Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrible thirst after surgery

Since I can't have any liquids orally and am just on IV fluids until the leak test, I guess it makes sense that I would be terribly thirsty. But I haven't seen anyone else mention excessive thirst on here. Even when I wet my mouth with the swab I'm still horribly thirsty. All I think about is being able to drink. Anyone else feel this way? If so, does it go away when you finally are able to sip?

I also had this problem. I remember waking up repeatedly the first night in the hospital and counting the hours until I could have my leak test. The blue ice they give you after your leak test will help a lot. Once they give you actual Water to sip on, be careful that you don't go to fast because it might upset your new tummy. This will pass soon.

Congratulations on your surgery!

Edited by eyhornmom

I had the same problem it lasted like 5 days they did my leak test in surgery so I guess it could happen at any time!! It will get better

After surgery my mouth was as dry as a desert. I took Biotene mouthwash with me to the hospital to swish my mouth out with and since it is a moisturizing mouthwash that helped a lot. I continued to use it at home for the first week right before bed because my mouth would get so dry at night.

I remember being very thirsty the first week because it was difficult to get enough fluids in. I just kept sipping and by the end of the first week the dry mouth and thirst began to diminish.

Congrats on your surgery and welcome to the wonderful post op life!!

Brushing my teeth helped me. By this point you should be close to having your swallow test and assuming you pass that you will be able to drink. I found that tea and juice helped me the most that first day after surgery.

Yup. I had the same issue after brain surgery, gall bladder surgery and this surgery. It sucks like nothing you've ever experienced but the time will pass and you will get to drink again. It's easily the most miserable part of surgery IMO.

There is liquid at the end of the tunnel. I promise.

@@Jaimianna79

I had the most awful thirst too. It was like I had been walking around in the desert for weeks. I begged for a Water sponge. The nurses gave into my requests because I would not leave them alone about it. My tongue was sticking to the roof of my mouth when I tried talking and my lips were stuck to my gums. I guess you dont hear much about it cause it is a trauma that we just want to forget. deny,deny,deny...lol

My throat was really dry and I was thirsty too. When I brushed my teeth, I "gargled" with some Water and that helped a little bit. Biotene mouth spray helped too, but I had to spit it out. For some reason if I swallowed that little bit (nurse said it was okay as well as ice chips) I was a little nauseated. For me, the dry feeling and thirst got better on the 3rd day.

thirsty.

@@Jaimianna79

what you are going through is normal

doesn't help you to feel any better

my mouth was sooooo very dry, chapped :(

i DID feel like i was being tortured :(

Awful, awful feeling :angry:

i "begged" to get those blue swab things to use on my lips/mouth

it took them awhile to agree :angry:

you will get to drink in a month or two :huh:

GOTCHA!! :lol: :lol:

you'll be sipping away in a day or so ;)

when you are home remember how much you wanted Water in the hospital

you must drink, drink for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :)

take small sips slowly at home

drink as much as possible

if you are having any problems "enjoying" the water

try drinking room temp Water :)

chrystal lite

maybe a drop of lemon

Protein and water will always be essential

but drinking/water is more important :rolleyes:

if you don't drink enough you will get dehydrated :mellow:

trip to the hospital IV's :angry:

all that fun stuff :wacko:

BTW did i mention that water is very necessary ;)

good luck

kathy

Thank you so much, everyone! Glad that it's normal! They've been giving me IV fluids, but it does nothing for dry mouth! I had my fluoroscope this morning and it was fine, no leaks. But still they haven't put through the liquid orders. But it's ok...I have the mouth sponges and now I'm swallowing bits of the Water. It's heavenly!!!