Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days until surgery

Hi everyone! Happy holidays. I am due to have my surgery on December 29th.

I would like to know suggestion of things I should bring to the hospital and also what I should have at my house for the recovery time. I'm trying to make this process easy and be prepared. Please help. I'm trying not to have any shoulda coulda wouldn't lol. Thanks

Also recommendation for Vitamins and protien meals for the first week please.

Congrats. I will let you know by the third day you will be feeling like you made the wrong decision. You will get past that feeling. I have seen me plus many others go though this feeling.

When going to the hospital. Just wear sweats & sneakers (comfortable) and nothing more. They supply your toothbrush if you did not bring one. You will be in bed mostly anyways until they have you walk around.

As for when you come home, it is liquid diet for 2 weeks anyways. I did mostly broth, tried the Protein drink (i could not even fathom the taste). I also drank lots of Water. I even had one in my bed with me so when I woke up it was right there. I also would by cans of Soup and just drink the broth, nothing more. I did not do applesauce or yogurt just plain old liquids. I would also do Jello and pop cycles that were sugar-free.

My Vitamins were my synthroid, MVI and the Omeprazole they prescribed. I would have to open the Omeprazole and put the little tiny pills on a tsp of applesauce to swallow those tiny pills. (that was the only time I had food in my mouth).

The Protein Drink I do now is called Spiri-tein (has NO artificial sweetners and has a great taste).

Just relax and remember this is a tool to help you. The doctors are only operating on your stomach not your brain. It is up to you to make this work.

Annamarie

Good afternoon and happy holidays!

I'm not sure how long they plan on keeping you there, but a pair of slippers are good, you will be getting up to walk frequently. (Plus my feet are cold the slipper socks supplied didn't do the trick.) Also if you have a robe feel free to bring it, again you will be walking frequently and it's much easier to just throw something over your shoulders than to have to get tied up each time (request an extra gown if you don't have a robe no biggie.) When you go just wear comfy clothes, I packed extra undies for when I was leaving because well, I don't like that. Bring your phone and charger. Pretty much all I did was lay in bed and watch tv which was plenty entertainment for me, I kept nodding thanks to the wonderfully magnificent dilaudid they were giving me. Lots of people have problems with gas and recommend gas-x strips, but the antacid they were giving me in the hospital worked just fine. As far as when you get home, find a Protein shake you like. Some people really like Isopure, I couldn't stomach it. I prefer Pure Protein or Premier. The first few days I really only was able to have a Protein Shake and Water. But broth, diluted no sugar apple juice, sugar free Italian ice/popsicles, sugar free jell-o, are all good options for your first few home. Good luck and thoughts for your surgery!!

Congrats! You already got some good advice!

What medications will I go home with? Because of the band I now have extreme Gas and indigestion.will it get worse? Heart burn and acid? And how about pain?

I was sent home with omeprazole (just prescription strength prilosec) and Percocet. Luckily I haven't really experienced any heart burn or bad gas. I'm sure your doctor will take into account the severity of yours prior to the scripts. :-)

How many people are getting liquid pain meds or do most give you pills? I have a fear of pills post op but maybe you crush them?

I was sent home with Omeprazole. Even though I have not had any reflux, it is mostly given so that you do not get any ulcers while healing. You end up taking this medication for 2 months then they discontinue. Also was sent home with pain medication. I did not take it because the pain I was feeling in my shoulders was from the gas they used when they were operating on your tummy.

Good question @@downsizingdiva

anyone know whether it will be liquid pain meds or pill form?

I have butterflies in my butt. I go in tomorrow. I'm so nervous. I cleaned my whole house did all my laundry and today I'm going to pack my bag. :@ freaking out a little. I have the band in now and it was a complete failure not due to anything I did but it has to come out I will be so grateful when it is out it is made my life a living hell the last year. So I'm a little scared that this is going to fail to but I know its just my mind.

Good morning!

Pain pills were given in a pill form upon release from the hospital. I was also sent home with a pill grinder that doubled as a splitter. I was told I could have pills that were smaller than a pencil eraser, it was too difficult to swallow so I grinded them. Omezaprale was in a tablet so you could open and use the granules only. Then you just put it mixed with a little apple sauce and youre good!

Good luck tomorrow! Im sure you'll do wonderfully. Being the Lapband failed I'm sure you'll have more determination than most! Don't give up! You'll have moments where you'll feeling like what did I do to myself. Or Im not capable of following what the doctor wants. Or I ate too much let me go vomit and wallow in self pity. You'll have many not so wonderful thoughts and concerns and generally they'll be normal. Just push forward everyday and things do and will get better. This is a new journey leave your old one in the past. :-) good luck again hope everything goes well and cant wait for you to be able to start this new chapter of your life!

Edited by Aranks

Thank u. Any tips on the the first couple of days. Do and don'ts? I'm so nervous just a few hours I will be driving to the hospital it is 2 hours from me I have to endure a two hour car ride before the surgery :/

Was the 24-hour hospital stay boring or will I sleep the whole time