Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major non scale victory for me today!

I was banded on the 14th. Altogether from starting the pre-op diet to now I have lost about 28 lbs. I have only been really conscious of it due to the scale moving and my clothes becoming baggier. I didn't look in the mirror and feel like I looked any different.

Today I had one of my first NSVs. I noticed my Facebook picture was kind of old and needed updating, so I took a few selfies. This was the first time I was like "wow, nearly 30 pounds does make a difference." Well, I have vacation in a week or so and my husband reminded me to try on my old swimsuit to see if it fit in case I needed to buy another. After trying it on and looking in the mirror I, for the first time, really saw myself. My luck with my selfies inspired me to take a picture, which led to me making the jump and posting the photo to my Facebook page. This may not seem like a big deal to some but I don't even wear shorts in public and feel naked if I leave the house without a cardigan, regardless of the temp outside. I have always felt uncomfortable in my own skin and to post a photo of myself in a swimsuit on social media was MAJOR for me. I was sweating bullets with my finger over the "post" button and was so afraid I would be met with negativity over it but friends have come out of the woodwork to leave positive messages on the photo. It has become my most liked and most commented on photo. I even had a girl friend say "God, I wish I had your legs!" I have NEVER had ANYONE say they wanted a part of their body to look like mine. I was floored.

The point of this lengthy post is that I overcame a major fear today and it came as a result of this weight loss journey. I feel like I have made a step forward with my confidence and self worth today. And it didn't come from the people who commented on my photo, it came from the realization that I am a person of worth and beauty and I deserve to be happy and healthy. I couldn't have made it to this point without having decided I was worth WLS. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to do this and am looking forward to more personal growth and additional NSVs along the way.

Has anyone else had a NSV recently? I would like to hear more uplifting stories, no matter how small or large!

Non-surgery victory

Outstanding work! Congratulations!

NSV stands for non scale victory

NSV = Non scale victory, like when the scale doesn't move, but who cares because your pants are suddenly too loose ! Or some one notices your face is thinner ( one of my 1st NSV's) and ask you if you've lost weight, or you can do something that you could'nt do before WLS , like paint your own toes because your tummy has shrunk ! These things can keep you going when you have a stall and dont feel you're making any progress !

Congrats Paige!! omg I was crying reading your post!!!!!! I can identify. What a great story, and thank you. I can hardly wait to not hide in pictures,...that is my goal

Congrats- that is an awesome NSV. It feels amazing when you can take pics and be proud of them. It's a huge step.

My whole life is one big NSV. My most recent one was this trip to London I took. Three years ago I never thought I'd get there and it's a place I've wanted to visit since I was a young woman. Everything about it was a NSV from biking through the royal parks to walking all over the city.

NSVs can also be very small and/or intimate such as a throwaway comment I got from a nurse at a recent check up. She put the exam table down so my legs wouldn't dangle. I'm a short lady..always have been but as a heavy short lady, no one said what the nurse said as she put the table lower. She laughed and said, let me lower this..you really are an itty-bitty thing, aren't you?' Itty-bitty. Never though I hear anyone describe me that way but these day, yes...I'm kinda itty-bitty.

My whole life is one big NSV. My most recent one was this trip to London I took. Three years ago I never thought I'd get there and it's a place I've wanted to visit since I was a young woman. Everything about it was a NSV from biking through the royal parks to walking all over the city.

NSVs can also be very small and/or intimate such as a throwaway comment I got from a nurse at a recent check up. She put the exam table down so my legs wouldn't dangle. I'm a short lady..always have been but as a heavy short lady, no one said what the nurse said as she put the table lower. She laughed and said, let me lower this..you really are an itty-bitty thing, aren't you?' Itty-bitty. Never though I hear anyone describe me that way but these day, yes...I'm kinda itty-bitty.

That is so great! One thing I have avoided myself for a long time is long distance travel because I feared my weight would make it difficult. I don't think I am QUITE there yet to make plans as big as these, but now I have added something to my list of "to-dos".

Paige Dukes, I loved reading your post about the new picture (Wow ! You're brave !), but the part that struck me the most was "I didnt wear shorts in public and didn't even leave the house without a cardigan, regardless of the temperature. " That comment was me to a T ! I was very uncomfortable with my body, especially my belly. Always had a cardigan or lite jacket to cover it up. I didn't even like walking out to the mailbox in case a car went by. Now ? Totally. Different. Occasionally knee length shorts, capris or slim jeans, and a nice t shirt. Almost flat stomach .

No cardigan needed, although I still love /wear them when necessary. I hope everything continues to go well for you, many more NSV's coming your way ! Congratulations again !!

This post made my day!