Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relaxation Techniques for Anxiety/Stress/Insomnia ?

Hello!

I deal with anxiety and stress disorders and one thing I talk to my therapist about with a lot is finding techniques for relaxing. There is deep breathing, muscle relaxation, walking.... What are some of your favorite, non-medicated, ways to relax and reduce anxiety/stress?

I also deal with insomnia, have you found techniques that have helped you master it?

For me, breathing slowly and deeply helps.

For insomnia, stop looking at TV or computer screens for 2 hours before going to bed, sit in bed and read for a little while to slow down.

Edited by BeagleLover

Same here. Depression PLUS insomnia and terrible, terrible anxiety.

Admittedly, I take medications because for the time being it is the catalyst that helps me gain control.

But at the end of the day I try to keep in mind that when its all said and done is it better to be happy or better to be sad? Once I understood what happy really meant, I choose happy and I find I stress a lot less.

I am an agnostic but there is a saying that goes something like, "no weapon forged against thee shall prosper" (Isaiah, I think.) I use that as a mantra when anxiety kicks in. I guess that's CBT? Anyway, the weapons are anxiety and stress and depression so I try to picture myself using a Jedi mind trick to make those weapons benign. ;)

Edited by tomi71

Listen to music, take a warm bath, or pet an animal to help with anxiety.... For insomnia try not to nap during the day, limit caffeine to morning hours, limit stimuli before bed, and try to develop a bedtime routine of some sort. When you do the same things each night it triggers your brain that it is time to sleep. Sorry you're struggling... hope you feel better soon!

Search relaxation on YouTube. I listen to motivational recordings on my lunch hour at work. I use a headset instead of earbuds.

I use an app for meditation, called Take A Break. Also, there is another app that is self hypnosis. They have different ones including one for anxiety. Lastly Yoga always calms me & again, there's a fabulous app for that, called Yoga Studio. Hope this helps :)

I love yoga. A few simple poses and some good clean deep breaths and WOW I am back to center in about 15 minutes. I love this quick smooth way to be brought back into focus.

Edited by Jugido64

My recommendations:

1. For stress and insomnia...Do you have a good man? Sex is good. :-) Great stress reliever. Good exercise: if done right, you can burn 200 calories and you'll get a good night's sleep.

2.To decrease anxiety, I recommend books that encourage calm: Some of my favorites:

The Wonders of Solitude [Dale (somebody); blue cover...]

How to Sit [Thich Nhat...]

A Manual for Living [Epictetus. A small little book that I often reread]

The Four Agreements

3. For sleep, I sometimes drink hot chocolate: ~ 6 oz. skim milk with unsweetened high % cacao dark chocolate [NOT milk chocolate]. I add a sweet & low, drink it ~ 10:30. Most times when I do that, I'm out all night.

4. Step away from the tech devices, especially at night in your bedroom. The gadgets, emails, texts, will be there in the morning. They are NOT that important. Rest your mind.

5. Set boundaries. I have one lawyer-friend (in the central time zone) who loves to pontificate and b**** about everything. I've asked him to NOT call me after 9 PM my time, cuz I don't need to hear all that crap as I'm winding down my evening. he doesn't like it, but too bad.

6. If you have someone you need to cuss out...maybe do it :-). Also write. Journal. Write poetry, etc. Make audio journals. Sometimes hearing yourself back weeks/months later can help you see that some stuff you might worry about isn't even worth it.

7. Music. Dance. Listen. Feel. Move to it. Not this modern-day mess. But some old R&B, etc., with words and beats you can "feel."

Good luck.

Great thread! Thanks to OP for starting it.