Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't know about anyone else but I finally had to make it public knowledge on Facebook that I had surgery bc I was getting tons of messages after I posted a pic in a cute dress after losing 70 pounds! People were full of comments but wanted me to share what had worked for me! I originally didn't want everyone to know I had surgery but I did not want to be dishonest either! Has anyone else had to do this or how did you finally tell everyone?

For me I have been very open even prior to surgery. My surgery was 11-4 and I've lost about 25lbs thus far. Because I've been very open about the process people felt they could ask me questions and I have enjoyed sharing my process along they way. For the most part everyone has been supportive and I've been fortunate not to have much negative feedback. I see this as a blessing because I have heard others haven't had the same reactions from others. I have and do see this as a positive in my life. I made a choice to do something and I'm sticking through with it. My reward will be in the end. A health human being both physically and mentally. :) I tell everyone and I'm not ashamed of my choice.

I haven't posted it on Facebook, but I've been up front about my surgery from the beginning. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable misleading people to think my weightloss was from diet and exercise alone. So when anyone asks, I tell them I had surgery and answer any questions they have. Being open and educating people about what is involved and how much work we still have to do can only help with the stigma that our society has about obesity and WLS.

Fortunately, my honesty has been met with very positive responses. People are curious about the procedure ( Most have only heard about Lapband and bypass) and the fact I went to Mexico adds another bit of excitement to the story. In the end, everyone is happy for me and some admittedly jealous, but in a friendly, "good for you, wish I was brave enough to do that" kind of way. The two negative responses I got I just ignored and moved on with another topic. One was a friend terrified of doctors and surgery in general, and the other was pure jealousy....their problems, not mine.

Good luck with your journey and good for you for being brave enough to post on Facebook and comfortable enough to share your decision to have surgery. I'm glad I did.

I'm definitely not ashamed and have been open and honest will friends and family but wasn't sure how to go about it after the weight started drastically coming off but now that I have revealed it publicly I have gotten lots of compliments and encouragement! It's been tough but definitely thankful I had the surgery done!

I think the only negative I have had is from my 80 year old grandma! Lol...everyone else is thrilled for me and tons of people have asked lots of questions! I do want people to understand surgery is not an easy quick fix! It's hard! But the results are worth it!

The picture that sparked the surgery reveal!

post-224490-14182206356414_thumb.jpg

I know someone who used their surgery results to sell beach body products and I find it very disturbing! So there was no way I could mislead anyone!

I have been open about it from the get go, I have talked about my pre-op visits to the surgeon, day of surgery and after on Facebook. My reason for doing this is because I want to show those I love and care about that this works. Also, I have been the person that has watched people drop weight and beat myself up because I could not do the same. I did not want anyone doing that because of me. I have had people openly comment on facebook with questions and I have had some PM me. I'm not pushing anyone toward WLS but I want to help people that may be thinking about it. BTW, your picture is awesome, it might be the hair but you really look like two different people.

Thanks, yes the hair is way different. It's hard for me to believe the after picture is me! I have had about 10 people pm in the last 24 hours wanting to know about the procedure. I want to be open and honest and let them know that it's been what was best for me but everyone is different. If someone is not serious about a life style change they should not do it bc it drastically changes your life!

I tell people but I won't post it on FB, nothing's safe on FB anymore!

I tell people but I won't post it on FB, nothing's safe on FB anymore!

I told my hairdresser/nail tech, so it was practically like posting on social media!

I stopped short of a Facebook announcement, but I don't hide it by any means. I follow multiple bariartic support sites on FB so it's not a secret and I'm honest with anyone who asks about my weight loss methods. When people ask what I've done to look and feel so great they are generally saying "I want some of what you got"! For me, I'd feel dishonest and like I was doing both of us a dis-service if I didn't include the whole truth in my answer. You never know who needs to see the example you've become either for themselves or for a loved one who is struggling. Living that example is part of what helps me stay on track and I'd not hide it for anything!

All my friends and co-workers know and are very supportive. And if anyone asks how I lost 95 pounds in 5 1/2 months, I tell them, "Good clean livin', diet, exercise....and bariatric surgery." It's usually good for a laugh. Everyone has been great, and many people are fascinated by the surgery and ask lost of questions. If anybody has disapproved, they've kept it to themselves. So it's all been good!

I told every one that I a, friends with or related to. Most of the people I work with know also. One of my coworkers, has recently lost weight through Weight Watchers. We compare weight loss and exercise tips. Her journey is done I'm half way there,but even though we've used different methods to lose weight it's nice to have the support. Only pain in the but thing is when people ask me how I'm feeling, my dad usually asks this right after he asks how much weight I've lost. Luckily I can truthfully say great!, because I am.