Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery years ago, and i lost a lot of weight. But i gained back some and i was told recently if i wasnt going to count calories i at least need to keep up with Protein. But lord save me i cant remember what i use to do for protein at any meal. Help please?

In my opinion, someone so far out (I will be 4 years in Dec) should avoid Protein bars - way too many calories (and carbs!) in a small package. I have more appetite and less "restriction" then I did in the first year or two so I think hard about avoiding "calorie/carb" dense food as a daily staple even if it is high Protein.< /p>

I do however think that Premier Protein premixed drinks (and some other good brands) ARE a good protein bargain. I consume one before noon in my coffee, drinking it, making a smoothie - whatever. 30 G protein/ 160 calories / 5 carbs

For another Breakfast idea is to sautee veggies, a healthy (usually chicken) sausage cut up. then add egg beaters and let cook. I love to "finish it" under a broiler - sliced Tomato over the top, with a light sprinkle of very good and strong cheese. It is usually too much to eat at one sitting, so I have half early and the other half 3-4 hours later - some days that is lunch.

My favorite lunch is a costco salmon patty cooked per directions (grilled!) on top of take romaine lettuce. The romaine is spritzed with olive oil. the salmon and lettuce get a dose of WHITE balsamic vinegar. I also add tomato, sliced cukes, mushrooms or other things I might have to the salad.

Snacks - a piece of (organic or less processed) sandwich meat.

-leftovers from a previous dinner

Dinner: Fish, seafood, chicken or beef as main course. I do eat turkey and pork, but more as sandwich meat then main course.... my point is, pick your favorites

Low carb veggies next.

I generally avoid large quantities of rice, noodles, bread, potato.

Does this help any?

@@CowgirlJane

Hi there - do you watch calories, and what is your daily target? I am a newbie at 10 weeks out, but wondering about the loss of restriction as time goes on. Right now I am eating about 600-800 calories a day. Getting Protein shakes each day is a challenge. But I can certainly tell that is the true key to the scale going down.

@@gayle - do you still get your blood work done at least yearly? I was told I would be monitoring it for life. I ask because I am sure your WLS doctor can provide updated info for your diet.

My list really is geared to longer term/vererans and of course is not complete. Example, my egg beaters veggie dish is more volume/not enough Protein for new post ops. It is normal and expected that the quantity you consume at a time increases over time.

I don't count calories but I am the exception not the rule on that one. I had a lot of food trauma over counting calories since I have dieting since I was 8 years old.

At my 1 year check up my surgeon said "year two is nearly as important as year one". He was of course forewarning me that my year three I would really need those good habits more that "restriction "- that is normal and just plain how it works.

I am nowhere near being a veteran or near maintenance, but it was drilled in my head that reaching my Protein goals each and every day is a lifetime commitment.

To me that means Protein at every meal and getting 100 grams a day.

From what I read in the OPs statement, that is what she was advised.

When i had surgery the Protein target was 60 g plus. My practice has updated it to be 80-100grams based on updated experience/evidence.

Even all these years out, I have a hard time hitting 80-100 grams without the premier Protein drinks. I thought i was doing okay until I tracked a few days and even with Protein first, I was still in the range of 60 or so.

I thought the OP was asking for food suggestions to make the protein goals - maybe I misunderstood.

When i had surgery the Protein target was 60 g plus. My practice has updated it to be 80-100grams based on updated experience/evidence.

Even all these years out, I have a hard time hitting 80-100 grams without the Premier Protein drinks. I thought i was doing okay until I tracked a few days and even with Protein first, I was still in the range of 60 or so.

I thought the OP was asking for food suggestions to make the protein goals - maybe I misunderstood.

It was unclear to me what the OP was asking, too. But, I just couldn't understand how someone 4 years out wouldn't know how to include protein with a meal.

I can see protein goals increasing, especially with exercise, just not decreasing. I consider mine a minimum target.