Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics... Anyone have any suggestions?

I have only lost 200 pounds with another 40lbs to go but I am having a panni on Wednesday... Any suggestions on how to get through this with as little drama as possible? They say to wear loose clothing and have lots of protein... How long was your recovery? I cant imagine staying out for 6 weeks I think I will be bored. Yes I say only 200 lbs because I am still over weight and I seem to be stuck. I plan to go back to basics TODAY. Also having an umbilical hernia repair as well... Anybody have any suggestions?

Edited by Gina1010

I had an extended Tummy Tuck in 2011 and it didn't go super well for me. My results are amazing, but I had this situation where I had a LOT of swelling of the soft tissue in my lower back. It should be less of a concern for you, since you are only having a panni. My incision for my tummy tuck went almost all the way around my body, leaving only a couple inch gap above my butt crack. Because that was the only place my lymphatic channels weren't severed, ALL of the Fluid in my body only had that small area to travel through and so it collected in my lower back. It was very painful and uncomfortable and lasted several months, until new channels were established. I was supposed to be out of work for 4 weeks. I ended up being out much longer and only working half days for a long time after that.

Since you are only having a panni and your incision should only span across your stomach, not around your back, you shouldn't have that issue. The other major source of pain for me early on was in my abs, because of the muscle repair that is done with a tummy tuck. Again, since you are only doing a panni, that shouldn't be a concern for you. Good luck! I don't see why you would need 6 weeks off work. Four seems more than adequate for what you are doing, barring any complications.

Thanks Jamielogical. Glad you're OK now.

Thanks

Edited by Gina1010

Thanks still so far to go but thank you

Good luck tomorrow! Keep us posted on your progress!

I had a lower body lift and while it was a slow recovery I had no real problem or complications. Rest, good nutrition and hydration. ..Netflix is your friend. Good.luck!!

I had a paniculectomy on 12/23/14. They moved my bellybutton back up at the same time. I didn't have any abdominal plication or hernia repair but my recovery has been pretty great. My incision is pretty long - from the outside of one hip to the outside of the other hip (180 degrees around me). It dips down pretty low in the front because he got rid of my c-section scar. I'm 6 weeks out, today.

I went in at 6:30am and was leaving the surgery center around 12:30pm, same day. We stayed in a hotel over night because I had to be back at 8am the next day. I was up and used the bathroom before I left the surgical center. The hotel was fine. I propped myself up with pillows at my back and under my knees. I took my pain meds and just killed time watching TV, chatting with my mom and reading. I'd suggest to have lots to read and watch on TV for a week or two.

I wore loose sweats and a comfy pull-over sweater. I had two drains that exited out of the sides of my hips at the ends of the incision. They put a waist binder on me and the drain bulbs went into little "cozies" that velcroed to the binder. My drains were in until the next Monday morning when both the drains and belly button stitches came out.

The first week with the drains is the worst and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was up and around walking pretty easily right away. I got off the pain meds and muscle relaxers on the second day home. I think the pain meds are as much to help keep you sleepy as they are for the pain but I don't like what they do to my GI so I get off them as fast as I can.

Do plan on sleeping propped up or in an easy chair that reclines easily (or you'll need help) for a while. I'm a side sleeper so I slept in the chair for a few weeks. Because my incisions went all the way out onto my sides it took a few weeks of healing before I could sleep on them and I have a pretty comfy memory-foam bed topper.

I'm still wearing shape-ware. I have a few spankx tops that I wear during the day most of the time. I also bought a two pack of bali firm support underpants that go up quite high on the waist. I found those at Macy's and they've been the best. I'd suggest you stick with the velcro binder they put you in for the first couple weeks at least. It's very firm support.

I see the surgeon again, probably for the last time this Thursday afternoon. He released me to drive and work at 4 weeks although I must admit, I'd been driving a little since about 2.5 weeks out. I'm back to my distance walking on the weekends, although a little slower. My incisions are healing nicely and I'm very happy with the results.

Good luck to you!

I too also had a panni 12/05/2013 and I also had a hernia remove. I must admit I have had plenty of surgeries so I knew just how to take it but most diff different from my other ones. It was a very tight feeling with u having to wear that binder till your first visit. Yes those drains was so irratated pulling on my vagina uggh ouch..... I was up walking the very same day being in fear ot blood clots so I walked my upstaits hallway. Hate pain pills so I didnt take many. He took seven plds off of me left me at 190 sadly I gain almost 50 plds back I feel so ashame with all the hard work I put in to get from 316plds... But I hope everythings goes well with your surgery and good and may u have a speedy recovery.