Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I did it! I managed to keep a steady weight for all of my appointments. I played the insurance game while following my nutritionist and stayed exactly at a 40 BMI at 240 lbs. They submitted to my insurance and I have a date of May 26th! It seams so far!! Lol. I will be on my liquid diet for Memorial Day :(. But whatever, this is worth it! I am worth it! Which leads me to my little rant part. I don't post much but lurk often. While lurking I see a lot of "I cheated" "I can't stomach Protein shakes" "I can't drink water" "will I ever eat real food again" (after only a few weeks) I'm am not sorry to say this but it drives me absolutely INSANE! You are cheating yourself. No one else. I worked so hard to get here that seeing this makes me feel like this is all ungrateful unprepared fairly land crap! I just want to scream at them Did you do ANY research? Why even get the surgery if you won't keep working to make yourself a success? This is your health. You did it for your health. And by no means is a quick fix. If you don't like Protein Shakes oh well buttercup suck it up! You can't drink Water find a way to do it. Figure it out. I guess I just get mad that people don't love themselves enough to work at being a success but had the surgery anyway.

Holy judgmental lol. Congrats on your success, first of all. But I can't help but think the rant part of this post was completely pointless and inappropriate. Maybe the people who come here and post about their struggles and failures don't have a strong support system at home to talk to. Maybe they were under the impression that this was a safe and supportive place to come to discuss the hard times. Maybe they are feeling alone in this journey and just want to connect with someone and feel like they're not alone. Why do so many people on this forum have to knock other people down rather than lift them up?

I hate Protein shakes. 90% of them taste like crap. Does having that opinion and coming here to ask for advice on others to try, make me not love myself and want to succeed? No. And I don't even know how you arrived at that conclusion. Until you have seen one of these posters truly fail at losing or maintaining post-op, you have no right to assume they will fail.

I make mistakes and I will likely make mistakes after I've had surgery. But that doesn't mean I don't love myself or that I want to fail. I'm human. We all are. We all have strengths and weaknesses. I want to see everyone succeed with this surgery. I wish this forum could be a safe place to come and vent, rant, cry, share accomplishments and seek advice. Not be torn apart. Sometimes i think that maybe this isn't the right place for me. Most people are supportive and understanding but there are a few holier than thou types who are like a dark cloud on certain threads. And this post makes me believe that you're joining that club.

I guess I had a rant of my own.

Edited by majorsmama

I understand what your saying to a degree but it can be much harder on the other side. I didn't cheat but I had issues with Water it's not easy in the beginning for a lot of people and Protein can be an issue too. I can understand and relate to most of the post with people feeling frustrated especially in the beginning weeks. Just Reading that someone is having issues with Fluid and actually understanding what that's like is two different things. When you can only sip the smallest sips yet you have recommended amounts and pressure to not get dehydrated and end up back in the hospital it can be beyond stressful. You can research all you want but you have no clue how you personally will be affected by the recovery process. Protein can be another frustrating issue because you can love your Protein Drink during pre-op and after surgery your sleeve hates it and it makes you sick. Again most of us have protein recommendations we are trying to meet so when that happens you are stuck trying to find one that agrees with your new stomach but you can barley drink that can take a toll a person mentally and physically. So the "suck it up buttercup" Moto isn't going to work when your puking your guts out and becoming dehydrated in the process. As far as pre-op your talking about people who are use to eating way more than they should (Usually) so you knock the calories down to 1/4 of what's been "normal" for them. It's not easy either. Also who says they aren't "working" at it? You can be working your hardest and still be frustrated all to hell so this should be a safe place to come for advice. A lot of people are here because they are working hard and they feel discouraged at times. Maybe they just need some encouragement and validation that they are not alone. No one said it would be easy just hope you don't have any of these issues along the way. You may want to wait until you've actually walked the walk to pass any judgment or rant about something you really have never experienced because to us post -op this sounds ridiculous and your judgment calls are invalid. I hope you don't have any issues .Only time will tell.

Wishfullthinking:

So I did it! I managed to keep a steady weight for all of my appointments. I played the insurance game while following my nutritionist and stayed exactly at a 40 BMI at 240 lbs. They submitted to my insurance and I have a date of May 26th! It seams so far!! Lol. I will be on my liquid diet for Memorial Day :(. But whatever, this is worth it! I am worth it! Which leads me to my little rant part. I don't post much but lurk often. While lurking I see a lot of "I cheated" "I can't stomach Protein shakes" "I can't drink water" "will I ever eat real food again" (after only a few weeks) I'm am not sorry to say this but it drives me absolutely INSANE! You are cheating yourself. No one else. I worked so hard to get here that seeing this makes me feel like this is all ungrateful unprepared fairly land crap! I just want to scream at them Did you do ANY research? Why even get the surgery if you won't keep working to make yourself a success? This is your health. You did it for your health. And by no means is a quick fix. If you don't like Protein shakes oh well buttercup suck it up! You can't drink Water find a way to do it. Figure it out. I guess I just get mad that people don't love themselves enough to work at being a success but had the surgery anyway.

That's a mouthful of a "rant" for someone who is pre-op. ;)

I 'll look forward to reading more from you once you've gone through the process. :D

@@majorsmama completely pointless and inappropriate? I will agree to disagree on that. People can post about what they wish and I chose to, just like the people you are defending. Also I don't break them down. I don't post much as I said. I won't break them down on that post because I feel it would be pointless and borderline bullying. However I can choose to make my own and if my rant hurt some feelings I'm not sorry just as their posts angered me. And even in saying this I will admit that you have given me some pause. Maybe it's more my issue then theirs. I'll concede that.

@@Elode I thank you for your opinion. It gave me a lot of insight. For me this is do or die so maybe I'm sensitive. Like I said maybe this is my issue and like you pointed out I really won't know until I am there.

There you go!

@@LipstickLady yes it is. But it is also coming from a place of someone who has busted my butt just to get through my program. I have clawed and fought and overcome many hurdles to get where I am going. Maybe I feel like people should appreciate their gift more. I don't know but it bothers me. I have been given some insight in the last few comments that make me think maybe I should chill and be understanding. However the feeling is there.

@@LipstickLady yes it is. But it is also coming from a place of someone who has busted my butt just to get through my program. I have clawed and fought and overcome many hurdles to get where I am going.

I dare say that the majority of us have done the same. ;)

Oh I have no doubt. I'm just trying to explain my mindset and the reason why I might be sensitive. After speaking to my husband about some of the insight I have received he thinks that yall are right and that I tend to come here when I am frustrated in MY process and project in others. He thinks I am jealous. Actually called my behavior a jealous child who thinks their friend isn't testing their toy the way I would if I had it. Maybe. Maybe. But that's the good thing about posting to a vast audience. You get opinions you might not have though of. Maybe I should post more? Would I have had this much self reflection of I didn't post this as I usually don't?

AMAZINGLY judgmental, no matter how you try to rationalize your comments. You are not the only one who has worked hard.

Good luck to you and curious to hear how you feel on the other side.

I never said it wasn't. I'm working on it. Let's move on shall we. :)

Edited by Wishfull.shrinking

I never said it wasn't. I'm working on it. Let's move on shall we. :)

Funny thing about internet forums, you can't just change the subject or tell people to drop it if you don't care for the answers you are getting.

I think you were very open and honest to share your feelings and that's not a bad thing at all. In turn, people are sharing their experience and opinions on your words. That's also not a bad thing. :)

No but as I have already said, I get it. Anything now is just trying to beat a dead horse. It's not trying to change a subject. I didn't start any other. It's knowing when to stop and leave well enough alone