Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2.5 Months Out & FAIL

So I had a weekend of being BAD in New Orleans. ???? I have lost 51 pounds since pre-op and ahead of goal. Last Wed. I flew into NO with hubs and OMG. I didn't eat as bad as I would pre-surgery by no means. BUT I didn't make the best choices either. Bloody Mary's, butter laden crab claws, and a 1/2 a beignet. I know, I'm going to hell right?? Lol No, would just love to hear from some of the vets that might have had the same lapse and was able to get right back on goal.

Oh and for the pre-ops that want to know about eating post-op. Yes, for some you'll be able to eat what you want without getting sick. But no where near as much and alcohol doesn't have any different effect on me than before. I skipped the sugary mixes and drank straight liquor.

I'm just following this thread since I'm about to spend a long weekend in Orlando, lol. Glad you had a good time!

This is for the rest of your life. Once in a while you gotta let your hair down and have a good time, right? Don't beat yourself up! Just get back on track, drink lots of Water to cleanse your system and smile when you remember what a good time you had :)

And butter laden crab claws is something I have all the time, and I'm still losing ;)

Sorry to be so blunt: But the surgeon performed surgery on your STOMACH not your BRAIN.

It is YOUR choice to do what is right and make the good choices. Has nothing to do with the SURGERY. The SURGERY was a TOOL to help you LOOSE weight. If you stretch it back to the size it was before .... YOU did it.....no one else.

Your stomach has stretchy cells, which means you were given a second chance to make YOU want you want to be. It is able to go right back to where it was before. It is a BABY stomach, you push too much food in it , you become a bigger size. Then you will blame everyone but yourself.

AGAIN...........STOMACH HAD SURGERY.............NOT YOUR BRAIN..............

I am 3 years post op and I travel and surely eat "crazy bad foods" sometimes.

Here are my thoughts - take it or leave it - I think that when you do a vacation trip it is MOST important to keep portions small and to not graze. So have that butter laden whatever, but just a tiny bit. don't let yourself munch and snack all day - eat enough to be satiated, eat those 4-5 mini meals (or whatever your program calls for). reason I say this is that you really haven't gone off your routine or caused long term problems, you are just eating higher calorie/higher carb food for a few days and it is much easier to go back to your routine once you get home. If you let yourself "stuff yourself" you will be hungrier and it might be harder to get back on track immediately.

I also try to stay really active on vacation and stay away from "food oriented" vacations. March last year I spent 8-9 days in Mexico, I actually lost weight even though I had been at goal for a year already.

when I drink, I stay away from sugary mixers.

So, this applies probably more to people who have alot to lose. I was determined to get to goal, but had to lose over 150# to do it. what I knew is that the honeymoon periond only lasts "so long" so I didn't drink, didn't go eating junky food and really didn't allow myself food vacations until after getting to goal. I realize this isn't for everyone, but in my case, it was something that was very important to me. That first year post op wasn't filled with fun and frolic for me, it was filled with disciplined eating and exercise. I only share this - not as any kind of judgement - but so that newbies reading this don't think that I lost that kind of weight in that time frame any other way - reality check.

okay, and I have to say this - not targeted to original poster, but just in general. That period, maybe 5-8 months post op it is easy to get a little cocky. The losses are coming easy, you can't imagine how anyone could ever NOT lose weight post sleeve... la dee da... life is good! Warning, it does get harder in some ways and i genuinely believe that this window during the first few months, certainly first 6-12 months, you are laying down basic habits and priorities that will set your course down the road. It is never too late to change, but you might be surprised how many people come back to these forums, 2-3 years post op disappointed that they never quite made goal and have started regaining... lots of reasons that happens, but one of them is that slippery slide back to old ways. So, I do encourage people to think about vacations, trips, family reunions, parties etc in terms of "what do I need to do right now" and "how will this fit in with my life for the long term"?

I suggest that my way of handling (stay with basic program "eat small mini meals, Protein first etc, but eat lobster..haha) addressed both reasonably well.

My point is that NONE of us are going to be 100% perfect in our eating all the time. For goodness sake, we have to LIVE. So you go on vacation and overdo it a little? Get back on track the next day. Just because you break one plate unloading the dishwasher, doesn't mean you have to break the rest along with it.....

I know I'm a noob and in the "honeymoon" period of my surgery. But I'm also looking at this long term. If, ONCE IN A WHILE, I let my hair down a little and have a good time, I'm going to try to make sure I'm getting right back on track as soon as possible.I KNOW it gets harder as time goes on. But if I'm making good choices 95% of the time, I know I have a chance of keeping the weight off. I don't know. Maybe some of you can bookmark this thread and throw it in my face in a year or two when I'm struggling with maintenance, lol. I only know what I know NOW.

UGH. Sometimes the holier than thou attitudes on here are too much.

Edited by Babbs

Yes, butter isn't the best thing for you, but to be honest? lobster is extremely high in Protein. You're going to have less than perfect days - everyone is. would be much more worried about the quantity of what you ate than what you ate. the feeling of "well I fell off the wagon, I'm a failure" is why many of us were heavy enough that we had to go the surgical route in the first place. Sure, you had a bad day. know what? you're going to have another one eventually.

Following this post. I will be 4 months post op when my entire family takes a dream trip to Disney on the deluxe meal plan. I have about 70lbs to lose total and hope to have at least half gone by then. I appreciate any and all advice. I don't want to be a bummer on the trip.

Sorry to be so blunt: But the surgeon performed surgery on your STOMACH not your BRAIN.

It is YOUR choice to do what is right and make the good choices. Has nothing to do with the SURGERY. The SURGERY was a TOOL to help you LOOSE weight. If you stretch it back to the size it was before .... YOU did it.....no one else.

Your stomach has stretchy cells, which means you were given a second chance to make YOU want you want to be. It is able to go right back to where it was before. It is a BABY stomach, you push too much food in it , you become a bigger size. Then you will blame everyone but yourself.

AGAIN...........STOMACH HAD SURGERY.............NOT YOUR BRAIN..............

Ahhhh @tauruslady5...

I knew someone would have to throw their smartas* comment in to be an a**hole. But hey, I like smarta**es and a**holes alike.

So to reply to you... I'm glad they fixed your brain at the same time and made you diet superwoman. I mean surely you weren't perfect before and that's the reason you had to have the surgery in the first place. I'm also sure you're the first one now to point out the fat a**es since you've lost all your weight AND doing it perfectly. Fabulous for you, Hun. Keep being your supportive self!'

Much love!! ????

@Babbs. Thank you for your post!! Sometimes I feel like if I don't do everything perfect I'll fail. Thanks for

being real!! And we had a blast!! First Mardi Gras parade of the year!!

Edited by Thenewnic

@@CowgirlJane Thank you so much for your reply. I agree that VSG'ers need to try and stay away from "food vacations" because you're entirely right about that first year!!

@@amyecpa, That's exactly why I followed this, too - I'm going for a friend's graduation, and we're going to be out at the places she wants to go. I like the comfort of knowing that a couple of days of not doing such a great job doesn't mean the whole thing is shot! food is part of life. It doesn't have to be my focus like it used to be, but I don't want to be afraid of it either!

@@amyecpa I want to go on a Disney Cruise..lol You'll have so much fun!! Lots of Protein options and I'll let you know how getting back on the wagon goes. Have a great time!!