Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking a Drink After Surgery

I am one week post op and wanted to know if I would damage my band if I had one drink for the holiday weekend?

<p>OK you are not going to like this but here goes.</p> <p>NO DRINKING! NO DRINKING! NO DRINKING!</p> <p>Anything else?</p> <p> </p> <p>Alcohol will cause irritation at your restricted site. This will cause swelling. This will cause acid reflux and Then will cause tightening. This will (can) cause erosion, migration.</p> <p>Be carefull this is a slippery slope. </p> <p>Sure you can have a drink maybe even several. But maybe the first one will cause you to swell up and PB. Is it worth it? Get a nice glass and put some cool tea with some big ice cubes. Looks like Scotch. Who is going to know? Its your band take care of it.</p>

are you saying banded folks can never drink alcohol? Or, that it should be avoided initially?

My surgeon/nutritionist team strongly recommends severely limiting alcohol intake. They've never said anything about irritating the stoma, but their biggest concern is the carbonation from beer causing stretching, and the 'empty' calories from any alcoholic drink. They say a very occasional drink isn't horrible, but they don't want me to get in the habit of drinking frequently.

I try not to give people medical direction unless I'm relaying it from my surgeon/nutritionist, and I try to be careful to point that out.

Not sure if Mattintosh is relaying policy from his surgeon or from the company he apparently works for (getbandednow.com)

Since you do not have restriction from a fill yet, a beer is not as bad. The empty calories will be the worst thing. Don't drink and take pain medicine though. Sure you will feel good, but you'll pay for it later.

My doctor told me that I could drink wine (just in moderation) beer does have carbonation and it could stretch the pouch, but he said be aware of empty carolies, just exercise more on thursday!!!

Have fun!!!

My surgeon/nutritionist team strongly recommends severely limiting alcohol intake. They've never said anything about irritating the stoma, but their biggest concern is the carbonation from beer causing stretching, and the 'empty' calories from any alcoholic drink. They say a very occasional drink isn't horrible, but they don't want me to get in the habit of drinking frequently.

I try not to give people medical direction unless I'm relaying it from my surgeon/nutritionist, and I try to be careful to point that out.

Not sure if Mattintosh is relaying policy from his surgeon or from the company he apparently works for (getbandednow.com)

I am down 200 lbs! You don't lose that kind of tonage drinking alcohol!

It is full of empty calories.

If you have solid restriction the kind that causes you difficulty drinking cokes and beer the you will find that Vodka or Jack or whatever will sit and burn. A little each sip. I know people that have had serious trouble because they "tested" their bands. Its not worth it. I say don't do it.

There is a guy that owns one of the Bandster boards. He Drank and not only got the burned stoma from drinking but lost his band as well. All from drinking. The question initially was is it ok to have a drink. If you are asking me I say No. All for the reasons above.

P.S. Good advice is priceless doesn't matter from whom it comes.

Sheesh!:whoo:

The band is a life long thing. Im just wondering if that means you will NEVER be able to have a glass of wine at a party or celebration. I understand you cant loose weight drinking all the time. I only drink a few times a year now. But I thought you could have a glass of wine now and then.

The band is a life long thing. Im just wondering if that means you will NEVER be able to have a glass of wine at a party or celebration. I understand you cant loose weight drinking all the time. I only drink a few times a year now. But I thought you could have a glass of wine now and then.

Please understand that your questions are being directed too. We bandsters come from all slices of experience. Some folks here have almst died from obesity, some have serious diabetes issues, some just want to lose weight to look or feel better etc.

So when you ask " can I break the rules once in awhile"? Smoe of us want to support you by saying "absolutely not"!!!

Of course a drink a few times a year is not likely to hurt you. But we know that one can lead to two and on and on. We don't want to be enabling you to fail.

If its something you want then do it. Just get back on track right after...

We are just people and the band is only a tool we work. Have your drink then get back to working that band. Maybe walk extra next day or drink extra Water or?

Don't beat yourself up, don't set yourself up to fail. Have that dang drink make it a small one and only one then get back to work...

I hope I have not been to rough but I know that people on these boards sometimes do exactly as we tell them. So once more " do not drink"!!

But if you choose to then get back on track as soon as you finish that one drink.....:):):)

Only wish to be of service

Matt

P.S. I do not think that one drink will damage you....

Caution about drinking!!!!!!!! Research is showing the gastric surgery recipients are increasingly becoming alcoholics after surgery-even if they had no drinking before the surgery!!! I know its easy to say "it won't happen to me" but be careful. The band is for life so you'll have to deal with it. :)

Caution about drinking!!!!!!!! Research is showing the gastric surgery recipients are increasingly becoming alcoholics after surgery-even if they had no drinking before the surgery!!! I know its easy to say "it won't happen to me" but be careful. The band is for life so you'll have to deal with it. :)

I rest my case. :-)

Matt