Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for Surgery

I am new to this.

I am in Indianapolis, IN. Margaret Inman will be my surgeon.

I have my psychological evaluation completed, my insurance approval, and today I paid the deposit for the surgery. I will be scheduled for pre-op testing within the next day or so. I hope to have the surgery before the end of the February, and I am having the DS.

I know three people that had the same procedure I am having. Two did very well with it, one did not and ended up in a coma for 26 days, and then had to go to physical rehab for 60 days more. We found out later that his complications were caused by his lying about quitting smoking.

All three people have lost tremedous amounts of weight.

I am scared and excited at the same time.

So, I wanted to throw that out there.

@ Welcome to the group! Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Keep us updated!

Sounds pretty normal to me. :) I was nuts, excited, scared, anxious and hyper before my DS.

Edited by Postop

Postop, your before/after pictures are amazing! You don't even look like the same person. I had a different procedure than you did, but I'm hoping for just as a dramatic difference in my appearance. I have my fingers crossed. So far, I haven't had a fill yet in my band, but with my stomach plication, I can only "eat" (still on the liquid diet) about a cup of Soup before I feel full.

Gail, I've started my own post inquiring about this, but may I ask what exactly contributed to your friend being in a coma? Was it a result of smoking after he had surgery or before? I have recently quit smoking myself and am curious now how long I should wait to have the surgery. Good luck with yours!

Gail, I've started my own post inquiring about this, but may I ask what exactly contributed to your friend being in a coma? Was it a result of smoking after he had surgery or before? I have recently quit smoking myself and am curious now how long I should wait to have the surgery. Good luck with yours!

In the case of my uncle, he lied and said that he quit smoking, but hadn't quit. He had a cigarette just an hour or two before surgery. This affected his oxygen levels and caused his to aspirate into his lungs during the surgery.

I quit smoking in March in anticipation of the surgery and my surgeon says that I will be just fine.

Welcome and congratulations!!

I was scared too, but it really was better than I expected.

One thing though: Don't go feeling so great that you forget that you had major surgery like I did. I was feeling so good I went out with some friends for a couple of hours at week 2 after surgery.... I got an upper respiratory infection and a fever.

Edited by toastedink

Hey, thanks. I'm sure you'll do it, too. :D

Postop, your before/after pictures are amazing! You don't even look like the same person. I had a different procedure than you did, but I'm hoping for just as a dramatic difference in my appearance. I have my fingers crossed. So far, I haven't had a fill yet in my band, but with my stomach plication, I can only "eat" (still on the liquid diet) about a cup of Soup before I feel full.

Small world, I am also having the DS surgery by Dr Inman on Feb 25 at St Vincent Carmel. :) When's your surgery date? I think she does one a week.

Very very small world.. My surgery is this coming Wednesday on the 11th!!

As far as nicotine every patient gets tested day of surgery .. My Dr Inman wanted to make damn sure I was aware of that lol..

No worries I vape using 0 nicotine in my juice..

I just got done with my dietician class and my head is spinning from all my meds I gotta take. Plus all the Vitamins and trying to drink a 100oz each day.. All of that with the stomach the size of a golf ball lol..

But with God and friends and family in my corner I can't fail!!

One thing makes me upset about Dr Inman was her saying in orientation that all the loose skin from weight loss is mainly a myth!! My weight lose group about fell out of their chairs when I told them all... She also said it to my wife who's about 5 weeks out from her operation.. And yes she was in a different orientation class as myself..

Anyways good luck fatties and here's to us all ????

I haven't got my surgery date yet. There was some concern about my white cell count when I did my pre-op testing so we had to wait 30 days and retest my blood.

If everything goes well, I will be in within the next 30 days.

For those of you that just had it, how are you?

I'm post op 1 month today and have lost 36 pounds!!

All is going great and no complications at all... If your Dr is Inman then you just hit the weight lose lottery..

Good luck and God bless!

I'm post op 1 month today and have lost 36 pounds!!

All is going great and no complications at all... If your Dr is Inman then you just hit the weight lose lottery..

Good luck and God bless!

Awesome!!! Keep me updated please.