Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever eat pasta again?

I'm currently on the mushie stage and doing okay with it. I am ready for Thursday when I can start eating basically anything. However, my doctor says to "try to avoid Pasta, white rice, bread". My question is I wonder if that's because it's a good diet thing to now have those high carb items or will it be detrimental to the band? I really can't see NEVER having pasta again. Is there someone out there who is able to have it in moderation?

It's because they are high-carb (and often low nutritional value) foods. There is also a concern by some that these types of grain products can swell in the pouch, which I don't buy into. I eat chicken parmesan with Pasta almost every day for lunch, and I'm losing weight just fine and nothing has "swelled" in my pouch. Moderation is the key.

I'm currently on the mushie stage and doing okay with it. I am ready for Thursday when I can start eating basically anything. However, my doctor says to "try to avoid Pasta, white rice, bread". My question is I wonder if that's because it's a good diet thing to now have those high carb items or will it be detrimental to the band? I really can't see NEVER having Pasta again. Is there someone out there who is able to have it in moderation?

There are several reasons for avoiding pasta. One of them is the one you mentioned: "it's a good diet thing." But the reason your doctor probably mentioned it is because these types of white flour and refined starchy things get stuck quite frequently. When the band is adjusted so that it is actually working as it is designed, many people find that they simply cannot eat bread, pasta, rice, etc.

But here's the secret that the doctor did not tell you: Most people find that their tastes change with the band, and they actually stop wanting to eat may of the things that they "should not" eat. It's hard to explain how or why that happens, but many people find that this is true. The band is not about a lifetime of deprivation. You will almost surely not find that you sit there craving pasta. More likely you will find that you just stop wanting it.

And finally, during those times when the band is a bit loose, where you really should be going in for a fill, during those times you'll probably find that you can still eat some pasta.

When the band is properly adjusted, though, you will probably not want to be eating pasta and bread. After getting "stuck" a few times, bread just ain't what it used to be, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that I might be able to try it on occassion and see how it goes. I guess that's the only way I'll know. By no means do I want to eat it all the time, but it's a great quick meal. Before being banded, I had also already made the attempt to switch to whole wheat Pasta. Maybe that would be even less likely to cause issues.

....But here's the secret that the doctor did not tell you: Most people find that their tastes change with the band, and they actually stop wanting to eat may of the things that they "should not" eat. It's hard to explain how or why that happens, but many people find that this is true. The band is not about a lifetime of deprivation. You will almost surely not find that you sit there craving Pasta. More likely you will find that you just stop wanting it....

I've heard some bandsters say this and I'm wondering if it's the norm. I'll have to search and see if there is poll on this. My tastes certainly have not changed at all. I still want to eat Cookies and chocolate. The difference with the band is that I want to eat 1-2 Cookies instead of 1-2 dozen cookies. My cravings have definitely subsided, along with the desire to eat myself into oblivion, but my actual tastes have not changed a bit. OK, I'm off to search for that poll.

I've heard some bandsters say this and I'm wondering if it's the norm. I'll have to search and see if there is poll on this. My tastes certainly have not changed at all. I still want to eat Cookies and chocolate. The difference with the band is that I want to eat 1-2 Cookies instead of 1-2 dozen cookies. My cravings have definitely subsided, along with the desire to eat myself into oblivion, but my actual tastes have not changed a bit. OK, I'm off to search for that poll.

I think it's partly a "Pavlovian Dog" type of thing. Meaning, if you get "stuck" and "PB" every time you eat a chocolate chip cookie, you might find that you just stop wanting them. From the sound of things, they are still going down fine for you. In that case, your cravings may stay the same. Glad to hear that you only want 1 or 2. :)

I've been able to eat the Barilla Plus Pasta - it has fewer carbs and also adds Omega 3, Protein, Fiber and stuff. Check the ingredients if you're sensitive to anything (i.e. eggs).

I'll admit that so far, my tastes have NOT changed. As I stated elsewhere, it might take me 12 hours, but I know in my heart I could still eat a pan of brownies :)

I've lost weight perfectly successfully eating Pasta, rice and bread as part of my daily diet. I try to choose the wholegrain varieties when possible, and avoid carbs that are too processed but on occasion I'll eat fresh fluffy white bread.

I know that the high protein/low carb method has its merits and its followers but it is not the only way to lose weight. For most people it still just comes down to calories in v calories out.

I find that I can eat Pasta w/ no problems. I don't eat it a lot. I find it eat it when I treat myself to a dinner out. I usually try to make sure it is mixed w/ either seafood or lots of vegetables. I do believe if you are going to eat pasta to try to eat a wheat pasta. It is better for you.;)

It's true my taste has truly changed. Sweets do not taste the same and Liquor does not taste the same It's weird but true:D

I still eat Pasta sometimes, just in smaller amounts. I try everything and if something doesn't work one week, I try it again in a few more weeks. It's amazing what you can eat sometimes and not other times.

I am not banded yet but I can say that about 3 months ago we switched from using regular Pasta to the wheat grain/whole wheat pasta and it is just as good. I actually thought my kids (teenagers) would say they don't like it (just because they are teens and it is healthy haha) but they both tell me they can not taste the difference and either can I or my husband. We use it in whatever we make or have that requires pasta. Try it out.

Congrats on getting banded. I am sooooooo envious of you and can't wait to join you losers (no pun intended). Good luck on your journey.

This was one of the first questions I asked myself. There is so much Pasta being cooked in my big family, you'd think we were all Italian. It's one of my FAVORITE foods ever.. And since being on the last and final stage I HAVE eaten Pasta without any problems. I just eat a smaller portion of it.

I also notice my cravings/taste for certain things have not changed either. But like someone said up top.. Only ONE or TWO Cookies will do - I don't want a dozen either, Like I would have before.

It's because they are high-carb (and often low nutritional value) foods. There is also a concern by some that these types of grain products can swell in the pouch, which I don't buy into. I eat chicken parmesan with Pasta almost every day for lunch, and I'm losing weight just fine and nothing has "swelled" in my pouch. Moderation is the key.

I think there might be some truth to the swelling. I can eat a huge salad with no problem. However, every single time I eat Pasta (spaghetti, ziti, rotini, etc.) it comes right back up after just a few bites. I tried loading it up with Tomato sauce and chewing it to death but no matter what I do, it's one of those foods I just don't seem able to tolerate.

I can not eat Pasta or rice no matter how many times I chew or how little a bit I take. It just sticks and sticks and sticks more!!!! I will live without it.:clap2: :clap2: