Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed in post-op loss so far

I've been in a down place the past two weeks regarding my weight loss after having the sleeve on January 21st. I knew that when I lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks of my liquid diet that there was no way I'd keep that pace up and I was okay with that. I was frustrated when the dreaded stall hit during weeks 3-5 and I watched my scale act like it was frozen.

To be specific, I lost close to 20 lbs during my insurance-mandated 6 months of supervised nutrition and weighted in at 211 the morning of surgery. I dropped into one-derland about 15 days after being sleeved. When the stall hit, I was frozen around 195-96 for weeks 3 through 5.

Just at the start of week six, the scale started to move again and now, at 7.5 weeks, I'm around 189.

On one hand, I know I haven't been this weight since I started high school. However, on the other hand, I'm disappointed and frankly, upset that I'm coming up on two months post surgery and I'll have lost only 20 pounds. I'm waiting for my doctor to clear me for the gym, but it's disheartening that it's going THIS slow when I'm following all my guidelines (my bloodwork looked great, save for a Vitamin D deficiency my doc suspects I had before the sleeve anyway) and it just seems to be pouring off for everyone else.

Does anyone have any advice? Or go through something similar? I'm just really frustrated and upset with where I am right now.

Edited by Jewelgirl04

The lower your BMI the slower the weight loss. Here are my words to you...one you ONLY lost 20lbs in your 6 month mandated diet and in two weeks you ONLY lost 20lbs? I think that is a great loss and even though we all go through these stalls I've had two so far which added up to a MONTH of no weight loss, you will lose again. Up your Protein change up your workout and just be patient. So frustrating I know I cried a couple of days. I wouldn't change anything though. Also...two you might not be losing weight but check those inches. While I didn't lose lbs I did lose 17inches! Whip out that measuring tape and enjoy this journey. GOOD LUCK!

Get over it! You didn't put this weight on in a few months, why do you think you'd lose it that fast? You weigh the same as you did in high school for shit's sake! You have been given one of the greatest opportunities of your life and you are whining about it?!? Not sure what kind of expectations you had, but you may want to re evaluate and learn how to be happy with any loss. No one is immune from stalls, and this was just the first of many.

Just as a comparison, I had lost 17 pounds in the first 7 weeks postop and I was thrilled. Then I gained 3 pounds and sat there for a month. I was STILL thrilled because I knew I had a lifetime of losses and gains in front of me, but never would I be as fat as I once was. Just relax, be patient and enjoy the changes ahead, no matter how fast or slow they come.

Be patient, stick with your program and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck & stay focused.

omg only 20lbs!i have averaged a 10lb weight loss a month.i now am 5 months post op and 50 lbs lighter.when was the last time I did that????2 to 3 lbs a week is a healthy above average weight loss.

Adding to the chorus; you've done more these past few weeks than you ever have in a very long time. Secondly, STEP AWAY FROM THE scale. It will only make you crazy. Your doctor hasn't cleared you to exercise, but are you walking for at least 30 minutes a day? Are you getting all your water/fluids in? Hitting your Protein goals? Relax and stay the course, this is not a race, this is a lifelong challenge.

I would like to say the following:

I too am struggling. I am 4 weeks out, have lost 12-13 lbs and am DOING EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN TOLD.....TO THE LETTER. It is EXTREMELY frustrating, as this is about what could be expected with a 1200-1500 kcal diet, minus the surgery. i have overheard people who know i have had the surgery say "I thought the weight was supposed to come off fast at first." I cannot tell you how this makes me feel. Yes, i can actually.....like a failure AGAIN with regards to my weight.

So.....for those of you who feel the need to scold those of us in a different part of their journey and feeling worried, vulnerable and (i'm speaking for myself here)....somewhat of a failure.....Please refrain. We could use some words of gentle encouragement and support rather than a slap.

This is supposed to be supportive, is it not????

I would like to say the following:

I too am struggling. I am 4 weeks out, have lost 12-13 lbs and am DOING EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN TOLD.....TO THE LETTER. It is EXTREMELY frustrating, as this is about what could be expected with a 1200-1500 kcal diet, minus the surgery. i have overheard people who know i have had the surgery say "I thought the weight was supposed to come off fast at first." I cannot tell you how this makes me feel. Yes, i can actually.....like a failure AGAIN with regards to my weight.

