Protein ones from costco. So I was off track for a day, but will quickly get back on track tonight.

I told her I am feeling a bit dizzy so she said I can have 1-2 pieces of approved fruit during the day or evening and an unlimited amount of veggies from the approved list with a maximum of 1tsp of butter, oil, or other flavor. ;)

I started 6 days ago and was feeling really woozy and low energy the first 3 days. I think I was eating 1/4 of the calories I usually eat so my body was in total shock.

Today is my 6th day and I actually have more energy that I have in years!!

Stick with it - you can do it!!

I'm feeling much better today. I dont feel dizzy and it was longer before I started feeling hungry.

I would say the worst of the pre-op diet is past me but next week I go from one meal a day to none with 3 Protein shakes instead of 2.

I'm on all liquids now but I am allowed broth so it's not that bad. I hope you are feeling better. I don't think the dizziness lasts long.

I start my two week liquid diet today :)

I'm honestly excited. I'm sure I will hate it about a week in but I'm so ready for the surgery that it doesn't even matter.