Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had surgeries before and was told not to drink from a straw immediately post-op b/c it causes air swallowing, leading to more gas. I assume this will be true right after surgery (bypass in my case). But what about later on? I really rely on a straw in a water bottle to get all my Water in. I just don't tend to sip nearly as much when drinking directly from a bottle or glass.

Just had this talk with my doctor today actually. She said no straws for the first few weeks to prevent sucking in too much air. She didn't say specifically how long though, but she didn't suggest it was a permanent change to make.

I was never told not to....but then again I rarely use a straw except maybe while driving...

I'm 5 month post op, I use straws on occasion, I'm still alive :)

Never ever ever. And that's a quote. Apparently serious damage can result from it, not to mention the gas that it puts in your sleeve, which can take up the space that food should be in.

Never ever ever. And that's a quote. Apparently serious damage can result from it, not to mention the gas that it puts in your sleeve, which can take up the space that food should be in.

I must possess mad superhero straw skillz yo, because I have been using a straw since my first week post op, I've cause no "serious damage" (or ANY damage for that matter), I don't suck in any air (that's where the mad skillz yo come in) and I get down a lot more fluids than I would without.

I am a straw user and my doctor isn't even mad about it.

I can see during the first few weeks but why couldn't you down the road when your pouch is healed? It doesn't seem to make any sense to me how it can hurt you after your healed.....

Thanks, I am very relieved. I don't mind giving up my straw for a week or two right after surgery. But long term I was concerned b/c I just don't drink enough by sipping. I guess I could change that habit but I have enough other things to work on LOL!

Also, my new favorite Water bottle is the Brita bottle. Our Water around here is very hard and over chlorinated and tastes awful from the tap. I always filled my previous bottles from a Brita pitcher. but now I have their water bottle, and the best part is it holds 32 oz, so all I have to do is fill it twice to get 64 oz in a day. But it has a straw b/c that's where the filter is.

My nutritionist said it was fine after 2 months. I like my Water with Ice and a straw. I drink it much faster and more often. I am 5 months out and doing great.

~LA

I use a straw and am 5 weeks out. I started about 2 weeks post op. For some reason I can get more fluids down with a straw than without

I struggle getting the Water in. I have been using straws, because it started to drive me crazy taking the lids on and off the Water bottle 100 times a day. My NUT said to see if I started to noticing any problems with it, and, if not, go ahead.

@@lclemur

Have you tried using the Water Enhancer drops? As I still struggle with fluids, I mentioned this to my NUT the last time I saw her. She suggested using the drops for all my Water consumption, and said it tends to make it easier to get he fluids in.....and guess what? She was right! For some unknown reason, I am now able to drink waaayyyyyy more than without the stuff. So, I believe, I am the SOLE reason these companies are in business, because I buy the stuff by the boatload! It's nice to be able to adjust the sweetness level, not to mention the flavor options (which I am now mixing to make my own favorites!). Have fun with it!

I haven't tried the Water Enhancer drops but i make a pitcher of sugar-free lemonade according to directions (storebrand) and then I put one oz of that in my 32 oz Water bottle, fill rest with water. just enough sweetness for me without being overloaded or giving me any problems with the artificial sweeteners, since it's so diluted. I usually do that for one 32 oz bottle/day, then have the other plain.