Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am one week out and still on liquids (obviously), it hasn't been as hard as I expected just a bit boring! Anyway, I had a strange experience tonight, I am up really late and now I feel slightly hungry. Is that normal? Should I be feeling hunger this early? I decided to have 2oz of Protein Shake and about an 1oz of Jello because I do not want to go to bed feeling "hungry". Should I have done that or should I have not indulged the "hunger". I am still under 400 calories for the day so it's not a lot of food, but I just wanted to check in with you guys and see what you think. Ps: I have lost 4.2 lbs in the 6 days since my surgery!!!! So that's awesome!!!!

I experienced "hunger" within a few weeks of surgery, but I do believe mine was head hunger, not physical hunger. I notice that sometimes when I'm going through something emotional or stressful I will think I'm hungry, but I redirect myself into some other activity and it goes away eventually. The other thing that can make someone feel that way is stomach acid. I don't know what kind of hunger you are experiencing, and it is possible, although not likely, that it is real hunger. I would suggest taking a time out the next time you feel it and just let it be for a while. Check in with your emotions/stress level and see if there is something else making you want to eat. I still have to do this almost 6 months out. That was part of the beauty of the sleeve to me. It really has helped me to understand that my urges to eat were not all physical and through that, I've realized that food is not going to make my stress or difficult emotions any better. I hope you figure out what's going on for you :)

Edited by sweetie716

It could also be acid. Are you on any medication for acid? It mimics gnawing hunger pangs. I experienced it for a few months. It resolved on its own around 4 months.

You could be thirsty. Also you do not want to start a habit of eating a late snack like that. I think you did the right thing. It's a personal learning adventure, right? ????

When I think I am feeling hunger the first thing I do is drink. I am supposed to wait 15-30 minutes after drinking before eating so that gives me time to figure it out. Most of the time drinking something makes that hunger feeling pass.

It could also be acid. Are you on any medication for acid? It mimics gnawing hunger pangs. I experienced it for a few months. It resolved on its own around 4 months.

I am not on any prescribed medication for acid, but I do take a chewable generic form of Pepcid. Maybe it isn't strong enough?

Thanks guys. I will try all of your suggestions. I agree that I do not want to make a habit of late night snacking! Although, in my case right now it was more like a late night meal because I can only get down about 2oz of Protein in like 20-25mins, it's hard for me to get in all my protein because I can only fit so little. I have heard that sometime this "hungry" feeling goes away once you start eating solids and that it could just be a product of being on an all liquid diet. Have any of you heard that?

Yes, it could most definitely go away once you start eating solids and feel your true restriction kick in. If you eat and within an hour or two feel like you have gnawing hunger then it's most likely acid. You only need a prescription if you're actually having symptoms though. I had really bad heartburn for about two months. My doctor had me on Omeprazole but once I cut nitrates (processed meats) out of my diet it stopped. I still cannot eat any processed meats without ill effects.

I'm about one week out as well. I seem to be having the same issue. I feel hungry often. Sometimes it's just head hunger, but there are other times where it feels like gnawing hunger. I've always been under 500 cal a day, and have lost quite a bit of weight but I'm just wondering if the hungry feeling will go away. I think as the other suggestion is I'll try drinking more Water.< /p>

I'm about one week out as well. I seem to be having the same issue. I feel hungry often. Sometimes it's just head hunger, but there are other times where it feels like gnawing hunger. I've always been under 500 cal a day, and have lost quite a bit of weight but I'm just wondering if the hungry feeling will go away. I think as the other suggestion is I'll try drinking more Water.< /p>

Let me know how you do.

I felt the same way for about the first 10 days. I was on 20mg omeprazole twice a day, but still felt hungry all day and even waking during the night. Drinking a little juice or having some broth would help. All the sudden after 10 days or so it just stopped. I haven't felt like that since. (I was on full liquids for nearly a month, so it wasn't solids that made it stop)

I felt the same way for about the first 10 days. I was on 20mg omeprazole twice a day, but still felt hungry all day and even waking during the night. Drinking a little juice or having some broth would help. All the sudden after 10 days or so it just stopped. I haven't felt like that since. (I was on full liquids for nearly a month, so it wasn't solids that made it stop)

That's really interesting. You don't know why it stopped? How many calories do you get in a day, if you don't mind me asking.

My hunger has improved. But I also think my surgical pain has improved and I added antacid when I have the gnawing pain. And I've been drinking more fluids. (I'm 12 days post op)

I've been hungry on and off today and I'm only 72 hours out. I drank two 8 oz shakes (each took an hour) because it was my first allowable full liquid day. My surgeon says I can have thinned cream of Tomato Soup tonight and I plan on doing it! In three days I've lost 6 pounds and I was 33.0 BMI the day of surgery.