Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Appointment Review

I know a lot of people are scared about/unsure about the first doctors appointment, so I thought I would share mine. Everyone is different, of course, and I know my surgeon's office did a lot, but here goes!

My appointment was at 8:15 AM. I checked in at 7:30ish, and was called back by 7:45.

I weighed (shoes on for first appointment *ahem* - the nurse laughed at me lol) and they checked my height.

I was put in a room, and within 5 minutes the nurse was back along with the Bariatric Nurse. They spent the next 45 minutes asking medical questions, getting history, etc. They also took photos (close up from the front, full body, and front the side) and did body measurements. They of course also checked my BP and temp.

After finishing, I waited about 15 minutes, and then the surgeon came in. She reviewed my history with me, checked my heart and lungs, and we discussed my weight history briefly. She also discussed my current weight and that I would need to lose just a little before surgery, but that the nutritionist would discuss the exact number with me. The visit with the surgeon, of course, was brief. But it was enough for me to know I *really* like her.

Probably about 5 minutes after the surgeon left, the nutritionist came in. We discussed the exact amount of weight I need to lose before surgery (~30 pounds), my goal weight, what my diet needs to look like now (~60-80g of Protein, less than 200g of carbs, less than 50g of fat, and approximately 1600 calories per day). She gave me a handout on high Protein foods, some tips for changing eating habits, etc. She also gave me a handout on daily Vitamin recommendations post-op, a pre-op nutrition plan, and samples (they use 'New Direction'). The pre-op diet is different from most. I start 4-6 weeks before surgery.

*Breakfast: Meal Replacement or shake equal to 200 calories

*Snack: fruit or low-fat yogurt equal to 200 calories (optional)

*Lunch: Meal Replacement or shake equal to 200 calories

*Dinner: Ready to eat meal (ie. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, etc.) - around 400 calories. If it is not that many calories - add some veggies to get there. Since I'm on blood thinners and cannot eat a side salad, she suggested a baked or lean meat, Beans, green Beans, or even 1/2 a sweet potato.

*Snack: Meal replacement or shake equal to 200 calories (optional)

--64 ounces of Water per day

I think this is a VERY generous plan, considering what I see others having to do on their preop diet. Yes, it is for 4-6 weeks, however, considering the amount of protein I will be taking in, it will be easy to follow and will allow weight loss. The only complication will be getting bored with what I am eating/drinking. So I am trying to plan ahead (I took advantage of the sale on all 3 flavors of Premiere Protein from costco, I have placed an order for sample packs from Syntrax and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, and I will be purchasing some items from the clinic of the New Direction items). I am noticing I am not a fan of items 'made' for protein - I loved the candy bar samples she gave me (and I don't care for sweets, ha), but when I tried the Soup, after a few bites, my stomach started to 'turn' and I had to stop eating it - I'm hoping that was a one time thing, or I might be in trouble!

After the nutritionist, I went straight to the financial counselor/wizard of the clinic - in other words, she takes care of everything. She gave me the intake patient packet which goes over all the steps and phases to surgery, all the clearances the doctor has ordered, all the tests I will need to have done, etc. At this point, I still had not asked all the questions I had written down, so I started asking her, figuring she would not be able to answer half, as most were medical. She had the answer to every single question. Even better, we had already been corresponding via email - so I have access to her via email - and she responds within a day, at most.

Finally, I went straight to do my labwork. They drew the blood, and I was done! They did tell me a nurse would probably be calling to tell me I had some Vitamin deficiencies somewhere, that everyone does - usually Vitamin D. That's 5 appointments, essentially, in one visit. They are EFFICIENT!

I have already been meeting with Active Health via my insurance company. They have a requirement of 6(7) months with them via telephone, or 3 months face-to-face with a doctor/nutritionist. Since I did not know how long it would take to get in to see a doctor, I was doing Active Health. Now that I'm in the clinic, I'm going to see the doctor. It should get me cleared approximately a month earlier. While not a big deal to most, there's a timing issue - end of the year (deductibles!) plus a family event in December I want to be 'healthy' for. So they set up that appointment before I left.

Let me just say - this appointment could not have gone better. For anyone who does not remember, I met with another doctor in April, and it was a horrible experience - the staff were rude, they argued about the diet (told me to eat salads, when I'm on blood thinners, and cannot consume much Vitamin K), and the doctor told me he would not do the surgery because of my medical history (I was dxed with Crohn's at 8, treated until 13, no treatment since then). I told him I had not been treated since 13, and that his website recommended the Sleeve for patients with Crohn's and Anemia, that's why I chose it. He said it did not. I showed it to him on my phone. He said, "I still won't do it." They also said I must lose 135 lbs before they would work with me, yet gave me no diet or any suggestions - even when I asked the doctor for suggestions, since I'm on the Depo shot and his nurse had just told me that made things more difficult, he just shrugged and said he didn't know. SO - I was a nervous wreck going into this appointment. I left the April appointment in tears - it had felt as though they never intended to work with me, and had no interest whatsoever in my care. This appointment, however - I could not have asked for better care or compassion!

All that to say - it was a great experience, and I am so thankful to finally be moving along on this journey! I hope this information will be helpful to someone out there!

congrats you are on your way!

Fantastic!

i had my first appointment last week and want to share my story. both me and my husband went in to see the clinic because we both have a bmi over 51. im the only one considering surgery however but my husband wanted to get information anyway. well we went in and saw the nurse together. they took our mesurments and bp. then the surgeon came in. he seems nice but very to the point. he gave my husband the name of two doctors that covers medical weight management and then took my history did a general check up and then sent me to the nutritionist. my new diet is strict no soda ( i love soda lol) no juice high Protein low fat low carbs. try to get to 10000 steps a day. no drinking with meals i have 6 meetings with the nutritionist i dont have a set amount of weight to lose but if i gain weight or dont lose any weight then im kicked out of the program

Thank you, everyone!

And @@Jessica Ellison-Correa, you can do this! If they gave you a diet to follow, even slowly but surely, even if just losing a few pounds, that will keep you in the program and get you to your surgery! I've lost 6 pounds in the last 3 days (I'd rather lose more up front, so I don't have to stress at the end if I lose enough), so if I can do it, anyone can! GOOD LUCK!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This makes me less nervous myself for my first appointment this Wednesday.

Lisa

You're welcome! I was terrified - but it was downright pleasant! Lol. So much in fact, that it has me excited to continue - it has really motivated me, and I've already lost 6 pounds in the last three days. Loving my clinic! You'll do great, Lisa!

Edited by Mistie