So.....for those of you who feel the need to scold those of us in a different part of their journey and feeling worried, vulnerable and (i'm speaking for myself here)....somewhat of a failure.....Please refrain. We could use some words of gentle encouragement and support rather than a slap.

This is supposed to be supportive, is it not????

You are doing everything you are supposed to AND you are losing weight. I don't see the problem? As for being in a different part of the journey, you are right, I am 15 months out, but I have been where you are and I'm just saying you are making yourselves miserable for no reason. You've actually lost more than I had at 4 weeks out but I celebrated every pound I lost as a success. You see your loss as a failure. The only difference is perspective.

My biggest advice has always been "stay off the scale, get in all your Protein, Water and Vitamins and don't overeat. Enjoy the NSV's". This can be the best time of your life or you can stress and be miserable. The choice is yours.

I'm only 3 months out and can tell you to be patient. I literally wrote the same things and was worried like you that I was "failing". I hit a 21 day stall and to say I panicked is an understatement. I am currently just shy of 50 lbs. it will come off. Trust me. Maybe not as fast as you would like but it will come off. I just keep plugging away. Getting to the gym and tracking my food daily.

I can tell you I am in jeans that I haven't worn in 4 years and have lost over 7 inches from my hips and waist each. I try to remember those things are just as important as the scale.

We have all been where you are and a lot of us felt / feel the same way so know that what you are feeling is normal. I hope just knowing that makes you feel a little better. Stick with it! You are doing great.

Thank you to everyone who was supportive in their comments. @@hockeydog, thank you so much for chiming in and letting me know that I'm not alone. I think it's also so frustrating for me because I tried to reach out to a few people who had undergone the sleeve before I did and were similar in age and stature to me. It seems as though the lot of them had reached their goal weight within 3-4 months and that just seems unattainable to me. I'm just worried about being atypically slow more than anything. I'm afraid that it'll be like it was before where I was super strict and did everything I should and would barely see the scale move.

And to agree with hockeydog here, @@Kindle, while I appreciate your advice to relax and be patient, I do not appreciate being lectured, told to get over it, and called a whiner. I posted here for support and understanding, not to deal with belligerent responses.

I've only been here for a few months but I gotta tell you, Kindle's posts are some of the kindest, supportive, tough love posts on this forum. Her response was absolutely not belligerent, it was matter of fact. I think she is just trying to tell you to relax and ENJOY the journey. Don't stress out over it. We all question whether this is going to work for us. Most of us have been on every diet known to man, yet we failed. With this surgery and your determination, you are not going to fail. Be kind to yourself, be patient with yourself and Celebrate every small victory.

Today, I was feeling a bit frustrated with my stall. So you know what I did? I cleaned out my closet. Took me hours. I tried on every piece of clothing in there and you would not believe the clothes I have in bags for donation! I feel fabulous right now. I found my waist, my hips are smaller, my legs are smaller. I was looking in the mirror while trying things on and am absolutely amazed at how I have changed. Get in the closet, girl. That'll perk you up!

@@onmywaytoonederland don't worry about it...I'm not. I just need to learn to stay away from these posts. I obviously don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Sounds like you are doing great....and have a good attitude, which is crucial. Getting rid of clothes was one of my favorite things to do. It really solidified the fact that losing weight this time was for good and not just another "diet". Good luck to you!

Honestly I'm not seeing any scolding or lecturing. I sometimes wonder if some of the newer folks think they are the absolute only person who has felt this way. My advice? Do a search on the forums. I can assure you, you are not. We are trying to give honest and practical advice, not hand hold and coddle. No one is trying to hurt feelings, but we are trying to give realistic advice. FYI - For sleeves the weight loss is not as super fast as bypass patients, so whoever gave you that info is incorrect.

Bottom line; relax and enjoy the journey.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I gained 8 pounds after surgery, yes 8 pounds and they didn't come off for two weeks. Don't compare yourself to others, we are all different. Some lose 1/2 pound per day consistently. I lose nothing, nothing, nothing then BAM 5 pounds. Just hang in there.

It seems as though the lot of them had reached their goal weight within 3-4 months and that just seems unattainable to me.

I lost 60 pounds prior to surgery and had a 31 BMI and I never even had a thought to when I would reach goal let alone reaching goal at 3-4 months PostOp. I would suggest that you spend more time on these boards to see how long on avg it takes to reach goal. That may help modify your expectations to be more realistic & loosen some of the self imposed pressure of losing x amount of weight by x amount of time.