Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome to the Special Needs Forum!

It can be frustrating when you don’t fit the mold. It feels like no matter how badly you follow the instructions and do what everyone else does, you can’t because of something outside of your control. You might live in a rural area that doesn’t clear the streets in the winter, so you can’t walk outside. Or maybe you’re vegan but you can’t tolerate Beans anymore – so how can you get in your Protein? Or maybe exercise is hard because it’s painful for you.

Whatever it is, there’s a good chance someone else knows what it’s like, and can offer support if not solutions. This is where you can come for support for special needs. Enjoy the forum!

@@Alex Brecher, I can't think of anything I would need this forum for right at the moment, but I just wanted to say thanks for always thinking about us and trying to find ways to help. I've been really impressed with the number of different sub-forums we have and this one just adds to it. :)

Since losing 160 lbs, I try to stay constantly active and moving, in order to maintain. I, also workout twice a day, seven days a week, with few exceptions, using a recumbant stationary bike, treadmill, long walks and dumbbells.

Living alone, in a rural area, there are few options for things to do and or socialize, yet I hate sitting still. Being disabled, also limits my options for things to do and increases the amount of lag time that I need to fill.

If anyone, in a similar situation, can give me ideas to keep busy & active and/or other workout options (that do not involve internet), I would LOVE to hear from you!

I don't know where you live or what resources you have available, but I work in a psych hospital, part of discharge is to make sure ALL patients have after care and any programs needed to incorporate care and socialization, I am also a father to a special needs stepson and my son, if you are willing to look at the Internet for programs in your County or City then there should be resources where you may attend day programs, there are also many sports leagues in different areas where you can join a bowling, basketball, league etc. I don't even know if you have SSD or SSI, that can provide you with transportation options, ultimately you will need the Internet but not for dating, lol, for information on resources in your area, good luck and let me know how it goes!!!!!!!

I don't know where you live or what resources you have available, but I work in a psych hospital, part of discharge is to make sure ALL patients have after care and any programs needed to incorporate care and socialization, I am also a father to a special needs stepson and my son, if you are willing to look at the Internet for programs in your County or City then there should be resources where you may attend day programs, there are also many sports leagues in different areas where you can join a bowling, basketball, league etc. I don't even know if you have SSD or SSI, that can provide you with transportation options, ultimately you will need the Internet but not for dating, lol, for information on resources in your area, good luck and let me know how it goes!!!!!!!

My disabilities prevent me from doing sports. I do enjoy hiking and walking, though. I am not so disabled that i would be eligible nor desire to attend a day program. Despite my disabilities, I am very fit and active within my abilities. I just have too many empty hours, that I am looking to fill. Several hours a week, I help my friend in her deli. I do get SSD and have my own car, it's just that this area offers nothing to do other than bars. I do have internet, however, it is expensive, has a data cap, unused data does not roll over but they charge a high price if I go over. Which is why I cannot look for work out videos or music online. Not even interested in dating, lol at least not from what's available here, lol!

Keep trying there has to be something, maybe a painting, clay type of class you can take, I say think outside the box.......or move??? Lol

Painting as well as anything involving my neck, causes too much pain. can't even read a book anymore. Been working on the same book for two years, a couple pages at a time.

I am on a waiting list for an apartment. Hopefully, there will be more opportunities to interact with neighbors plus places to walk to. I could walk to do my errands, killing two birds with one stone.

Thinking outside the box is my specialty, just have run out of ideas, and it's alot of hours I'm trying to fill.

As O suggested on another post, I think your first stop should be the public library: for exercise videos, Internet access, audio books, book clubs, community activities, etc.

What I hear from your posts is that you are bored and are having trouble thinking of things to do to fill your time.

I realize that as you are in a rural area there are not a lot of obvious things available to entertain you, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

As I mentioned before, look for existing clubs and organizations (Sierra club, churches, community groups, etc.) for activities and volunteer opportunities. Practice a hobby. Pursue a project. Take a walk.

If you want to message me with more specifics ((your location and your age would help as well as any other info you would be comfortable sharing) I would be glad to help you look for some specific ideas.

I looked into the sierra club, not in my area. Volunteering is difficult, as there are some days that my health problems require me to be at home. Also, I help my friend in her deli, and due to the nature of her life, only knows, the morning of, if she will need me. I will be checking with local libraries for exercise videos.

I am in rural, poor Sullivan County, NY and am 50 with the energy of a 20 year old, lol!

Maybe it's just not possible to be physically active 18 hours a day, but I sure want to try.

My medical conditions include bilateral PTTD, Severe ankylosing spondylosis in my entire spine with cervical & lumbar being the worst, torn MCL/PCL in right knee, chondromalacia patella with hypermobile kneecap in my left knee, and severe ulcerative colitis which hasn't been in remission since last November. That being said, I am in constant pain of some level, yet high energy. These things are all progressive, too.

Various custom braces make it so these things hinder me little, aside from the back/neck pain. I've pretty much learned what exacerbates the pain and what doesn't.

I just googled Sullivan County NY and think I found a good number of options for you to explore.

I noticed that there are several parks: federal, state, and local in your area.

Here is a link to a lot of NY environmental groups. This is where I would start if I wanted to meet people who are interested in hiking and outdoor activities.

http://www.eco-usa.net/orgs/ny.shtml

There seem to be a good number of theaters. Maybe some of them need help painting sets, etc.

There also seem to be a lot of artists and galleries. Check with local artists for classes.

I noted yoga retreats and studios and hotels and resorts. Some hotels offer memberships to locals to use their facilities.

Why not pick one place you have never been and go explore. It will get you out of the house. Whether you go to the farmers market, a museum or gallery, a pick-your-own or other farm, a park, etc. take a journal and a camera and explore.

cool, thanks! Checking that site right now!

I am about two months out from surgery. One more diet documentation to go then I'll see what the insurance says. Anyway I suffer from bipolar disorder and was wondering what or how they will do my psych meds in the first few days after surgery when I can't swallow much.

I work on a psych unit, and they will only interrupt your scheduled meds if they have an adverse effect after surgery, most of the time it is tapered as the weight comes off.....