Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I'm getting very close to my surgery day (6-29-15...eeek!) and was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to bring or what you should have brought with you on the big day. I have things on my list like Gas X dissolvable strips, baby wipes, a pillow, hand sanitizer, make-up remover wipes, travel size toiletries, etc. I'm just curious to hear other people's opinions! Thanks!! ????

i packed a bag and used NONE of it...i walked out in my jammies but didnt care about anything else...

also with the Gas X my surgeon told me that strips didnt help with that air, because its "third space" air and not actually all in your stomach, i tried it anyway and he was right lol i still have a full box at home

good luck!

That's good to know! Thanks for the input.

Honestly, you don't need too much if you're just going to a local hospital (rather than flying somewhere/abroad, etc.) because the hospital will give you what you need.

I brought a book and didn't read it at all. Didn't use my GasX strips in the hospital either. They gave me an ice pack to help with the pain - which helped a lot because it sort of numbed the area.

I didn't pull anything out of my bag except a clean pair of underwear (to put them on once I was in my room and settled....didn't want to walk around in my johnny completely naked!) and on my last day, I changed into loose, thin sweatpants, a sports bra, a shirt and flip flops.

Of course, I had my cell phone and charger...that kept me busy when I wasn't sleeping.

Honestly, you don't need too much if you're just going to a local hospital (rather than flying somewhere/abroad, etc.) because the hospital will give you what you need.

I brought a book and didn't read it at all. Didn't use my GasX strips in the hospital either. They gave me an ice pack to help with the pain - which helped a lot because it sort of numbed the area.

I didn't pull anything out of my bag except a clean pair of underwear (to put them on once I was in my room and settled....didn't want to walk around in my johnny completely naked!) and on my last day, I changed into loose, thin sweatpants, a sports bra, a shirt and flip flops.

Of course, I had my cell phone and charger...that kept me busy when I wasn't sleeping.

sounds just like my experience, i was so worked up and prepared and all i cared about was my jammies and sleeping. lol

That's good to know! Thanks for the input.

good luck with your surgery! everyones experience is different so here is hoping yours is a comfy one :)

My surgey is the same day! Woopwoop. I plan on bringing toiletries, comfy clothes because being in the Johnny is not comfortable to me, my cell and my charger. I think this it. Yay, good luck!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. It's awesome to have a group of people that are experiencing the same things. It really helps with the nerves!

I took way too much stuff, like I was camping out. What I did use was my Chapstick. I had GasX Strips, but I used them for breath freshener.

Things I used:

--clean underpants

--comfy cotton sports bra that fastens in front (you may end up with an incision along your bra line -- trust me, you do NOT want this while wearing an underwire bra, or even a regular bra!)

--charger with extra long cord for my phone

--lip balm

--toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, deodorant

Things other people suggested I might need which I didn't:

--laptop, ipad, kindle (no way did I have the attention span for any of that, plus too busy sipping and walking)

--any other toiletries or makeup (this is major surgery, not a spa vacation, the hospital will have the basics)

--my own pajamas or robe (the hospital provides gowns, which are much easier to manage in conjunction with IV lines, drains, etc. -- just put an extra one on backwards when you go out walking the hall to avoid flashing people)

--non-skid socks or slippers (hospital provides non-skid socks and won't allow use of personal socks/slippers)

--gas-x strips -- these are useless for surgical gas anyway, and hospitals frown on or prohibit use of any medications they did not provide

--a pillow (I just made sure that my ride home had a pillow to clutch -- hospitals have plenty of pillows for use there)

--books, magazines -- lol no, see above with respect to laptops and tablets

IMO keep it as basic and lightweight as you can. The most important thing is not what you bring with you but your commitment to being upright and moving as soon as possible after surgery. When they take you to your room after recovery, do NOT let them put you in the bed! Sit upright on the sofa or easy chair in your room and get up and start walking as soon as you can! Do make sure you have a nurse or support person there when you get up and walk the first few times though. Walking. moving, and being upright instead of lying down are the fastest way to get rid of the gas.

I needed my Jammie pants so my butt didn't hang out of my gown while I was walking, slippers and my phone. That's it.

I agree with Babbs. I didn't use anything I brought except my phone. I did really well with the surgery (at least that's what the nurses kept telling me lol) but I was still too tired and sore to do much other than get up and walk around a few times a day. Didn't read my book. I did have bf help me wash up a little the day after so baby wipes aren't a bad idea. But I didn't get dressed until the last day, was a little too sore. Best of luck to you!!! Keep us all posted :)

I just packed clothes and that's it. The weird thing is my surgeon didn't want any of us wearing our own panties and has us wearing hospital-ish ones. It was weird lol

Also... I bought gas strips and the nurses and surgeon wouldn't let me have them. They said it really wouldn't help.

I only stayed one night so i didn't bring too much. The only things used were loose clothes and slippers for ride home, my iPad and my toothbrush. The hospital gave me lip balm and no slip socks.

I also packed a ton and used very little.

I wasn't allowed to use any over the counter meds I brought in the hospital (gas x, throat lozenges, anything!) but they brought me throat lozenges which were awesome.

Used my cell phone/charger

Used my Chapstick.

The hospital gave me toiletries even toothbrush/paste which is all I used.

My own pillow from home (the ones in the hospital had crunch plastic cases for cleanliness so they were noisey and uncomfortable

That's about it