Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March check in and sweet addiction modifications

Hello all,

I was sleeved on 3/24/15 and what a journey it has been in just two short months. I went from the early stages of thinking "What the hell have I done to myself" to the dreaded three week stall, to testing out my pouch, finding out it is made of steel then falling off the wagon with sweets a few times. Another stall and now I am in kick ass mode and dropping weight like crazy!

I read these pages like they are my bible and have only posted a couple of times. I wanted to post about sweets and sugar because they are DEFINITELY my weakness and I apparently have no aversion to them post surgery. Also, being sleeved in March, I hit my 6 week sold food phase right when my daughter's birthday came, Mother's Day, my wedding anniversary, hubby's birthday and now coming up....my birthday.

So what have these events taught me....

1) I am a full blown sugar/sweets addict. This is an important realization because pre surgery, I was insulin resistant and on diabetes medication. My blood sugar would drop all the time so I had sweets around when this happened. Post surgery, I'm no longer on medication and my hypoglycemia is gone. So all that's left is my head addiction to sugar!

2) I can "fall off the wagon" but also get back on as often as I want. It is in my control. I prefer to be on the wagon in terms of carbs ad sweets!

3) I have to come up with a plan for celebrations because having left over cake in my house is a DISASTER!!!!

I did some research and found a bakery that makes gluten free AND sugar free cakes and the best part, they make bite size samplers (about 4-5 ounces). I went in and had a sample and it is really good! So for my upcoming birthday, everyone is getting a bite sized cake and the best thing, NO LEFT OVERS!!!!!

Just thought I would share some of my experiences as I know reading others' posts helps me out tremendously!

Edited by akreese02

I am exactly the same. I love sweets. I have found that I usually let myself have one day a week to have whatever I want. I still make sure I have my Protein. My day is usually on the weekend and I always make sure that when Monday comes I am back on the wagon. Last Monday I threw out half a coffee cake just so I wouldn't be tempted. I warn my kids/husband if it's something I am tempted with so they can eat it up. A few weeks ago I made chocolate chip Cookies and on that Monday I sent all of them to school with my youngest son.

During the week if I feel like I need a yummy fix I really like those Power Crunch Protein Bars. They taste like a cookie. I like the Mint Choc and Peanut Butter fudge. I keep them in the freezer. And they have a new salted carmel that is pretty tasty as well. I heard about these on this board. I buy the individual one's at Walmart for $1.48 to taste the one's I like and then buy a box on Amazon Prime. My friend Dave loves the Cookies and crème and he didn't even have WLS.

Would this bakery cake place be in Washington state by any chance? :)

I'm in Colorado but I would imagine as progressive as the NorthWest is with gluten free (like Colorado), you could find a similar bakery near you.

I used to love sweet i will go to parties just to eat the cake lol ... but now after surgery my taste buds changed to not liking sweets in a way is good so i can stay away but i do miss having a good tasting cake or candy now even the Protein is too sweet for me and thats why I'm still having an issue with it but is getting better everyday!! i was sleeved a day before you 3/23/15

great tips btw!!

I LOVE sweets. My sleeve hates them, lol. I love the bite size options because there is just enough that I can get the taste and enjoy it without being enough where my sleeve starts the puking process. I like cake pops at Starbucks, half a cookie from Panera, and sometimes the bakery at my grocery store has these little petite fours, and I will get two...which I'm sure the person in the bakery thinks is ridiculous, lol.

I would agree that we can still enjoy sweets and continue to lose weight.

Have u tried vegan Cookies from whole foods? I'm wondering if they good for our sleeve I've heard they taste amazing better than real cookies I might give them a try!

post-149873-14332903164669_thumb.jpg

Just found these at Natural Grocers. Only 9 carbs per cookie!