Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

Went to my first info session yesterday and have my first official appointment at the end of the month. While I'm excited about the chance for a "new beginning" I'm also really scared.

I'm the kind of person who will have second thoughts up until the procedure, then once it's done I'll be fully committed to the changes required.

I will be looking at 6 months from 1st appointment based on insurance requirements and am looking for tips on how to manage the nervousness. I've been through many surgeries before so it's not really the surgery aspect. I can't quite put my finger on it - just feel incredibly nervous. Anyone else?

BB

For me, when I had enough room to examine it, it was nervousness about whether I could really do it...I didn't want to fail at what seemed at the time like a "last resort". I had that through about the first month of my 3 month supervised diet....but when I went in after the first month and met with the nutritionist ( a requirement for my doctor) and I had lost weight....I was like OK, I can do this.

So let the butterflies fly! But have the net ready to capture them eventually because you will find strength and success in the smallest things and then you will know you can do it! Good luck!

I was also a bit nervous about the process and how it all works. Would I be successful?

Do research and gather information to gain knowledge about the process. Look for ideas of what to eat for all stages, including alternative, healthy ways to have your favorites.

Knowledge is power and might just calm those butterflies. It helped me to know what was going to happen both with surgery and eating after.

Good luck!!!

nothing is wrong with being nervous. You are going through a major life change, you should be nervous. take your time, channel it into your resolve to do this. Youll do fine.

I would make a list of the reasons you want to have the surgery, and a "bucket list" of things that you want to do after you've lost the weight. This was huge for me. Anytime I had doubts through the 9 month process leading up to my surgery I would go back to my "surgery bucket list" and remind myself why I was doing it.

I also started a blog right after/before (I can't remember right this minute) my first pre-op appointment to chronicle my journey. That is something that I've kept up even until this day (it's linked in my siggy). It has been SO incredibly helpful to look back at the entire journey from time to time - when I questioned my decision before surgery, yes absolutely - but also after surgery to see exactly how far I've come and remind myself that I am not going back.

So.....write!! That is my answer! :-)

Take stock of why you want this. For me, it was a scared skinny (well scared less fat so far). I had some issues and was diagnosed with diabetes and my blood sugar was so high it messed with my eye sight temporarily (thankfully). The day of the diagnosis I made an appointment with a surgeon. I say diabetes was the best-worst thing that happened to me to finally kick me into gear since I've been obese since childhood.

I had to go through 3 months of a diet for insurance and did so well that I thought of backing out near the end. I did that years ago with the Lapband (backed out after some dieting) but gained all that weight back and then some.

So, I guess to battle your nervousness, take note of your goals or fears of what obesity will do to you, your past (have diets failed you?) and do research. I read blogs, books, watched YouTube videos and shows like My 600lb Life to keep me motivated and to help with anxiety about it being my first ever surgery and being such a life change.

I would honestly worry if you weren't nervous. Who isn't nervous with a major life change?