Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you do anything special before surgery?

I am wondering if anyone on here did or is doing anything special for themselves before their surgery? I think I will treat myself to a Shellac pedicure before I go in. I don't have my date yet, but looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Yes! I'm sorta ashamed to say, I did the food funeral! Mine took place the day before my post op diet began and was held at an amazing brazzilian steak house, ended with a chocolate souffle all to myself! After that, I made a list of things I will do for myself at each 10lb loss and things I avoided for years that I would tackle as soon as I was medically clear. Like, wear a bathing suit, go to a Water park, wear real shorts to Disney, wear a dress with no sleeves and so on. All things I had been hiding and not doing for many years like someone in witness protection! I vowed I would push my limit's and stop saying. ..I'll do it when...and I really have. I'm living life and pretty happy with how I feel and how others seem to react differently to me as well. I hope you do something special too, it's been a long time coming I'm sure!

I am supposed to take a extended weekend trip to Louisville KY w/ my best friend to see her daughter who I am also very close to. I have been hesitant b/c I don't want to go on vacation feeling 'fat' but I think this is something I need to do...try southern foods and fine whiskey (which I am a huge fan of)!! This is supposed to be the week before my surgery so it's a prime time. I also plan to make a bucket list for each 10 pounds I lose of things I have stopped doing for myself- manucures, a massage, a day trip, etc. I am so ready for this journey!!

My kids (13 & 24) and I are going to Atlanta for DragonCon (yes, I'm a nerd) Labor Day weekend. We get back on the 7th and my surgery is the 10th. This is the last time I'll go at the size I am!! WHOOP!

This is a fun thread! I have tickets to see one of my fave football teams play Sept. 12. The team's home base is several states away, but they're actually playing an away game in my town. (This happens every other year and I just moved back here a little over a year ago). To make sure I can accrue enough time off, my surgery will be the week of Sept. 14 or possibly the week after. I set the date with my surgeon on Aug. 25.

I had a food funeral for my absolute favorite food the night I started my Pre op diet. I have loved spaghetti since I was a tiny little girl. I remember when my parents would take us out to eat the first thing I would look for on the menu was spaghetti. It's not like I didn't get it at home, we are Italian and my Mom made it at least once a week.

As an adult I would make spaghetti at least once a week. I could eat it until I made myself hurt because I loved it so much.

Then I had my surgery and yes about two months ago I tried it. Guess what, I could care less if I ever have Pasta again. I no longer like the texture or taste of Pasta and I especially do not like how it makes my new tummy feel. Much like bread, I don't care if I ever eat it again.

The night before my surgery, I took a long beautiful bath while listening to my favorite relaxing music. I was determined to go into surgery fully relaxed and feeling very positive about the future. I practiced some deep breathing exercises.

For the first time I went into surgery without having even the tiniest nervous feeling, I was so very ready. I had a complication free procedure and recovery and have been living my whole new life ever since.

I wish you all the best for a safe surgery and speedy recovery.

I was thrown onto a pre-op diet earlier than most unexpectedly, as we were trying to be proactive with pre-op weight loss and liver shrinkage. I am on Day 8 of a two week diet and will go in for a weigh-in next week and I'm assuming, be on another pre-op diet with either more or less restrictions until surgery.

Because I was not aware of the fact that I would start a pre-op diet on the day I saw my dietician, I was not able to have a "food funeral" and at first I was extremely disappointed at this because I had already picked out where I was going and what I was eating, but now I'm over it. I'm kind of glad I didn't get to do it!

I don't have any plans to do anything for myself before my surgery, but it really isn't a bad idea. I love what you've all come up with and look forward to reading more ideas. The pedicure is actually something I'm considering so far!

Thanks for sharing, these are all fun to read!

Edited by Nikikins

I've bought a few hundred dollars worth of perfumes in the past couple of weeks, lol. I've relatively recently become a perfume addict, and I tend to like harder-to-find (at least, hard to find off-line) perfumes, so I snatched up some good finds when I found them for sale at a good price.

We have a boutique right up the rd from my house. She carries the cutest clothes and accessories you have ever seen and she is one of the sweetest souls you have ever met. So when I decided to have the surgery, I went into the boutique one day and asked her if I could.just start a running tab. She looked puzzled so I went on to tell her I didn't want to go into details but there would be some changes in my life soon and when I felt like I was ready I wanted to have a day to just come into her boutique and be able to try on and buy clothes all day. She looked so sinserely happy for me and said absolutely! So ever since that day I have stopped in there periodically and given her 25-50 dollars to just "hold". I can't wait to have my day at the boutique!!

@@nervous nana- what a fab idea!!!

Thanks, I couldn't be certain I could save the money any other way and I would certainly never ask her for it back so I pay myself an allowance in advance. I ride by the boutique several times a day looking at the beautiful outfits in the window and it's awesome to think I might be wearing one of them next year!!!

I enjoy cooking - all the men in my family are good cooks - and have a bunch of family recipes I dig making (and eating!). So, initially I was going to do a couple weeks of food funerals, all my favorite recipes and foods, but then stumbled upon this website:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

It reminded me that with a couple smart recipe substitutions here and there, I'll still be able to make my favorite dishes down the road (it'll be awhile, need to focus entirely on weight loss for 6-12months, but it'll happen again). So, I had a couple food funerals for things I thought I might not eat again, like sushi (with all the rice), etc. And I did have a couple of decently big beverage nights out with friends to get it out of my system.

The other thing I started doing was making a list of all the things I want to do when I'm skinnier that I can't do now due to weight, such as skydiving, taking martial arts, etc. That gets me more and more psyched about the surgery, life afterwards, and making it all very successful.

But that's about it.

I enjoy cooking - all the men in my family are good cooks - and have a bunch of family recipes I dig making (and eating!). So, initially I was going to do a couple weeks of food funerals, all my favorite recipes and foods, but then stumbled upon this website:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

It reminded me that with a couple smart recipe substitutions here and there, I'll still be able to make my favorite dishes down the road (it'll be awhile, need to focus entirely on weight loss for 6-12months, but it'll happen again). So, I had a couple food funerals for things I thought I might not eat again, like sushi (with all the rice), etc. And I did have a couple of decently big beverage nights out with friends to get it out of my system.

The other thing I started doing was making a list of all the things I want to do when I'm skinnier that I can't do now due to weight, such as skydiving, taking martial arts, etc. That gets me more and more psyched about the surgery, life afterwards, and making it all very successful.

But that's about it.

I too am making a list of all of the things I want to do when I'm smaller and it's helping me overcome the fears and anxieties I am having about the surgery because it's showing me that the reward far outweighs the risk. Some of my items are roller skating, ziplining and parasailing! I even have some things that are simple like running or riding a bike! :)