Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

!!!Help Post-Op Diet!!!

:help: :help: :help: Ok So I have surfed through the food threads trying to find this out but I can't. So I was banded on May 23rd. So far I have been having lots of Propel and Special K Protein Water and the fabulous Slim Fast with Protein we have all coem to love. However. I am REALLY confused on what counts as liquids and what counts as mushies. Two things I have been doing that I'm not sure if it is ok or not.

I have a magic bullet so I mixed half a can of bean and baccon Soup with water and made it thin with no clumps what so ever. Went down great and was full of protein and was yummy! Also I took soem mashed potatoes with low fat cheese and milk to make a thin potato soup. I also did this with Taco Times White chicken Chile, again I could drink these Soups through a straw but they are not clear. I beleive they go down ok, but I'm not sure what is a godo sign and what is a bad sign. I feel very full off of a small portion of these blended soups, however I do't want to stretch my pouch or anything. So if someoen could PLEASE share your thoughts or advice. The only thing thats different is when I dirnk water it goes down fine...when I eat the soup I feel like Ihave to burp more, this also could be cause of the gas they put in you, I relaly don't know. Will some one please xpalin to me exactly what liquid stage and mushy stage really means? My DR was very vauge and I just NEED to know that I'm not hurting myself in anyway.

Help?

-Audrey

Are you supposed to be on Clear Liquids or just liquids? Clear liquids are obviously things you can see through. Water, diluted juice, clear protien drinks, sugar free Jello are all clear liquids. Full liquids are anything you can drink through a straw. So that would be your Soups, protien shakes, etc. My Dr. also included cottage cheese and sugar free pudding in the full liquid stage. Just make sure to take it slowly and let your body heal. Try not to drink more than a half a cup of liquids at a sitting. If you feel full stop eating. Mushy things are things that have more of a mashed potato consistancy. They are like full liquids but thicker, thick enough that you could not drink it through a straw.

Clear liquids means CLEAR liquids.....sounds like you are rushing things! You have to have time to heal! Avoid the spicey things for a while even when you get to the next stages. Don't damage yourself while you are healing!!

Some clear liquids suggestions:

Water

Crystal Light or sugar free Kool Aid -(use more Water than usual)

sugar free Jell-O

Herbal tea, Celestial Seasonings tea (warm drink are very soothing)

Sugar Free Popsicles

broth or Boullion, heat then blend in a spoonful of Any Whey**

New whey Protein Bullets are clear and come in varied flavors...., Grape, Orange, Punch, etc

nectar brand Protein is clear, thin, tastes like fruit juice (blend into kookaid or chrystal light).

Full liquids are such things as:

plain yogurt or light yogurt without added sugar or fruit pieces

skim milk

sugar free pudding (homemade or protein pudding)

sugar free Jello

potatoes pureed in broth

thin cream of wheat or cream of rice

thin, blenderized creamed Soups

Tomato juice or V-8

Mushies/Soft Stage or Puree food suggestions:

Protein helps with wound healing, muscle and skin re-growth, and repair, creating fullness or satiety, as well as preventing hair loss. Every meal and snack should have a good source of protein in it. The purée diet includes the foods you have already been using plus very soft foods like:

soft scrambled eggs

low-fat cheese, mozzarella 'string cheese' sticks

low fat small curd cottage cheese

part skim ricotta cheese

poached fish filets mashed with a little of the cooking liquid

small amounts of mashed banana for flavoring

sugar free applesauce

pureed canned Beans such as pinto or black Beans

refried beans

Clear liquids means CLEAR liquids.....sounds like you are rushing things! You have to have time to heal! Avoid the spicey things for a while even when you get to the next stages. Don't damage yourself while you are healing!!

Some clear liquids suggestions:

Water

Crystal Light or sugar free Kool Aid -(use more Water than usual)

sugar free Jell-O

Herbal tea, Celestial Seasonings tea (warm drink are very soothing)

Sugar Free Popsicles

broth or Boullion, heat then blend in a spoonful of Any Whey**

New Whey Protein Bullets are clear and come in varied flavors...., Grape, Orange, Punch, etc

nectar brand Protein is clear, thin, tastes like fruit juice (blend into kookaid or chrystal light).

Full liquids are such things as:

plain yogurt or light yogurt without added sugar or fruit pieces

skim milk

sugar free pudding (homemade or protein pudding)

sugar free Jello

potatoes pureed in broth

thin cream of wheat or cream of rice

thin, blenderized creamed Soups

Tomato juice or V-8

Mushies/Soft Stage or Puree food suggestions:

Protein helps with wound healing, muscle and skin re-growth, and repair, creating fullness or satiety, as well as preventing hair loss. Every meal and snack should have a good source of protein in it. The purée diet includes the foods you have already been using plus very soft foods like:

soft scrambled eggs

low-fat cheese, mozzarella 'string cheese' sticks

low fat small curd cottage cheese

part skim ricotta cheese

poached fish filets mashed with a little of the cooking liquid

small amounts of mashed banana for flavoring

sugar free applesauce

pureed canned Beans such as pinto or black Beans

refried beans

Ohh goodness!! It sounds like I really am rushing things!!!

No wonder I have been feeling not so good. I appreciate all of your ideas! You have some great ones. I'm going to go back to clear liquids today and then in a week full liquids. Scary stuff and so much to learn! Thanks for your help!

I was to be on clear liquids the first 48 hours, and then soft foods. Regular liquid is anything you could suck through a straw (BUT DON'T!).

I rushed things too. I wish I would have not done it. Because I was scared until I had first fill.

Audry, I was banded on May 24th. My Dr has me on thick liquids for the next 5 weeks. Thats following 3 days of clear liquids. Dr Cribbins was very adament about how important it is NOT to stretch the stomach during the healing process. The list above is a great one. Im surprised your Dr didnt give you a list. I got one from the Dr and one from the nutritionist. I am also self pay and mine came with 1 year of fills,nutritionilist, and support group. All things I will need. One of my favs for thick liquid has been Organic Tomato Soup with Beneprotien mixed in. I think Soups are fine as long as they arent to thick...The things you are making sound great. You should put them on the recipe thread...Good luck...

Can anyone tell me :help::help:how to get a ticker? Its cool to be able to keep up with everyones weight loss.

hello, i was also banded on the 23 of may and new to this site. I must say that iam a little jelious. i live in NY and i have only had water(plain) and crystal lite for 6 days.nothing else and iam starving. My doctor told me no carbs...no sugar....no nothing. iam ready to start the shake fase today and that last for 2 weeks. then i get mushies. i have no idea about if u are doing is right.....but ask your doctor before u try anything. btw the mashed pots Soup sounded soooooo good.! thanks your band buddie Care

I feel much better now that I backed off a bit. I'm only having liquidy food (chicken noodle pureed)... or apple sauce, but only twice a day. I think he was pushing the food too soon for me. Plus, I got gas-x and that helped.

Thanks for all your help!

I decided to just to liquids for a two more weeks, I am scared to death I will stretch my pouch! After $17,000 that's not something I want to happen. I have lost 12 pounds so far! So stoked. Can't seem to figure out how to change that on my ticker I guess I'll just make a new one. Also the potatoe Soup is sooo good. Yes, it's thin but so yummy. I took premade mashed potatoes...refridgerated ones and put them in my magib bullet with milk and lowfat cheese, blended and then microwaved. Was delish! Buuuut. I won't be having that for a while. Oh well. =/

I wonder why so many DR have different post -op diets if the goal is to not stretch your pouch?