Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet ultimate failure to come......HELP

Hello everyone, I am currently mid week into the first week of my 2 week liver reduction diet and I can tell you that I am having a difficult time. Having to prepare meals for my family have proven to be the hardest adventure of all. I mean the food smell and look so good, but ultimately I know that I can not have any...PERIOD. How did you manage to prepare meals for your family without slipping a piece or two in your mouths. How did you get over the cravings and urges....I am trying so hard to succeed and I am afraid I will not shrink my liver in time for my surgery next Friday. HELP

It's tough, no question. I only have to prepare meals for myself, so I can't help with that issue. But if you have any hobbies, use those, or other activities that will keep your hands busy, and require a certain degree of attention, to keep your mind off of your diet.

I'm 6 days post op, on liquids, and I still use this tactic to keep me distracted and on tract. Good luck!

This is a good time to figure some things out. Why don't you feed your family healthy foods that you can eat? Does your pre-op diet allow for a protein/veggie dinner? Do you really think it will be any easier/different after surgery? This is a really good time to assess if your current lifestyle and responsibilities will allow you to be successful with WLS. Please think hard about this, not an easy path we walk. Good luck.

I am aware that this doesn't get any easier after surgery, and where I can prepare healthier meals for my family I can not expect them to not want certain things all of a sudden because I am not allowed to have them anymore. That wouldn't be fair. I know that they should support me through the wls and after, however I made the choice to have this procedure for me first, which I hope we all did. My diet allows for a protein/veggie dinner, which I stated above. I have been able to eat this week, but next week is going to be tough for me with only doing liquids. The hobby thing sounds like a good idea, I guess I can find something else to keep me distracted lol. I am very strong willed but this is all new to me and I am trying to stay as disciplined as I possibly can to prepare for the rest of my life. I have even found places where I can begin eating away from home that serve healthier meals, like Zoes Kitchen for example, so I am definitely prepared for this long road ahead me. Thank you guys for the insight!

@@mizzlane13 Easy....I made my husband do it and I stayed in my room at all meal times with my handy dandy shake, out of sight out of mind. See that's him! Still alive and so are the kids! That's kinda how he looked during the whole process lol!!!

post-237766-0-47411200-1438793238_thumb.jpg

I don't have children at home, so made my hubby cook for himself. It is still hard no matter what you have to do, I was on straight liquids for the full 2weeks. One tip that helped me tremendously was when I started craving food I drank bouillon cube in 16 oz liquid, gives you the savory feeling without cheating. I feel for you, but it is possible, go walk around the block or something to distract you when it gets really bad and the bouillon doesn't seem to work.

Agree with @@Elode, will your hubby help you get through this process? One of the women in my live support group made a portion for herself and froze it for later so she didn't feel so left out. Maybe that will help with the things running through your head?

I also used those swansons broths they have in hot & sour Soup, Thai ginger, Mexican tortilla ect...

Definitely hard to do since I'm the person that cooks at home but you have to stay focus on your goals

Thank You all. I have the bouillon cubes so I will definitely give them a try, and I was sent some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Soups as well. My husband was looking like yours the other night @@Elode which was too funny. But all in all he supports me 100%, and he makes sure I stay on the right track at all times. Its just when I am away from home........lol...but today I have been doing good. I have some left over salmon and salad so that'll be my dinner. I am the primary cook in the house, but lately I have been having my oldest two girls participate in the meal preparation so I can stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. I have to cut as many corners as I can :P

If your kids are old enough maybe you could continue ton have them help out. Surely your husband can help out. I don't have kids, but I told my husband that I would not be cooking so he is going to have to fend for himself. I got easy meals for him to prepare only because I have more time to do the shopping. I know you want to take care of your family, but you have to take care of you as well. One thing you could do is have your meal as you cook theres, or a salad.

Personally if I'm not hungry, I don't feel the need to be tempted. You could always make foods that are not triggers for you.

Well to begin, my children are at the age where they can prepare meals on their own, and my husband would rather eat out than cook, but that's neither here nor there. He is very active in sports so weight has never been an issue for him so I would not even begin to strip him from whatever it is he wants to eat. He is a man who loves hot wings and beer and if that's what he wants, that's what he will have :P lol. but anywho.....UPDATE...I am currently 9lbs down and 5 days away from my surgery. I have been very successful at the liquid diet by incorporating some of the items some of you suggested. Jello has become my best friend!!!! Ultimately the change will start with me. My children, who are very impressionable, will eventually follow my new healthier ways of eating, which honestly, they sort of have jumped on the bandwagon a little already :) . My husband will be a working progress like myself, so patience is going to be tested on both ends. But I am going to let Jesus take the wheel on this and have faith that everything will work itself out.

I'm a single mom so when I went through the pre op phase, I stocked my kitchen with foods my son could prepare himself- sandwiches, Cereal, lunchables, popcorn, etc. He survived and I wasn't tempted.

Post op, my mom came down while I recovered. She fed him and fixed some things for the freezer til I am up and eating.

@mizzlane13 Congratulations on keeping to the plan and well done o the weight loss !!