Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning: Fresh/frozen cherries

Just a fair warning, I love cherries, specially the dark sweet type, and have been consuming them in their canned form since I was a kid, even after the surgery once they were allowed, these are OK if canned apparently...

Just avoid the frozen/fresh ones, they cause painful, and I do mean PAINFUL bloating, I learned this the hard way... apparently cherries of all kinds contain a carbohydrate that's difficult to digest and may cause you to feel gassy and bloated, specially if fresh/frozen, now take our tiny stomachs and the pain goes tenfold, I was writhing in pain for 1-2 hours after eating a measly 1/2 cup.

Thanks for the warning! What a hard way to learn that lesson!

It may be that the skins are too hard on you, since you are pretty new post op. My plan didn't allow for any raw fruit for the first several months. I'm 2.5 years out and had fresh cherries last night with no issue.

I'm 11 months out, and enjoying the heck out of fresh cherries this summer. No problems at all. Probably like someone said, too soon for you.

It may be your body is more used to canned fruits. I've had no issues with fresh berries and I've been eating them since probably 2 -3 mths out. I've also had no issues with any fruit or veg. fresh, frozen or raw.

I am with Blerdgirl, no problems of any kind, 3 mos. post by-pass. I live in a valley where cherries are raised, we just had Cherry Days, and no problems eating them.

I am 10 weeks out and have been enjoying a handful of cherries as an evening snack. No issues.

for me, its a texture thing, they have that live "pop" that i just cant do , it is a big reason why i dont eat fruit skins at al, and always liked bananas, which is not the greatest fruit for you. but any fleshy fruits i can deal with. melon, sure, and pears and apple minus the skins, yep. but nothing else. lol but i limit fruits to an extremely low level, i like mango and some berries in a smoothie Protein shake, but i only do that once a week and as a workout adjunct. other than that i dont encourage even natural sugars in my diet if i can help it, of course i do get them from veg but not a way around that.

It may be your body is more used to canned fruits. I've had no issues with fresh berries and I've been eating them since probably 2 -3 mths out. I've also had no issues with any fruit or veg. fresh, frozen or raw.

This is my experience, as well.

I think this is one of those YMMV things where you may have to try it to find out how your sleeve reacts.

Yeah! I am so glad to hear you all are eating cherries with no problem. I was headed to the farmers market on Saturday to get some fresh bing cherries. They are only in season here for a very short window and they are my favorite.

I am 9.5 months post op and am guessing I won't have a problem.

Can't wait til Saturday!

Every body is different, what makes one person sick may not make the other sick. I had prime rib and brussel sprouts ten days after surgery (just a small portion), and not a problem. I drank mineral Water a month out, no problem, but that was me and only me. To this day I can't stomach milk, it makes me very sick, but I can eat ice cream just fine. It's all a learning curve listening to your body and understanding what you can and can't eat or drink.

Hey by no means this was a "OMG CHERRIES TAKE COVER!" thread, lol.

Just a warning to be careful and see if they bother you, otherwise I'm glad to hear you guys are eating them without problems, sucks that this is happening to me even after I was cleared for fruits, been eating lots of them fresh and canned without issue except fresh cherries, heck even mango flesh doesn't cause me problems. :(

I never had any problems with cherries and ate a half cup of them today! Now apples on the other hand... Ouch! We are all different!